PDA

View Full Version : Village practice

RQuack
03-12-2008, 08:08 PM
Hey guys, just a quick practice piece I did to work on some invisible stuff. Still a little on the fantasy side but I hope it works. Did just simple sky adjustment among other things. I honestly can't remeber where I grabbed the plate from, I just hope it was royalty free (which I most almost always do). Please be picky and let me know anything you see, thanks!

-Ryan

Original:
http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/7758/villageanimationconceptcm1.jpg

Changed:
http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/32/villageanimationconceptwj1.jpg

Timmay
03-12-2008, 08:16 PM
Nice invisble idea.

I think the path leading up to the structure looks pasted on. From the camera's view, and the way the surrounding rocks are layed out, some rocks should obscure the path. I think that would help to set the path more into the plate.

Also, something seems off with the structures you added. It feels like it's leaning.

everlite
03-12-2008, 10:08 PM
I recognise that ref :) sxc i think. Anyway .. yeh looks interesting but a few issues, scale been the one for me, That said them windows in the original do look a little odd, they get smaller the closer they are. In fact the buildings seem to get small the closer they come to the camera!

Also would we see any shadows to the far right building?

Do a few more maybe.

Dave.

RQuack
03-13-2008, 01:35 AM
Alright, so hopefully fixed a few things. Not real sure when you say do a few more, just practice pieces you mean? Definitely will do more of these but won't move on until I'm happy with this one. And I totally know what you mean about the scale and perspective in this one, my perspective lines were all over the place when I was laying it out. Hoepfully it gives me a little more leeway with it. Thanks for the help guys. :)

everlite
03-13-2008, 01:55 AM
Looking good to me, it's a tough one to figure out with perspective lines on this. i guess you can assume the window are all aligned to the level of each floor, so thats one starting point. If you want to extend this further maybe extend 35% to the left and add a few smaller buildings to allow the composition to flow down. The power of three as they say :) everything works when in threes. Yeh actually that would be a good idea.

Dave.

TomasWarren
03-13-2008, 02:53 AM
I think it looks pretty good, just a couple of things are throwing me off at the moment, the main one being the topmost tower, it just doesn't seem to fit, it's windows are bigger than all the rest of the other buildings windows, despite being the furthest away from the viewer, and the perspective just doesn't seem right somehow, it is difficult though i know.

IMO the problem with perspective in matte paintings in general is that if one aspect is wrong then that can throw off everything else and it all seems wrong, even if it's just that one thing in wrong perspective! I think it must be something to do with the eye trying to decide which is right, it can't 'read' the image properly and can't decide between the two perspectives so it ends up somewhere in the middle and tells the brain that the whole image is wrong when really it's just that one element throwing it out....that's my hairbrained theory anyway :)

But yeah...maybe just take another look at that far tower..sometimes less can be more, i personally would reign it in a little bit

..but i also think you have a nice original photo..so i would continue working, developing other parts of the image, change it a bit more from the plate

keep it up!

RQuack
03-19-2008, 09:30 PM
One final update and I'll let the new AWChallenge devour this. I've extended off to the left like Dave suggested which I think works, and brought down the structure a bit and spread it out a little more. Like it's been said a few times, the perspective is all over the place in the first place it was tough attempting to put some sort of system in that works and hopefully it looks ok. Thanks for all the help and any last critiques would be fantastic. Thanks! :)

everlite
03-19-2008, 11:35 PM
Looks good to me:thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
03-19-2008, 11:35 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.