PDA

View Full Version : Mac question. Please don't kill me! :)

Paul L. Ming
04-18-2002, 01:40 PM
Hiya.

My question is "simple": For Mac OSX, has anyone got any good info and/or experience running...

Lightwave 7
Cinema 4D XL 7.3
Maya X (whatever version it's at for MacOSX; 3.5?)
Any other "really good" package for it???

My reason for asking is simple: I've had it with Microsoft crap. I'm not ditching my current Win2k box (dual PIII 600, 256SDRAM, Oxygen GVX1 Pro, etc.), as I need it to play a few games, and run XSI & Max. But my next "big system" is not going to be Winblows of any variety.

Thanks for any help! :)

Imagineer
04-18-2002, 06:34 PM
They all run great on the Mac...

Most folks around here will go on about how the Mac is to slow, the graphics cards suck, etc. ...

BUT!!! The truth is, it all comes down to what YOU the user are comfortable with, and what you feel is an adequate level of interactivity...

I remember using PowerAnimator on everything from Indys to a full-blown Onyx2 with 16 CPUs and quad graphics pipelines...

It all is the same, you get the work done...

Personally, I would wait a bit before purchasing a new Mac, as there might be some things coming out in the next six months that will turn the tables on the 'preferred Maya platform' front, hopefully @ Siggraph this year, but possibly as late as Macworld 2003...

As for me, I wouldn't use anything but a Mac, unless of course, I were to go into a shop which didn't have Macs... But I would ask for one, over & over!

I have used Wintel, Macs & SGI, and I still find the Mac the most efficient machine to work with throughout a long day...

In the end it is up to you what you want to use... For those who go on about how Macs suck, well, it all comes down to what the final render looks like, doesn't it?!?

For those who read this and feel obligated to flame me, just because I prefer the Mac platform, piss off!

; ^ p

UrbanFuturistic
04-19-2002, 07:11 PM
I've been hearing many things about new technology from many quarters (one of the reasons I'm not upgrading certain hardware at the mo') but the only one related to the mac was that the G5's gonna be a 64 Bit chip and the pre-production ones blow the P4 out of the water. This have anything to do with your waiting?

regards, Paulhttp://homepage.ntlworld.com/odubtaig/smilies/smoker.gif

Rabid pitbull
04-20-2002, 08:09 AM
no flame wars here.....:D

funny thing is i am in opposite boat! i just bought a new pc cause my current machine is unable to perform well with LW. granted i have a B/W 450(nearly 3 yr old) i would need a new machine either way. problem is mac even in its baddest dual config is sloooooow in all ways and very limited in the plug in support in comparision to a modern pc for LW. Dont get me wrong, i am very pleased with the performance in other apps, and still see a good value in having it around for 2D work.

Maya is supposed to be pretty good on mac (although a half version behind pc i think...), and i have heard that cinema 4D is excellent on the mac as well. so it really depends on what your going with. of course no Max studio or Xsi on mac....

ALIASWAVE
04-20-2002, 11:13 AM
The G5 is going to beat a P4 or Xeon.
Its not going to beat Amd Claw/Sledge hammer 64-bit chip
with 6x AGP.
I have a Dual G4 Mac and a Pc running dual Xp's and the mac runs Maya and Lightwave like $@#$.
Their is a chance that Motorola is not going to make anymore Mac processors after the G5.
So Apple is looking to move its system to a intel base platform
thats why they move to OSX so the code will be easy to change to the intel box.(If Motorola quits)

I think the mac is easier but too SLOW for 3d apps.

UrbanFuturistic
04-20-2002, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by ALIASWAVE
The G5 is going to beat a P4 or Xeon.
Its not going to beat Amd Claw/Sledge hammer 64-bit chip with 6x AGP.Make that 8x AGPThere is a chance that Motorola is not going to make anymore Mac processors after the G5.
So Apple is looking to move its system to a intel base platform thats why they move to OSX so the code will be easy to change to the intel box.(If Motorola quits)I thought they moved to OSX because even Win95 made OS9 look archaic in it's structure (especially concerning protected memory and pre-emptive multitasking). I've seen speculation that this might be a move for Apple but unless Mr Jobs manages to work some proprietary hardware into the mix to avoid losing out on their already limited hardware market I don't really see it happening.

Paul L. Ming
04-22-2002, 12:11 PM
Hiya.

*sigh* I was hoping for an opposite reaction (e.g., "MacOSX and {3d package} work AWESOME together!"). :(

From the sound's of it, if I want some solid stability and speed, I have to go with a 3d app that is written with native OSX code...like Cinema4D XL 7.3. That's kinda what I expected, but I was hoping none the less.

Maybe I'll have to re-think my purchase and look into...shudder...Linux runing XSI. Anyone?

If I have to stick with Microcrap box, any suggestions for OS? I'm running Win2kPro, and it is my favored over all the WinOS's yet. Stick with Win2k or move to XP Pro Ed.? As for a box...what about a Boxx? I talked (email) with one nice lady from there a few months back when I was doing some checking, and the Boxx boxes sounded pretty damn sweet. Throw in a RenderBoxx and you're set! :)

Well, I'll hold off a few more months I think, and see what happens with MacOSX and the whole Apple thing.

Thanks for all the replies so far. :)

SheepFactory
04-22-2002, 09:56 PM
i am the happy owner of a 3d boxx , just got it last week (yay) , let me tell you , my friend has a dual g4 with g force 4 mx in it we put them side by side and Boxx blew it away in both 2d and 3d render times. And its really stable , due to the fact that Boxx selects their components and drivers very wisely , you dont run into the troubles you would normally run into if you build your pc yourself with random parts.

I love macs , but if i were to choose between the two i would definitely go with Boxx.

ps:did i mention quadro 4 900 rocks :D ,

hope this helps

A|i

UrbanFuturistic
04-23-2002, 01:23 AM
Originally posted by Paul L. Ming
Maybe I'll have to re-think my purchase and look into...shudder...Linux runing XSI. Anyone?
After using a Mac?

:eek:

The Culture shock! Think of the children!
Linux may rock a mighty phat one as far as stability and performance are concerned but damn it ain't easy to use by any stretch of the imagination :thumbsdow

anobrin
04-30-2002, 12:05 AM
HI,
To answer your question directly
I use Cinema4DXL7.3
and lightwave 7 on a macintosh
and i also do DV editing in final cut pro 3
and postproduction in adobe after effects 5.5 pro bundle
and i just got a Seat of DVD studio pro 1.5.
All in OSX.1.4 of course.
forget the ancient tchnology of OS9!!
its dead to me

I frankly dont have time call my friends with super PCs
and render speed test ,as all of my render cycles are for
my animated short film.

get yourself a formidable machine
of any OS and LEARN your software
and produce something fun with it
other than benchmark speed tests

here is some of my cinema animations:

http://66.70.166.29/promo/deep3.mpg

http://66.70.166.29/promo/brigade.mpg

http://66.70.166.29/promo/rainwlk.mpg

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.