PDA

View Full Version : Collabarative Learning Project

mxdirector
12-31-2007, 10:41 PM
hello i am looking to start a small project with like minded beginners.

by beginners i mean, people who know and understand 3d, but perhaps need experience working with other, or development on their portfolio. beginners within the industry.

what i am looking for are artists, modellers, animators, whatever. who are keen to work with others, lack experience , but are keen to get some.

essentially i am reaching out to others, in the hope there are others like me. people who want to work with others, but arnt good enough yet to get serious jobs. people who want to build up a portfolio, instead of just mocking around, to have the critque of a team and the expectations and standards of others

the content of the project could be anything, as long as it is made by a group of people looking for experience.

please post or email me mxdirector@googlemail.com
if you are intrested or have any questions.

BOY1DA
01-01-2008, 02:46 AM
Have you checked out the other collaboration projects here.
There are many that have the same goal as what you posted.

Seems that everyone is starting new threads but nobody's
joining on to work with people with the same idea.

Here are a few with the same intent as you

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=73&t=454925

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=73&t=565477

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=73&t=503990

And there are many more...

softdistortion
01-01-2008, 08:12 PM
I thought the same Omar!...funny the collabunlimited idea is such a hard sell....i figued it would suit many of the "wanna start a team project " types and help get them together. :shrug:

mxdirector- if you are REALLY serious about wanting experience on a team, and have time and energy, PM or email, maybe you can help me get yours and others desires for proper team projects learning filled. :thumbsup:

mxdirector
01-01-2008, 11:12 PM
why dont i join other collabs.
1- they dont fill my personal criteria, and seem to be set in stone with something i dont particually enjoy or set in their ways.
2- to me they are quite intimidating. some at least. some are making full lenght movies? some have 100s of repiles, i would get lost in that. some i dont really know what they want.

i want to be a part of something from the beginning and have my input, and learn from others. and form some sort of professsional relationship.

please dont respond to this message, but as for collabunlimited.com . it doesnt jump out at you of what it is, i dont know how it works, what it does. although i have a vague idea of its unlimited collbrations, i only understood that from its title.

its basically a blog. how can that work as a basis of collabrations?

skAt3f0r71f3
01-02-2008, 07:44 PM
IM INTERESTED!:wavey:
Take a look at my work on my portfolio.
I've been doing 3d for about 5 months and Photoshop for about 8 months.

softdistortion
01-03-2008, 02:38 AM
All the best mate. ;)

Potemkyn
01-30-2008, 07:36 PM
I'd like to contribute also.

Po~

ankurgrover
02-18-2008, 10:57 AM
i am intersted:)

CKPinson
02-21-2008, 01:06 AM
looks like you've got some canidates, now ya'll need to develope an idea- whether it be a film (short or long) or simply a few 3D collab images to get warmed up- brainstorm and come up with something ya'll share an interest in- see where it goes.

pYcHan
02-22-2008, 09:46 AM
Hi,

I quite interested on this kind of project.. ^^ Count Me in if you guys have idea..i be uploading my portfolio soon..so check it out...

CKPinson
02-27-2008, 01:20 AM
Think the best solution is to brainstorm on this thread some ideas yall might have (doodles, sketches, models, concepts, scripts, whatever) then pick apart the things that match or fit and build off that.

Potemkyn
02-27-2008, 02:46 PM
Think the best solution is to brainstorm on this thread some ideas yall might have (doodles, sketches, models, concepts, scripts, whatever) then pick apart the things that match or fit and build off that.

What particular area should we focus on: Fantasy, Sci-Fi, real-world?

I've been tinkering around with 3D Max, creating an earth model, sun, moon, and stars. These have all been static. For animation, I only move the camera and the camera target. I also adjust the lighting. I'm also working on a few space ship models. I know what I want them to look like, and am moving them forward.

I've recently been working on a new fire. I've tired a combustion effect, PA array and a PF with wind. Hoping to make a good torch fire one of these days...

Mike
~Po

CKPinson
02-27-2008, 11:48 PM
Special FX always come in handy- I dig the scifi stuff myself, such as futuristic/space adventure. I've had a few thoughts of future/scifi plots but haven't had a chance to div in. I'd say setting a theme (scifi) would be a good start; however not necessary- everyone could simply describe their particular idea or setting, plot, theme, etc and then vote on or choose the best or most fessible one.

CKPinson
02-27-2008, 11:48 PM
Oh, and I'd start small and see how it goes then maybe try for something of a broader scope.

skAt3f0r71f3
02-28-2008, 07:39 PM
well right now i'm working on a skateboarding scene.
maybe a sports scene or animation.
people love that kind of stuff and you don't see skateboarding or any other action sports animations that often.

CKPinson
02-29-2008, 03:18 PM
Sure,that'd be something cool- Not to complicated to put together but enough to learn from. Start simple-

skAt3f0r71f3
02-29-2008, 07:44 PM
so how are we going to plan this?
how many people are there?
we need to get organized

CKPinson
02-29-2008, 11:23 PM
I haven't really thought further ahead- I've been kinda doing a solo side project where I intend to animate a fight scene segment from a movie but if some people show some interest in this then I'll commit. I'd say just throw some Jpegs or images on this Thread and then if it pans out and people are interested then probably setting up a Myspace or something just for the project might work? any other thoughts?

skAt3f0r71f3
03-01-2008, 01:47 AM
sounds like a good idea to me.
one promblem, my parents won't let me have a Myspace.:sad:(i'm only 17)

CKPinson
03-01-2008, 03:54 PM
No biggie- there's plenty of solutions- what 3d/2d software is everyone using so that we're on the same page- I've got Maya, Photoshop, Mudbox and Zbrush

Potemkyn
03-10-2008, 12:50 PM
I'm using 3D Max 8.5 and have PhotoShop 6.0.

Mike

CKPinson
03-10-2008, 11:42 PM
So how many do we have interested then? I was thinking of doing an action segment from a movie since I had already sort of started on something messing around- We'd need the environment/room modeled- textures and a character or 2 more.

Potemkyn
03-11-2008, 01:47 PM
Well, my character modeling skills are fairly weak - animation is nill. Not to say we couldn't do this, I could contribute in other ways.

Lighting
Camera actions
Atmosphere

Mike

CKPinson
03-11-2008, 09:26 PM
Well, I think that's basically the whole idea or point is that this is a noobie project- It's usually easier to learn or pickup concepts and techniques from a variety of people at different levels- I have 2 projects open right now- one that I thought might be a bit easier is to remake a small scene of an action sequence from a movie- get the timing down (matched to the realtime of the movie) and just use the audio from the movie- I know there are copyright stuff to consider but it'd be a start and it'd probably turn out pretty cool- I'm not sure how it'd go as far as using it for job leverage or in your portfolio (anyone feel free to chime in on that stuff) Another idea is to make an original concept altogether which would be more work and more time but probably more rewarding and there'd be no copyright infrindgement- last but not least I was working on a model of a VF-1 Veritech fighter from Robotech so we could incorporate that with some other ideas- make some sort of scene- basically choose one- either way we go we'll probably need characters and scenery- the movie that I had in mind was Bourne Ultimatium (the fight scene in the crumby building)- I'm not real worried about precision or getting the characters perfect but more so the action and the texturing/lighting of the scene- I think we have what 2 or 3 people? We'd need to get a tad more organized and maybe start a new thread dedicated to just the project we choose to do- Anyone here that could setup a domain or something- not important but maybe an alternative solution? I'm very flexible- i just enjoy the experience and learning process.

skAt3f0r71f3
03-11-2008, 10:46 PM
ok!
for the people who want to help we need your

Name
Skills
Software

Justin Szymczyk
Atmosphere, landscape, modeling.
3ds max,Vue,Modo 301, Photoshop

CKPinson
03-11-2008, 11:20 PM
Thanx 4 gettin this started sk8r- I truly don't mind what you guys decide to do, I'll still partake- So just list what you want to do, I think we've got scifi/action scene, skate scene, mecha or robotech type scene, and segment from a film (doesn't have to be the one I mentioned wither).

Carl Pinson
Sketching/Concept/Storyboard (my wacom's on the fritz right now though so I'm resorting to a mouse), Modeling, texturing/skinning, keyframe animating and wanting to learn more about rigging.
Maya, Motion Builder, Adobe PS, Mental Ray, Mudbox, Zbrush, and some various extras such as some HDRI's and textures.

Oh Yeah, once we decide on the theme we'll start a fresh thread dedicated to it- we'll also have to start using the PM feature.

skAt3f0r71f3
03-12-2008, 12:28 AM
Saltiva, how good are you at texturing and keyframe animation?

CKPinson
03-12-2008, 12:39 AM
I'd consider myself good at texturing- I'm a bit hindered at the moment since my Intuos 3 isn't working so I either need to replace it or get it repaired but I can make do with a mouse- just takes a bit longer with painting. I have gotten pretty efficient with Uv unwraps- I'm getting better and better at creating good results with Normals (haven't dealt much with Displacement). I paint quiet a bit both on a computer and on canvas (airbrush, oil, etc) so I'm comfortable doing it when I've got the time which I'll have more of very soon. Got pretty decent at incorporating photos but I usually stay away from them to avoid shadows that are in the images so I prefer to paint from scratch- unless necessary to use some photos spliced into my texture- lately I've been color replacing my Normals to create a color map and am enjoying this flow because the Normal gives you contour and dephth to really see where you're painting. As for keyframe animation I have done a lot of simple things (pages turning, 360 platforms, a basic walk cycle, played a lot with nCloth by tearing it, etc- balls bouncing, stuff falling etc- and used a character with a walk cylce on a guide curve- used deformers to keyframe a flying object getting smashed...) parts that I'd like to improve or get better at are using Normals on a character that's animated (never have), facial animating, and rigging.

skAt3f0r71f3
03-12-2008, 02:25 AM
I can put you on Texturing and Animation duty.
Of course as time progresses, there will be more people on each category.
Or you can only be on Texturing duty or vice versa.
It's up to you.
I started a new thread.

skAt3f0r71f3
03-12-2008, 02:34 AM
Are you new to CG?
Maybe your expirenced and looking for a fun learning expirence and a chance to work with others.
Either way WE WANT YOU!
We are starting a team project to further our abilities.

We need to decide on a scene we are going to create.
Please provide ideas.
If you want to help out please include the following in your post.
Name:
Skills:
Software:

Right now we have the following people on their chosen fields.
(Note that there can be more than one person in any given field)

Landscape:
Justin Szymczyk

Atmosphere:
Justin Szymczyk
Mike

Modeling:
Justin Szymczyk
Alice
Musty

Rigging:
Musty
Animation:
Carl Pinson

Texturing:
Carl Pinson
Alice
Musty

Lighting/Camera:
Mike
Musty

pYcHan
03-12-2008, 02:53 AM
Hallo all,

I have replied to this post very long ago and i see this post is getting updated but not sure when the real work begins..:bounce:

Ok, The introduction thingy.

Alice
Maya,ZBrush,Photoshop CS2, Premiere Pro
More to modelling (Texturing..if max level is level 5..i guess i level 2..lol)

skAt3f0r71f3
03-12-2008, 02:59 AM
Hallo all,

I have replied to this post very long ago and i see this post is getting updated but not sure when the real work begins..:bounce:

Ok, The introduction thingy.

Alice
Maya,ZBrush,Photoshop CS2, Premiere Pro
More to modelling (Texturing..if max level is level 5..i guess i level 2..lol)

please post in the new thread
Thank you

pYcHan
03-12-2008, 03:08 AM
first post beside skAt3f0r71f3.. ^^

Is fun to have different people countries cooperate doing a project. I be looking forward for this thread update.

skAt3f0r71f3
03-12-2008, 03:10 AM
is alright if i put you on modeling and texturing?
carl pinson is really good at texturing so he can teach you a couple things

CKPinson
03-12-2008, 03:19 AM
Alice- your bears aren't bad at all-
As far as theme goes I'll throw my coins into the hat and say some sort of action sequence- I don't mind if it's a remake or something fresh- I like Mecha stuff, scifi, shooting and fighting- but I'm game for something to get started on so I can start using my creative side-

CKPinson
03-12-2008, 03:23 AM
Wanted to add one more thing Fantasy is cool too-- elves and stuff- I just read a real good book by Terry Brooks called "Armageddon's Children (http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.terrybrooks.net/ac/ac.html&sa=X&oi=smap&resnum=1&ct=result&cd=3&usg=AFQjCNGFn3ZQpxmJ4uZUqp0Kd2p6St-iww)" and it had a lot of very creative ideas and themes- I'm suggesting a carbon copy but maybe something in this realm might appeal to the masses without being to biased.

pYcHan
03-12-2008, 03:53 AM
is alright if i put you on modeling and texturing?
carl pinson is really good at texturing so he can teach you a couple things

i be happy to learn from carl...^^

Kirt
03-12-2008, 04:30 AM
... and why was a new thread needed? :shrug:

CKPinson
03-12-2008, 02:01 PM
I suggested a new thread if concensus was reached and they decided on an exact project whcih I'm still unclear about because I don't think we've nailed that one but I apologize for that. I was thinking of something more like "Scifi project" or whatever the particular case maybe- if it's at all possible please feel free to terminate this one sonce apparently it's been replaced. Thanx ADmin.

CKPinson
03-12-2008, 05:22 PM
Here's the veritech fighter from Robotech that I was messing around with:::
Just a thought- Doesn't have to be this one but maybe some sort of scufu mecha stuff would be cool- Feel free to speak up and say what you are interested in-
http://features-temp.cgsociety.org/gallerycrits/271408/271408_1205342311_large.jpg
http://features-temp.cgsociety.org/gallerycrits/271408/271408_1205342132_large.jpg
http://features-temp.cgsociety.org/gallerycrits/271408/271408_1205342284_large.jpg
http://features-temp.cgsociety.org/gallerycrits/271408/271408_1205342254_large.jpg
http://features-temp.cgsociety.org/gallerycrits/271408/271408_1205342206_large.jpg

Kirt
03-12-2008, 05:30 PM
Honestly, I was going to merge the two threads. Once you have your project narrowed down to something specific, you're more than welcome to open a new thread. Right now it's just confusing with two threads with the same title.

skAt3f0r71f3
03-12-2008, 09:59 PM
nice stuff!
I'm still thinking about a skate scene or any other action sports scenes.(maybe football,basketball?)

skAt3f0r71f3
03-12-2008, 10:00 PM
yea sorry about that

CKPinson
03-12-2008, 11:10 PM
Thanx for being so understanding Kurt- I wouldn't think it'd be a problem just merging them- we'll just rename the thread.

CKPinson
03-12-2008, 11:11 PM
Cool- I'm game, just nice to have someone else's input- any more details about the particulars on that?

skAt3f0r71f3
03-13-2008, 01:09 AM
you sure want to do a sports scene?

CKPinson
03-13-2008, 01:15 AM
Sure, as long as it has depth to it- What do you mean by sports scene- I think you should elaborate- realistic, cartoony, video game like, a small film, some actions???

skAt3f0r71f3
03-13-2008, 02:16 AM
maybe a realistic/cartoony skateboarding scene?
something a lil different
we could start with some action shots and see where it goes from there(in regards to a short film)

CKPinson
03-13-2008, 02:35 AM
Cool- well let's get started then.

skAt3f0r71f3
03-13-2008, 02:40 AM
okay!
im going to take some shots of my skateboard as reference tomorrow.
i have them posted up when i get home from school soooo..... i'll get pictures of: the Deck, trucks, wheels, and bearings. (i'll take everything apart including the trucks and bearings)
so what do you want to model of the skateboard parts?

pYcHan
03-13-2008, 03:19 AM
is everyone agree with the sport scene? but we don have a concept yet.. o.O even skateboard..but must have what kind..and the attribute of it..

CKPinson
03-13-2008, 03:20 AM
I have my own deck as a secondary reference- World INC deck that I airbrushed to match my shoes with Independent trucks, powell wheels, etc.- But post the pics here so we can use em as references and maybe textures.

AmeretatMusty
03-13-2008, 01:44 PM
hey everyone, this is sounding interesting, I might have some time to spare on this.

I can help with:

Lighting/ Rendering
Modelling
Rigging
Shaders

My software at the moment is:
3ds Max 9, Maya 8.5 Unlimited, ZBrush 3, Photoshop CS3, MudBox,
Im also getting my hands on Houdini and After Effects soon hopefully!

So lets see where this will go
btw check out some of my stuff on deviantart, only a few of my work on here:
http://ghostofperdition.deviantart.com/

Good luck all

CKPinson
03-13-2008, 03:09 PM
Hey Musty- that's not bad at all- You can help me with rigging because I need more skills there- I suppose Sk84life is going to post his deck and start modeling the pieces- I have one more deck that I could model and I'm sure we'll need an environment- maybe like a street scene would be pretty cool with a couple of launch ramps or something or simplier would be a closed skate park- either way, you could start modeling some of those accessories such as ramps, coping, rails, etc. Oh and we'll need a couple of characters. So just pick some things to model and see what you can come up with.

Alice- Feel free to model some of these objects too so that we can get through the basics. I'll post some reference pics after I google some ramps and what not.

CKPinson
03-13-2008, 03:16 PM
Some ideas for skate parks:
http://www.rockvillemd.gov/skatepark/skateparkmap03.jpg
http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/norcalsurfshop/skatepark.jpg

Here is a half pipe, quarter pipe and various ramps:
http://www.fallingpixel.com/products/1626/mains/halfpipes_poster.jpg

CKPinson
03-13-2008, 05:22 PM
Here's a very quick Launch Ramp I did today in some spare time. Let me know whatcha think- Of course if we used it I'd fix it a bit where I noticed some flaws but it's fairly str8 forward like I said: I'd probably add some graffitti or something:
http://features.cgsociety.org/gallerycrits/271408/271408_1205428858_medium.jpg
http://features.cgsociety.org/gallerycrits/271408/271408_1205428897_medium.jpg

skAt3f0r71f3
03-13-2008, 08:18 PM
okay im home from school here's a link to the pictures.
(there's quite a few so compressed them into a .rar file)
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=SPRMG4I0

nice ramp but there is some more work to be done.
i know it's just a rough draft though.
as regards to the environment i was thinking of an urban street type setup.
Handrails, stairs, ledges things like that.

CKPinson
03-13-2008, 11:33 PM
You should've just attached those images to this thread because I can't view that link from work.

skAt3f0r71f3
03-13-2008, 11:45 PM
well there's a lot......how about when you get home?

CKPinson
03-13-2008, 11:50 PM
That works then-

skAt3f0r71f3
03-14-2008, 12:48 AM
did you come home?
we need to decide on who's going to model what

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=5013850#post5013850

check it out
i want to do something like this with all those details.

CKPinson
03-14-2008, 01:31 AM
Yeah I saw this- nice work- I suppose to make it interesting we're gonna need some various elements such as stairs rails benches, curbs, walls, fountains, etc and piece them all together- probably a few people, some ramps, and a couple of skateboards or at least textures for them. Oh yeah and trees, bushes and what not- I don't have time right this second so maybe someone could be either sketching a basic scene with these elements in it or find some good reference photos of the type of environment ya'll want- I want be able to get back to this til the morning.

skAt3f0r71f3
03-14-2008, 02:24 AM
i have some stair setups

AmeretatMusty
03-14-2008, 02:29 PM
cool, Saltiva, Ill do the modelling of the skatepark from the reference pics you provided.

If anyone here can do design and sketch it'll be a good idea to have some concept art and also we will need a story sometimes soon, something to work through!

I'll have the ramps and skatepark done pretty soon, ill work on some environments too

AmeretatMusty
03-14-2008, 02:40 PM
Saltiva, I thought since this is a learning project it'll be a good idea to comment on each others work as we go along to learn from each other, and since you are the first person to psot something we'll start it from you :)

About the ramps, first thing is that when you are in the modelling stage never add textures because if the texturing is not good it will make the model look bad too, unless the textures are essential to the design. Always use a simple lighting to just show off your models.

Since the model is pretty simple I cant really think of much to say about it, its good start

good luck with the rest

CKPinson
03-14-2008, 03:18 PM
AmeretatMusty: THanx for the input- It's nice to get feed back and I usually don't do too much texturing until I'm through with the modeling but this was a simple little thing-

I posted some environments I think would work- here's another: At least the top ones but a mix would be cool.
http://cs.naplesgov.com/parks/fleischmann/images/Image14.jpg

CKPinson
03-14-2008, 03:46 PM
Got those pics Sk8-

softdistortion
03-14-2008, 04:07 PM
congrats on getting your ideas started guys :thumbsup:

CKPinson
03-14-2008, 04:46 PM
THanx SoftDistortion: Thanx for the vote of confidence but we still have a ways to go-

We should take a scene and then divide it up into zones by color- red, blue etc. and then you'll have an idea of what area needs to be modeled and by who. Does that sound like a plan to you sk8? Maybe a street scene in front of some shops or something might be pretty interesting down a hill with a walk way, some rails, stairs and what not- people walking around too- or would ya'll rather do a closed street skate park like the ones pictured?

skAt3f0r71f3
03-14-2008, 07:39 PM
sorry about not posting its because im at school from 7:00 am to 3:00 pm and im spending the night at my friend's house tonight and probably tomorrow night but i'll try to drop in on the forums every now and then
i think we should do an open-street scene

http://www.acsu.buffalo.edu/%7Erjs43/street%20skateboarding.jpg

http://www.kidzworld.com/img/upload/article/18719/a8877i0_koston185a.jpg

http://skateandannoy.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/wsj.jpg

something like those and have skyscapers in the background and random graphity
"urban" style
you know what im saying?

CKPinson
03-14-2008, 11:28 PM
Cool- Try to come up with something and you can feel free to tweak it-

CKPinson
03-14-2008, 11:42 PM
Good images sk8, maybe we could get some more references posted here and I'll see what I can get pieced 2gether- we'll need some sort of flow through probably about a city block or 2 and maybe part of a part. I don't think we should try to recreate a particular area but more or less combine various areas and make a new one that works to our benefit. I like some of these images- maybe have a group of skaters going through a city on a skate line doing ollies, kick flips, grinds and slides of sorts while dodging pedestrians and law enforcement maybe even taggin things with spray as the pass by art exhibits and what not.

pYcHan
03-15-2008, 04:23 AM
good start..anything that i can help with? i be happy to model anything as long it fit into my schedule..doing internship training from morning to night.. quite hectic.. but i would find some time to contribute to the project..^^

CKPinson
03-15-2008, 02:59 PM
Pychan- We're going to need some basic city elements so once we get the mapped out the way we'll need it then we'll section off areas and you can model a section. For now we need reference photos such as scenery, clothing, textures, and buildings.

Potemkyn
03-18-2008, 05:51 PM
Boy! You go out of town for a week and look what happens!

Great start! I'm looking forward to helping and learning.

Err... What needs to be done?

Mike
~Po

skAt3f0r71f3
03-18-2008, 07:30 PM
you can start by modeling some of the skateboard parts.

CKPinson
03-18-2008, 11:24 PM
Well, I'm going to try and get the basic scene sketched out so we can model it by sections- I think it'll be a big hastle trying to model skateboard by parts with different users- I'd say a user could model an entire skateboard on his own because we're still going to need the scene which will be a lot of planning, modeling, lighting and texturing and some characters- I have a few characters that are pretty basic that I don't mind throwing in but we'll need some skater types as well- I've already started on a skater and have some basic ramps modeled when I was bored but I've put that aside to try and get the design for the environment down since there'll be buildings, landscaping, and various elements to incorporate at the right places but I've got a pretty good idea in my head of what I want to layout- Should have it posted in a day or 2.

skAt3f0r71f3
03-18-2008, 11:40 PM
alright!
sounds cool!
im making a simple wooden bench right now.http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/1122723/2/istockphoto_1122723_benches_in_the_park.jpg

something like that

CKPinson
03-18-2008, 11:54 PM
Cool- we'll definately need stuff like that- benches, shrubs, hedges, curbs, light poles, and on- As soon as I'm down with my rough draft render of the scene I'll let you take a look and tweak if need be.

CKPinson
03-19-2008, 02:35 AM
Not to get too sidetracked but are any of you guys gonna enter this contest (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/uplift_universe/enter.php)? I got some good ideas for a short otherwise I'll probably just stick to doing an image on the side while working on this.

skAt3f0r71f3
03-19-2008, 02:46 PM
yea i was looking at that yesterday
not my style though.
i might give it a shot though

CKPinson
03-19-2008, 05:09 PM
Think I'd rather pass on it after thinking about it- I might do something little on the side for it but I don't want to devote too much time to it.

skAt3f0r71f3
03-22-2008, 05:50 PM
okay!
im done with the bench
sorry it so long
i've been tied up with school and skateboarding.
how should i give it to you?
email address?
who's going to keep all the models?
should i just keep it?
here's some renders of it:http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/4523/render1ne0.jpg

http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/6368/render2mp7.jpg

tell me what you think about it!

CKPinson
03-23-2008, 03:05 AM
Not bad at all. We can make copies of this and make a few with cracks and what not- how many poly? I was also wondering what type of polycount were we going for- detailed and high or mid with normals or low?? I have a character almost complete and have made some variations of him. also as far as holding onto the files is concerned we need to make low (very low poly) place holders that are the basic shape and size and we'll probably need to share access to them some how = I'm not too worried about transferring the useable meshs right now until we're farther along- you ought to make the trash cans like these:
http://www.janisan.com/UnitedReceptacle/images/amer1.jpghttp://www.janisan.com/UnitedReceptacle/images/r12su201.gifhttp://www.janisan.com/UnitedReceptacle/images/accsg.gif

as for the scene I was thinking of basically a skater or few leaving a house and thrashing through the neighborhood then through downtown into the park and that's basically it. so think of these elements- I'm still working on the layout so give me a bit.

skAt3f0r71f3
03-23-2008, 02:15 PM
okay
there are 938 polys
are for the low detail vs high detail i think that we should go for high poly considering we are making a short animation and not graphic for a game. you know what im saying?
What are the other people doing for this project?
I haven't heard from any of them lately.

CKPinson
03-25-2008, 12:59 AM
Well, it's quiet simple really, keep modeling until others decide to pitch in. If anyone wants to contribute then jsut post your WIP or model here. Doesn't have to be perfect or textured- as far as file sharing goes- we'll have to figure that out but if worst comes to worst I have Adobe After effects (still a noobie) but we could definately compost if necessary.

Potemkyn
03-25-2008, 02:31 PM
Nice bench!

I'll see what I can churn out this week. Been busy getting the garden ready for planting. :D

The Uplift Universe has a bit of appeal to me, espcially when I read the trailer document. That's something I think I could do. The hardest part would be the sun, and the alien on the surface.

Though I'll have to see if there's time. I'm not all that great at character modeling. Fire is something I've been working on for awhile, though I'm not proficient at it.

Mike

CKPinson
03-25-2008, 05:05 PM
Potemkyn- I too am doing a side project for the Uplift challenge so go for it but if you can spare a bit of time here and there then we need basic environment elements such as mailboxes, benches, etc. I still am working on the layout of the scene but if you come up with something then I can incorporate it.

skAt3f0r71f3
03-26-2008, 12:52 AM
okay im done with the trash can
feel free to offer any changes you would like to see.

http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/842/trashcanrender2kk7.jpg

http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/8495/trashcanrender1kr5.jpg

pYcHan
03-26-2008, 01:46 AM
Sorry..i have been rushing for my project for a week.. This weekend should be free.. BAsic elemenet model like those in the park? Can someone make a list on item that should have? I can model them..My mind kinda stuck..Too much UVwrapping for a long last week..

btw..nice bench and trash can.. using 3dmax right? Who in charge of all the model that is done ? cause i using maya..if you all decided to run in 3dmax for the animation..i can export them as fbx or obj..

skAt3f0r71f3
03-26-2008, 02:19 AM
are you good with Maya for animation?
because Maya is far better to animate from what i heard.

Does anyone have Premiere or After Effects?

pYcHan
03-26-2008, 02:28 AM
lol..i at level 2 out of 5 for animation.. i have premiere..after effect i also have.. but level 1..
my laptop hardly support them..kinda lag..

CKPinson
03-26-2008, 03:39 AM
I just bought After Effects from my buddy- Nice Trash Can. Almost done with the layout for the scene: starts in an Urban cul de sac neighbor hood, winds down through a downtown area and ends in a park with a stage centered and maybe if this pans out well then we could incorporate a band performing. As far as items to model we still need a skateboard, other designs of trash cans, rails like bicycle racks etc, mail boxes, a few homes (which you can start on and can be incorporated into the scene however it fits), some shops (view CGTextures for some good storefront ideas), and more to come. Oh yeah, and characters- some skaters and etc. I have a few finishing touches on a couple of characters I had in the works and can alter their appearence need be.

The image below is the idea I had in mind for the neighborhood.
http://snconcrete-pavers.com/images/photo23.jpg
This is what I had in mind for shops:
http://www.edinburgharchitecture.co.uk/jpgs/meadowbank_shops_51.jpg
http://www.dis.eril.net/FileSystem/upfile/j00137/Driffield%20Pink%20&%20Blue%20shops.JPG
This is some skate references- we're gonna have some ramps and what not setup in the park area:

http://www.zeeks.com/images/features/360x360_coolstuff_skateboard-com.jpghttp://www.vertandstreet.com/images/homepage/skatePhotos/skateboard.gifhttp://www.kingramps.co.uk/images/vertpic.jpg

Now the layout I'll be using is very basic place holders just to get the flow idea- If you create a character that is fairly complex then remember to save an export of him in low poly form to place him and rig him. Not all characters have to be detailed, complex or super realistic as they can be back drop and viewed from angles or distances. Don't worry about texturing until we figure out rendering and composition.

MikeBass
03-26-2008, 03:07 PM
Hey Guys,

Nice Project you got going there :)

I would also like to join, but my skills are really at lvl 1 out of 5 as alice said :)

If you will have me anyway, I can do little stuff(modelling would be my field of choice - since my skills are probably level 2 ^^). I'm very interested, since it would probably help me to learn modelling very much.

So, tell me if you need an intern ;) !

Kudos
Mike

MikeBass
03-26-2008, 03:33 PM
Triple Post...What the?!? ^^ Sry

MikeBass
03-26-2008, 03:47 PM
Very Sorry for the triple post...somehow I can see the other 2 posts only now(16Hours later :p)

CKPinson
03-26-2008, 09:31 PM
4sure Mike- come on aboard. I just finished a simple 3D Layout and an animated fly through (very basic so don't chastize) and I'll post some images (probably as attachments cause I don't want to upload them into my gallery yet) and as for the video it's Full 1024 in Targa files I was thinking of either using Windows Media PLayer (Movie Maker), Nero, or Quicktime to build the image sequence but then I'm not sure how to post it so you guys can see- should I zip it (compress) or something? Think that'd work? Worst case scenerio I can upload it into Youtube of the sort but the image quality will worsen and the size will decrease dramatically. So if you have a suggestion then please let me know- I would setup an FTP but it's been a while and I'm not sure I want to tinker with all that because the little bit of time I get to myself on my PC I'd rather be creating stuff. Or I could send the individual images and you could use Media or Quicktime (image sequence) to view the footage? They're targa files right now but I can easily change that.

CKPinson
03-26-2008, 09:33 PM
Oh yeah and guys, (Mike) feel free to start modeling a house as pictured above and make a few variations (change it up a bit) so we can create the neighborhood- ignore modeling the inside and keep it simple then we can tell you adjustments to make.

CKPinson
03-26-2008, 09:33 PM
Oh yeah and guys, (Mike) feel free to start modeling a house as pictured above and make a few variations (change it up a bit) so we can create the neighborhood- ignore modeling the inside and keep it simple then we can tell you adjustments to make.

skAt3f0r71f3
03-26-2008, 10:23 PM
4sure Mike- come on aboard. I just finished a simple 3D Layout and an animated fly through (very basic so don't chastize) and I'll post some images (probably as attachments cause I don't want to upload them into my gallery yet) and as for the video it's Full 1024 in Targa files I was thinking of either using Windows Media PLayer (Movie Maker), Nero, or Quicktime to build the image sequence but then I'm not sure how to post it so you guys can see- should I zip it (compress) or something? Think that'd work? Worst case scenerio I can upload it into Youtube of the sort but the image quality will worsen and the size will decrease dramatically. So if you have a suggestion then please let me know- I would setup an FTP but it's been a while and I'm not sure I want to tinker with all that because the little bit of time I get to myself on my PC I'd rather be creating stuff. Or I could send the individual images and you could use Media or Quicktime (image sequence) to view the footage? They're targa files right now but I can easily change that.

just use www.rapidshare.com

CKPinson
03-26-2008, 11:18 PM
DUH- I use it all the time, what was I thinking- :thumbsup: I'll check it out after work this evening. PS. keep meshs quads.

CKPinson
03-27-2008, 05:07 AM
Here, I'll just go ahead and post some screen shots because there's really no point in fooling with the fly through animation since this is just a layout= besides, I mostly did it just to remember a few things about motion path and key framing.
so this is the start from inside the house= kitchen but I'm thinking bedroom now.
http://images.kodakgallery.com/photos4909/2/53/50/43/90/5/590435053209_0_ALB.jpg
This is the neighborhood
http://images.kodakgallery.com/photos4909/2/53/50/43/90/7/790435053209_0_ALB.jpg
This is the main street area leading up to the main downtown area. Notice the hill leading to the strip= we'll be adding many elements...
http://images.kodakgallery.com/photos4909/2/53/50/43/90/9/990435053209_0_ALB.jpg
I know. it's cheese but maybe you can get the picture...
http://images.kodakgallery.com/photos4909/2/53/50/43/1/2/201435053209_0_ALB.jpg
Main Downtown area... skyscrapers
http://images.kodakgallery.com/photos4909/2/53/50/43/1/4/401435053209_0_ALB.jpg
End of downtown area and begining of park
http://images.kodakgallery.com/photos4909/2/53/50/43/1/6/601435053209_0_ALB.jpg
just a generic park but we'll be adding skate elements...
http://images.kodakgallery.com/photos4909/2/53/50/43/1/8/801435053209_0_ALB.jpg
some crappy trees and basketball hopes LOL
http://images.kodakgallery.com/photos4909/2/53/50/43/11/1/111435053209_0_ALB.jpg
I'll do another video flyby if I have time because the one I have is much too large so I'd have to lower the settings because it wouldn't even fit on Rapid compressed= Forgot how quickly frames pile up. Plus I had my Mental Ray settings high since this is a very basic model.

skAt3f0r71f3
03-27-2008, 03:25 PM
try again
the pictures didn't show up:sad:

MikeBass
03-27-2008, 05:50 PM
Copy the Image Adress and enter the URL in a new window...I saw it then :)

Kudos

skAt3f0r71f3
03-27-2008, 06:31 PM
Copy the Image Adress and enter the URL in a new window...I saw it then :)

Kudos

how can you do that if there is know image address?

CKPinson
03-27-2008, 07:05 PM
Umm- that's odd, I've been able to see them from the work pc and home on this link? they're just links to my Kodakgalleries location so you could copy the link but they should be loading- don't get your hopes up though cuz they're just a basic concept then we'll replace them with some high quality stuff- RIGHT!
So I went ahead and bought my buddy's copy of Adobe After Effects and installed it- It looks like martian to me right now but I'm a pretty fast learner. I watched a few quick tutorials on the sight on you can do some really cool stuff on the fly with it so that's why I went ahead and bought it- Here's a guy I've been working on along with some other environmental things...
http://features.cgsociety.org/gallerycrits/271408/271408_1206641454_medium.jpg
http://features.cgsociety.org/gallerycrits/271408/271408_1206641326_medium.jpg

CKPinson
03-29-2008, 06:10 AM
I've added a tshirt to BB and some skin texture but need to tweak both and add a texture to the shirt- jeans coming- shoes, whatever- redoing hair too because I didn't like previous. and then I'll rig and convert to another character. Anybody wanna share some stuff too?
http://features.cgsociety.org/gallerycrits/271408/271408_1206770807_large.jpg

Turbo2k5
03-29-2008, 08:47 PM
I enjoy returning to this thread to see the progress being made...

I wish I could contribute but I am at a level 0 out of 5.. i dont even have the software so I'll sit on the sidelines this time...
but, to get the correct gear for the playing field, so to speak, which program would you guys say helped the most as a beginner?
I was thinking of trying to get adobe after effects but im not sure if thats the best way to go..

CKPinson
03-29-2008, 09:31 PM
Adobe After FX= Post preduction special FX, digital compositing, and timeline alteration (some of the things I've very recently messed with)-
Autodesk Maya, Autodesk 3DS MAX, Softimage XSI, or others= 3D package for creation of characters to animating them, lighting and scene creation etc- multi-purpose.
Adobe Photoshop CS3= very important to have (I'd get this first and foremost as I have done)- you can use this for very very many things.
Sculpting Package such as ZBrush or Mudbox= (good to get after a 3D package and after learning basics of that 3d package).
And a lot of various plugins and scripts that you come across or develope along the way.

Well, let us know if you end up picking up some software and we shall see if you can contribute in some way- We're gonna need some audio eventually but there are definately ways to contribute.

Turbo2k5
03-29-2008, 10:35 PM
indeed. thanks for the response.

i never even thought about the audio but if you needed some original music or even sampled music to play in the background, i think i could contribute in the aspect..

as you see in my sig, i am a musician and part of the reason why i joined this site is because i wanted to learn new things to enhance my music videos on youtube..

but yeah, audio - non vocal - i can get done sooner than audio with vocal but im guessing the former is most likely whats needed...

im not sure about original sound effects but i do have a few sound effects cds - yup

CKPinson
03-30-2008, 05:16 AM
Audio's always a good thing- We'll be a while though til we get 2 that point- I'm not sure what everyone elses' progress is like at this point but here's mine- I did some nCloth tests and created pants for my first character.
http://features.cgsociety.org/gallerycrits/271408/271408_1206853981_large.jpg
http://features.cgsociety.org/gallerycrits/271408/271408_1206853926_large.jpg

CKPinson
04-01-2008, 04:58 PM
Well, I'm nearing the completion of my first personallized rig for this character: once I'm through with the controls I am going to model another character. As anyone created anymore elements or props (skateboards, etc?) Kind of feel like I'm stranded on an island.

MikeBass
04-02-2008, 08:03 AM
I wasn't able to do much this week, but from tomorrow I should be free again for a day or two :)

I'll try the skateboard then.

Kudos

CKPinson
04-02-2008, 03:26 PM
Very cool Mike- don't worry too too much about being perfect, just do your best and then we'll go from there.

CKPinson
04-13-2008, 08:37 PM
Guess I'm the last man standing here- oh well- here's an update- Hair, and rigging almost complete.
http://features.cgsociety.org/gallerycrits/271408/271408_1208118190_large.jpg

skAt3f0r71f3
04-14-2008, 07:34 PM
im still here
lol
im making a skatepark right now.
I was wondering if you can model a quarterpipe for the park.
i cant seem to get it right.:blush:

P.S. Good work on the character!:thumbsup:

CKPinson
04-14-2008, 08:06 PM
Cool- I was wondering- yes, I could model a half pipe.

skAt3f0r71f3
04-14-2008, 10:18 PM
i just need a quarter pipe
http://www.360skate.com/prod_images_large/2SRAMQUAR400000.gif

CKPinson
04-14-2008, 10:23 PM
oh-for some reason I read halfpipe- 1/4pipe okay.

CKPinson
04-14-2008, 11:04 PM
Here is my reference:
http://www.bmx-zone.com/articlePic.php?id=398
and here is mine, granted I just altered my launch ramp and added coping but I would DEFIN8LY use different textures, but you get the jist right?
http://features.cgsociety.org/gallerycrits/271408/271408_1208214187_medium.jpg
and I included it in the zip as an exported .obj in case you use software that can read obj- can't remember what you use.

Potemkyn
04-15-2008, 02:04 PM
Looking good guys!

Been busy here at home, Three of our does kidded and now we have ten (err, twelve) goats. Two were premature, but are coming along.

Keep it going!

Mike

skAt3f0r71f3
04-15-2008, 10:08 PM
Looking good guys!

Been busy here at home, Three of our does kidded and now we have ten goats. Two were premature, but are coming along.

Keep it going!

Mike

Sad to here about those two!
Good luck to them!
They have my prayers!

Potemkyn
04-16-2008, 02:38 AM
Thanks much.

I did make one mistake, we have 12 goats now, not 10 (dunno how I did that :blush: ).

Jemima won't be a year old for another week, she's the dam of the two doelings that are premature.

Good news for today, those two are up on their feet now and doing better. Now if I can get my computer working right that has 3D Max on it. :banghead:

Mike

CKPinson
04-16-2008, 06:37 PM
Cool- get to work- j/k look forward to seeing some modeling- sk8- did you care for that 1/4 pipe at all- I attached it as a zip file, feel free to alter it in anyway.

CKPinson
04-19-2008, 08:43 PM
Here's the latest on my character- got eyebrows- need a few lower eye lashes and am almost finished with the eyes. Will be tweaking the hair and eyebrows more.
http://features.cgsociety.org/gallerycrits/271408/271408_1208637011_large.jpg

CGTalk Moderation
04-19-2008, 08:43 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.