PDA

View Full Version : scalable rig with hair

andyLP
03-11-2008, 05:38 AM
Hi there.
I have a rig with dynamic hair curves. By default when you scale a mesh with hair curves the length of the curve itself stays the same. The only way of scaling the hair curves is by using the scale hair tool.

How can I set a rig up to scale the hairs automatically?

zoo-prod
03-14-2008, 01:28 AM
Could be done with with an expression.
Just scale your hair with the scale hair tool look the code.
Do an expression where your main scale control operate a "scale hair thing" on your hairs.

Maybe you can directly connect something... with connection manager.

andyLP
03-14-2008, 02:41 AM
Hi zoo-prod, unfortunately the script editor reveals very little about the scale hair tool's functionality. My first thought was to build a melscript around what that tool was doing.

However I actually came up with two solutions. I'll quickly describe them for anyone else with a similar issue.

when a hair system is created from static curves, it keeps those original curves under each follicle node. You can uncheck intermediate objects on the shapeNode of each of these curves and scale them which directly effects your dynamic hair curve.

second solution (slightly less efficient probably) is to create a pointOnCurveInfo node for each hair curve and use this to get the world space coordinates for the base of the hair curve. write an expression / script / to move the pivot point for each hair curve to those coordinates and scale the hair curve directly.

CGTalk Moderation
03-14-2008, 02:41 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.