PDA

View Full Version : /3GB switch & Messiah

MoodyB
03-12-2008, 10:41 AM
Hey all,

Does anyone happen to use the /3GB switch in Windows XP 32bit with Messiah ?

Just wondering if this is supported as I keep getting crashes when I use more than 2GB of memory and was hoping the /3GB switch would fix this ( have 4x1GB sticks of ram installed ) but it hasn't so far.

KAMAKAZZI
03-12-2008, 11:49 AM
I have a similar setup only I have 2 GB ram. I have a 64 bit machine with a 32 bit OS and yes, I too get instability with Messiah 3. It keeps crashing on me. You have a more sufficient setup so there shouldnt be any problems.

Sorry for not being much help. Just wanted to let you know that I have a similiar problem. Even the renderer in Messiah 3 is giving me problems.

Hope someone will respond to this one for it will help me out too!

Respectfully,

Cypher

MoodyB
03-12-2008, 12:57 PM
Messiah's pretty robust here if I don't breach the 2gb barrier. If I go past 2gb it crashes.

Ulven
03-12-2008, 12:58 PM
If you're getting a crash when it's hitting high ram counts (in the region of 2 gb), this is because of a problem with 32 bit windows not dealing very well with programs accessing this much memory. The 64 bit version of windows and messiah are both specifically designed to work around this problem. So if you can't upgrade, it's best to look at what is causing your scene to require this amount of ram.

A few tips for reducing ram amount required:

1. If you're using hair, go to ram and speed managment and reduce the hair subdivision levels to 2 or 1, and/or reduce the amount of hairs per cm.

2. If you're using very large imagemaps, see if you can get away with smaller sizes.

3. If you're using displacement, try reducing the sub levels in Displacement/Appearance. Often you can go much lower than you'd think. Also try switching to parametric (low ram).

4. If your scene itself is heavy (i.e. very heavy rigs, hundreds of nulls and effects etc) try looking at making more economical rigs. A lot can be achieved with very little.

5. If your objects are very heavy, try using more economic polyflow.

6. Your GI solution might be set too high, test reducing various numbers (possibly photons, but perhaps other numbers might affect it too)

7. If all else fails, render in layers, disabelling rendering of what you don't need.

kursad_pileksuz
03-12-2008, 07:04 PM
Make sure that ram chunks is disabled in the render settings as well.

Any application that passes 2gb limit in w32 will crash, except Zbrush I would say. It seemed to be able to use little more.

64bit upgrade is a must have if you are into rendering with messiah. It is stable and can render any file-poly count.

KAMAKAZZI
03-13-2008, 03:00 AM
Good info fellas. And as always, thanks for the tips Ulven.

It makes sense with the incompatible situations with 32 bit OS's.

Cypher

palpal
03-13-2008, 06:14 PM
I tried to create a win32bit system last year and in that one I had 4 gig of ram... it never worked... when an application hit the 1,78gig of ram mark it quit. There were another switch I set at the time, were it /pmc or something, can not remember... then some applications were steadier, but I never got that to work... after effects and maybe zbrush has a fix for these... but no other software I know of, at least from that time...

Yours PAL :bounce:

MoodyB
03-14-2008, 03:43 PM
Make sure that ram chunks is disabled in the render settings as well.

Any application that passes 2gb limit in w32 will crash, except Zbrush I would say. It seemed to be able to use little more.

64bit upgrade is a must have if you are into rendering with messiah. It is stable and can render any file-poly count.

Not saying this is 100% correct or if it would stop MS crashing when going over 2gb of ram useage, but apparently if the app has /largeaddressaware in it's exe's header, it allows it to use more than 2GB of ram in Xp 32bit :

http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=834590

http://www.keindesign.de/stefan/poser/3gb.html

CGTalk Moderation
03-14-2008, 03:44 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.