PDA

View Full Version : Bullet shell particles settling on ground

jogilvy
03-12-2008, 10:40 PM
Hi,
I'm sure this is an easy question for someone but as much as i try i cant work it out.

I am animating bullet shells coming out of a gun and landing on the floor. I was doing it with PArray but cant get the particles to settle flat on the floor. They just keep spinning.

I also tried dropping them with reactor which got them to land and settle on the floor well but gives no control coming out of the gun.

Can anyone please help or direct me to a tutorial that will help.

Thanks in advance.

JohnnyRandom
03-13-2008, 01:31 AM
Particle flow is the way to go, super simple setup, I can give you a quick rundown of how I would set it up.

OPen the particle view

Create a new empty pflow.

add a new event>birth, set the duration and amount of spent shells you want to emit.

add a postion icon, tick inheret emitter movement and set it to pivot. Move it to where you are ejecting shells from on the gun, match the size.

add a rotation (this is to rotate the shell casing to match the spent shell slot on the gun)

add a speed op (along arrow icon) and set it to something like 70 and add some divergence maybe 12

Add a shape instance, and select your spent shell casing. You can now use the rotate operator to align it correctly to the discharge slot.

Create a Gravity spacewarp and Add a force operator yto your pflow. Set the influence to 100%

add a spin operator and set the spin rate to something like 50 and Random3D

Create a standard deflector for your floor and add a collision test to your flow, then add the deflector.

create a new event and add Particle flow freebies stop gradually operator

Add a display operator to the flow and switch it to geometry.

Not perfect but without physics it close to as good as you are going to get.

Hit play:)

jogilvy
03-13-2008, 10:55 AM
Thanks a lot. appreciate the image a lot too.

I'm a bit of a newby to the particle side of things.
Never new bout those particle freebie things either.

I thought i read somewhere a while ago that a reactor event or something had been put into a newer version of pflow but i guess not. Havnt seen anything else about it.

cheers

OlegB
03-13-2008, 12:53 PM
I thought i read somewhere a while ago that a reactor event or something had been put into a newer version of pflow but i guess not.

That's Particle Flow Tools: Box#2 - currently under alpha/beta.

Thanks,
Oleg B.

CGTalk Moderation
03-13-2008, 12:53 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.