PDA

View Full Version : finding and landing on target problem

Debneyink
03-13-2008, 05:10 PM
I have a sphere flying around and i want particles to be attracted to it. Im using lock bond and once theyre on there its fine, but whlist they find their target(the sphere) they seem to go to the original position of the sphere then appear on it where ever it happens to be at that point?

how do i get the flying particles to head towards the sphere catching up with it and landing on it as it moves?

thanks,

JohnnyRandom
03-13-2008, 06:58 PM
hey Christian,

did you select "mesh objects" instead of "icon" under the find target ops params?

-John

Debneyink
03-13-2008, 07:13 PM
yeah ive ticked all the boxes Ive used pflow quite a bit so i know the basics but its being problematic? i basically want to replicate what would happen if you got a pcloud and put the particles from that on a sphere and flew it around and it left a trail in its path even on sharp turns

JohnnyRandom
03-13-2008, 07:23 PM
I figured you have:) I overlook simple stuff all the time:D

So if I understand correct, you have a "cloud" of non moving particles. The sphere is moving through the cloud and you want the sphere to pick up the particles that it collides with as it moves through and basically leave an empty trail or particleless where the sphere has been?

Debneyink
03-13-2008, 07:30 PM
What im TRYING to do is this

a thousand squares form a word. DONE THAT.
the squares then blow away circle around for a bit then fly across the screen doing this...

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ew6Jp74vaN4&feature=related

a trail of particles leaving a sprinkling behind them

hope thats clearer??

Bobo
03-13-2008, 07:50 PM
how do i get the flying particles to head towards the sphere catching up with it and landing on it as it moves?

Probably a stupid question, but do you have "Follow Target Animation" checked?

JohnnyRandom
03-13-2008, 07:51 PM
argh, Man I'm bloody dense, I see what your saying, sorry, words are sometimes difficult for me to decypher, a picture is worth a thousand words.

So the squares are flying around, in your example do they all begin to meet up at a certain point and begin to follow a path? as they gather your need to emit a trails of particles.

Kinda rebuilt what I think your talking about and it seems the lock/bond is acting very erratically, particles aren't fully bonding to the object, and actually flying off abnormally.

I have to try it in max 8 see if it still is quirky

max2008 it should work but lock and bond seem to be having issues

Debneyink
03-14-2008, 11:39 AM
Thanks alot for that il check out your scene now

respect

Debneyink
03-14-2008, 11:48 AM
I grabbed a random walk from a tut file as when ever i try to use my own it seems to make my particles go nuts. ive tried reducing the influence but random walk just makes everything disappear. So i brought one in from a tut file, for one thing it seems like a different type of random walk in its attributes?? and also it changes the material of my grouped planes but only when the Pflow is that event??

world of the strange.

JohnnyRandom
03-14-2008, 04:55 PM
Hey I had some time last night and built a flow in max8 it seems that either I did something wrong or one of the betas I'm testing may have had some issues with the lock and bond op.

As for the random walk that is strange as there is no calling of materials in it, have you tried using the Box#3>data operator>load preset>Random Walk?

You may try if it, doesn't conflict with any other textures, try dropping you material operator in the global render node.

This scene seems to work as it should, Max8 with only PFbox#1 + 10.66 update.

Debneyink
03-14-2008, 05:48 PM
thanks man ill take a look. i havent got max 2008 yet! not sure why? just a bit set in my ways...

much appreciated

www.chrisdebney.com (http://www.chrisdebney.com)

JohnnyRandom
03-14-2008, 06:38 PM
no worries, my max8 install is super clean, and I trust it to work as it should.

Hehe 2k8 is already 2k9, I have only been messing around with it for a month or so (testing ground), spent/wasted a couple days installing 32 & 64 bit versions, plugins, scripts, and UI on a few machines, to find out there releasing 2009 at the end of the month. Man what do you do?:shrug:

Still using 8 & 9 too when I need to get stuff done:)

BTW great short;)

Debneyink
03-14-2008, 07:20 PM
took a look at you max scene good work, your right about that lock bond though, glitchy!

Im curious about this random walk you mentioned. So far my experience with random walk was sing the free blur one on the older particle systems whne I try to use it with Pflow it goes nuts im guessing there another random walk to use with plfow????

cheers, yeah, took four weeks hard slog, got commisioned by BMG to do an online promo to celebrate the release of the foos album and this was what sprung to mind!

JohnnyRandom
03-14-2008, 07:36 PM
You mentioned Random Walk and immidiately assumed you had Particle Flow Tools Box#3.

It is included as an operator or can be opened with the Data Operator.

Was that piece included on a Stash DVD, I thought I had seen it someplace before.

CGTalk Moderation
03-14-2008, 07:36 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.