PDA

View Full Version : keyframing particle cache slower than currentTime

Gemini
03-10-2008, 08:54 PM
hey all, i have a particle simulation (multiple particleShapes) that i need to reverse and slow down. while the particle disk cache uses currentTime to read the cache, the cache is read in extremely fast. however, once i break the connection to current time, and add my own keyframes, the entire scene slows waaaaay down.

i have tried creating new time nodes and keyframing them, but found no difference in the speed the particle cache was read. i have also tried expressions instead of keys, but that wasn't much different either.

i would appreciate any ideas you guys might have.

thanks

Gemini
03-18-2008, 11:38 PM
answered my own question. for some reason, even when just reversing my particles ( not slowing down) the time values were not on whole numbers. by baking the time curve and snapping every frame to a whole value sped things up quite a bit.

what really made the difference though was cacheing more frames. not really sure why... e.g. i was only caching the particles for frames 1-800, but rendering the scene until 1200. it wasn't until i cached all the way up to 1200 that thngs came back to normal speed. wierd

any ideas why?

acidream
03-19-2008, 02:29 AM
Theres a fluid retime script on highend that makes it easy to retime fluid caches.

CGTalk Moderation
03-19-2008, 02:29 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.