PDA

View Full Version : Important folders??

unrealwarfare
05-06-2003, 08:31 PM
How important are these folders:

Drive:\Program Files\Common Files - it takes up a sh*t load of space, so i was wondering if its really important, and could i delete it?

Drive:\Windows\Application Data - doesn't take up much, but is it ok to remove it?

I'm not sure if winXp contains these folders, but 2000/98 do.

Thanks a bunch.

gmask
05-06-2003, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by unrealwarfare
How important are these folders:

Drive:\Program Files\Common Files - it takes up a sh*t load of space, so i was wondering if its really important, and could i delete it?

Drive:\Windows\Application Data - doesn't take up much, but is it ok to remove it?

I'm not sure if winXp contains these folders, but 2000/98 do.

Thanks a bunch.

Well you might disable the functonality of some of your programs by doing so.

singularity2006
05-07-2003, 12:13 AM
my advice is if u dunno wtf it is, don't touch it - u'll regret it later. I learned that the long and hard way. =D

gmask
05-07-2003, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by singularity2006
my advice is if u dunno wtf it is, don't touch it - u'll regret it later. I learned that the long and hard way. =D

The best way I have found to cleanup the mess and bloat that windows makes after using it for a year or more is to isntall linux.. na just kidding .. seriously after ahile a fresh install is a good idea.

DaForce
05-07-2003, 12:24 AM
I would leave those folders alone if i were you. They are kinda system folders and will cause you lots of problems if you delete them.

huydoan.com
05-07-2003, 03:23 AM
use a program called system mechanic. it goes through your drives and removes temp files.

don't delete anything from the common files. that's where programs like adobe soandso and microsoft soandso keep important system files.

you can delete any thing that ends in .tmp

a file you can get rid of is that damn dr. watson dump file. It's located usually in this folder.

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\DrWatson

unrealwarfare
05-07-2003, 01:55 PM
yeah, i got rid of dr.watson... its been giving me troubles all the time... plus i dont use any programs to clean my tmps, i just clean delete them myself... i like how i have control of it because you never now what programs like those really do.

Neison
05-07-2003, 04:00 PM
One thing I've done in the past was move seemingly useless folders to the recycle bin with the theory that progs lookin for em wouldn't find em. If everything works fine for a few days after using your progs, etc. just empty the recycle bin. If stuff screws up, put em back :)

I'm no guru and my theory may be incorrect, but it hasn't gone wrong yet :shrug:

illicit
05-07-2003, 04:36 PM
I'm not really sure about the common folder, but the application data is used for storing stuff like preferences for applications. The easiest way I've found for testing the removal of stuff is to rename it. Make the folder "Application Data OLD" and any program that is looking for "Application Data" will not find the OLD version.

unrealwarfare
05-08-2003, 12:38 AM
yeah, but serious, does everyone have a sh*t load of folders in Common Files folder??? i mean, if i expand everything, it'll take up five pages even in high rez. plus, there are names of progs i haven't even heard of ... they seem like they are custom, but i've never installed them in my life.

gmask
05-08-2003, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by unrealwarfare
yeah, but serious, does everyone have a sh*t load of folders in Common Files folder??? i mean, if i expand everything, it'll take up five pages even in high rez. plus, there are names of progs i haven't even heard of ... they seem like they are custom, but i've never installed them in my life.

How long has it bene since you installed your OS? One thing I have found is that many time seven when you uninstall a program it leaves little droppings all over the place. programs like System Mechanic will clean up some of this nonsense but also be aware that various programs will and can install spybots on your computer. One such program is called gator. I've taken to Spybot Search and Destroy and Spyware Blaster over virus protection as most Virus programs do nothing to keep the spybots off your computer.

Anyway it's a real chore to get rid of this stuff and often I have found that windows will start act even weirder after you have mucked around with it too much.. you are better off reinstalling every thing.

illicit
05-08-2003, 12:00 PM
I completely agree with gmask, unless you know exactly what uses what don't just start deleting stuff. I usually do a backup of important files every month or so, and I usually reinstall windows once every 8 months to a year...:hmm:

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.