PDA

View Full Version : Cycling Problem * Art of Rigging 1 *( connection editor )

ozioz
03-12-2008, 07:28 PM
thing Hi guys;

I am gonno try to explain What happened to me as clear as I can...

Ok.. Here ıt is.... I have been following the tutorials of a great book from Cg Tool Kit.. As you can guess, That is Art of Rigging 1..

I was trying to make a strechy Ik chain. I followed the tutorial. I finished it. I did not recognize any warning or scaling issue on the screen at all. Then I saw something bugy on the joints. I opened up the script editor and read a warnig like that;

// Warning: Cycle on 'condition1.outColorR' may not evaluate as expected. (Use 'cycleCheck -e off' to disable this warning.)

As far as I know, cycling means connecting two different attribute with each other two times in a different hierarchy structure

For instance, parenting box1 to box2 and parenting box2 to box1 makes a cycling.

This is a bad situation which we should avoid while working with connections.

//------------------------------------------------------------

If you have Art Of Rigging 1 , please read the exercie 2.2...

If you do not; I am not sure that I can explain the whole process in this example.

You use 2 or 3 utilities and connection editor is on the screen ceaselessly...

By the way, My maya version is 2008. The original scene file has been created with an older version of Maya. I took a look at this original file and it has no problem. That works great!!!

I'll be waiting for your helps and be hapy with your fine solutions..

//-----------------------
//-----------------------

Guys...

I reliezed something.

I thing it is a Undo problem.

When the joint chain in its defult position, everything is ok. No warning.

If you move the IK handle and make your chain strechy, It works too..

No warning..

But, If you make any undo in order to get back to the defult position of the joint chain, warning comes and makes you anger. The point is that after making undo, your joints keep the scaled volues in defult transformation volues which indicate the defult position of the chain..

Know What I mean??

I just wanted to tell you...

What should I dooooo???

//------------------------------

Best Regards;

Ozioz

ozioz
03-14-2008, 05:38 PM
It is imposible ...

One of you must have this book.. Come oonnn!!!

mberglund
03-14-2008, 08:57 PM
Its not an undo problem. Sometimes you only see a cycle warning when you undo the action. I have the book and i didn't have that problem. i suggest doing it again slowly to make sure you did it correctly.

It seems art of rigging uses a the distance node. try point constraining one to the hip or shoulder and one to the ik handle instead of the ankle joint or wrist. see if that remove the cycle.

ozioz
03-15-2008, 05:10 PM
OK Man.. Thank you so much. I am gonno give it a try even though I have tried to do this for many times. If I cannot solve the problem again, I will send an e-mail containing my problem to the publisher. Hope they will return back to me with an e-mail.

See you soon..

Best Retgards

Ozioz

mberglund
03-16-2008, 10:28 PM
So here is what i do for strechy IK for the legs. Create a distance dimension nodes. one locator at the thigh joint and one at the ik handle. Point constraint one locater to the ik thigh joint, and one to the ik handle. go in to hypershade to get to the utility nodes. create a multiplyDivide node. open the Connection editor. select the distance node and press the arrow key down, to select the shapeNode. the shape node contains the distance info. load the distance shape node in the outputs of the connection editor and the mutilplyDivide in the inputs. connecte the distance to the xInput. Now go and add the translate X values of each joint from the knee to the ankle. the thigh probably doesn't contain a values. this will tell you the total lengths of the joints. enter this into the inputX2 of the multiplyDivide node. change it to divide mode. create a condition node and load it into the inputs of the connection editor. and the multiplyDivide node into the outputs. connect the outputX to the first term and colorIfTrueR. change the condition node to greater than, and change the second term to one. the values should be a little less then one in the first term and the inputR.
Now connect the outputR to the thigh and knee joints scaleX.

This is what i do and it doesn't contain a cycle error. so give that a try.

CGTalk Moderation
03-16-2008, 10:28 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.