PDA

View Full Version : Proper Methods for Editing Skinned Meshes

muckywetnoodle
05-06-2003, 08:51 PM
I was wondering what the proper method for editing skinned objects is? It seems a lot of the info I've read and gone over explains how to do specific things with skinning being the final step. What if you want to edit your mesh or UVs after it's skinned? Do you need to export all the weight maps and then rebind and import the maps?

For instance, I skinned a model, and finished the rigging as I like to tweak joints as I go so the UV mapping has to wait. I duplicated my model and mapped the duplicate and then transferred the UVs back to my skinned mesh but somewhere along the way I deleted the smooth skin node. Did I miss something or do you need to re-skin every time?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

gmask
05-07-2003, 03:33 AM
I think there are some tips on this..but generally speaking you don't want to go back and forth like that.

muckywetnoodle
05-07-2003, 05:37 AM
Thanks. Yeah, I was doing some reading up here (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=44240) and it gives me a general idea what to do if need be. Something I'll probably just work on along the way. I've found clusters (on spline IK) disappear under certain circumstances as well. I think it's a matter of coming to terms with how all the nodes behave together.

YankyBJeans
05-07-2003, 09:00 AM
clusters dissapear if you delete the history in your scene, deleting the history on anything but the skin deletes the clusters too. I found that out the hard way.

Yanky

muckywetnoodle
05-08-2003, 02:41 AM
Aha, yes, that sounds familiar. I've had them dissapear and start creating parent groups for themselves when reparenting the clusters.

Flo
05-08-2003, 05:54 PM
you should also keep the intermediate object in mind ...when doing changes down the pipeline (ie change the model geometry for a bound mesh)

I am just about to write a tutorial on this ...
stay tuned.
Flo

muckywetnoodle
05-09-2003, 08:11 PM
:thumbsup:

antweiler
05-14-2003, 08:11 PM
I find the scripts ImportSkin weights /ExportSkinweights very useful, rather than using the weightmaps. It saves out the weights for each vertex, so dont change anything in the mesh, but cool for getting rid of the history
Anti

loked
05-15-2003, 10:36 AM
Hey,

That import/export weights script, is it available for 4.5 and where can you get it. Thanks!

Loked

Doogie
05-16-2003, 11:22 PM
I think the one they are talk'n about is avaliable at highend3d.com

sds_poly_smooth_weights_export
sds_poly_smooth_weights_import

do a search (they wont let me link to them)

it say's it's 4.x compatable... Mel doesn't change that much between versions.

I think i saw something else on there, but i think this is the script they're referring to.

muckywetnoodle
05-17-2003, 12:23 AM
Is that the same thing as using "Skin > Edit Smooth Skin > Import/Export Skin Weight Maps?"

Doogie
05-17-2003, 03:37 AM
this script exports a text file w/ the weights.... maya makes an image for each joint (with the weights).

I have never had that thing work in maya (itll export, just wont import), nor have i met anyone who has had that work. Apparently the script works (but i wouldnt become dependant on it)

-Paul

RichSuchy
05-20-2003, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by antweiler
I find the scripts ImportSkin weights /ExportSkinweights very useful, rather than using the weightmaps. It saves out the weights for each vertex, so dont change anything in the mesh, but cool for getting rid of the history
Anti

would that work if I wanted to add extra bones later. recently i did a quick smoothbind for something that didnt need hand articulation. soooo I didnt bone the hands. is it possible to do that now, reskin the model then aply the import skin weights... perhaps it would just assign zero weight to the new bones?

Rich

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.