PDA

View Full Version : Curve to Polygon conversion problem

EnthroneD
03-13-2008, 06:44 PM
Hi

Im trying to convert a curve to a polygon face. I need the polygon vertices to follow the exact same profile of the curve and have a face. When i convert the polygon using Make>Polygon, it ends up with an irregular mesh. I've tried patching it, but it gives me a polygon that folds over itself. Any suggestions?

Thanks!!
http://www.screenshots.cc/out.php/i3343_Untitled1copy.jpg

MrBook
03-13-2008, 08:13 PM
I think that geometry->polygon->make is meant to convert vertices to polys, not spline curves. This is what the documentation says:

"The Make Poly command will use the currently selected vertices to create a polygon. The order in which the vertices were created (or selected) will determine the direction of the normal. If an edge loop is selected, a new polygon will be created from those edges and selection order is not important.

This command can be found on the modo Tools toolbar on the Polygon tab."

I too am having trouble figuring out the spline patch tool, so I'm afraid I won't be any help there (perhaps someone will chime in and enlighten us...anyone?). However, I think that if all you need to do is "follow the exact same profile of the curve and have a face," then you might be on the right track with make>polygon. Instead of using a spline curve, just use the Vertex Tool under the Vertex tab. Click to create points in a counter-clockwise motion following the contour of where you *would* put a spline if you were using one (because you're not. you're using vertices.) THEN, with all of the vertices still selected, call Make>Polygon. From the dropdown menu you can choose to make a plain poly surface, a subd one, or even a spline curve.

I hope this helps.

Jason.

paulhart
03-14-2008, 04:50 AM
Splines are wonderful, powerful, and often confounding. To do what you seem to want:
Create your curve shape (Curve, click create or Bezier, Sketch. Sketch creates a blizzard of points, not always your intent. Curve and Bezier, less so.) Select the Open points and Join them. Now... select the curve as a Polygon, not as an Edge, by double clicking on it in Polygon mode, then choose Freeze, either from the Curve menu or from the top Geometry>Freeze. It will generate a conforming curve, putting in points to maintain the curved shape. It will also, automatically create a flat polygon as a result, so you won't have to select the points in order, which is necessary if the selection is dropped.
The rules for Patching Splines are much more exacting. Connected curve of three or four points only. Each curve can have many points, but the connections can only be 3 or 4. The difference is that these curves can move in different directions dimensionally, can be left to re-adjust if the "Freeze" command is "Unchecked" in the Patch menu, and generate a polygon mesh at whatever density that you want.
Hope this helps.

EnthroneD
03-17-2008, 02:58 AM
Thanks a mill Jason for that bit of info. It does the job, but creating it with vertices makes it a little cumbersome.

The rules for Patching Splines are much more exacting. Connected curve of three or four points only. Each curve can have many points, but the connections can only be 3 or 4. The difference is that these curves can move in different directions dimensionally, can be left to re-adjust if the "Freeze" command is "Unchecked" in the Patch menu, and generate a polygon mesh at whatever density that you want.

paulhart, could you please explain this part? Im not sure i understood the procedure properly. Thanks anyway for all the help :)

::keith::
03-17-2008, 12:20 PM
If it's a closed single curve, simply select 'freeze' from the curve pallete. Tick the 'Freeze curves as faces' option.

If you want to use spline patching, the area should be defined by four curves. Make sure their verts are joined where the curves meet. Then use the patch tool. I think the help video for the patch tool will make things clearer.

Cheers,
Keith

CGTalk Moderation
03-17-2008, 12:20 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.