PDA

View Full Version : Diffrence between model technics???

Carlos
04-18-2002, 10:01 AM
I am a Max user.

I would like to know what's the difference between modeling methods like poly modeling, box modeling, subdivision and some others.

Also Does anybody knows whats is the difference between using the edit mesh and edit poly on Max 4

thanks

Paul L. Ming
04-18-2002, 02:24 PM
Hiya.

The main difference to me, is simply that they are just different "routs" to get the same thing. Poly Modeling, Box Modeling, Sub-D's...those are all basically the same thing. One could make an argument that Poly-Modeling might mean that you build a mesh "poly-by-poly" (only seen this in a handful of packages; too time consuming). Is there some other way that you see these three 'methods'?

With Edit Mesh and Edit Poly: Edit Mesh basically "edits in triangles", while Edit Poly "edits in quadrangles". If possible, try and edit in Edit Poly for "hi res" stuff; Edit Mesh is probably better if you are modeling "low poly" for games. If you are going to use MeshSmooth or some other Sub-D method, you want Edit Poly (quadrangles), as the mathmatics for "smothing" the model works better with quads (less "pinchings"), IME.

Chris Watkins
04-19-2002, 09:58 AM
Thats not all, there is also patch modeling and NURBS modeling. Patches in Max involves the use of its 'surface tools', you model a 'cage' for the mesh with bezier curves and use it to create a surface that can have different levels of mesh density.
Nurbs seemed to be originally touted more for its organic forms but its utilized by many to make very technical things. Nurbs surfaces are resolution independant, which means you can get as close or as far away as you want and it will always look its best.. A nurbs sphere is always a sphere, a polygonal sphere is a predetermined collection of faces and edges.

Class dismissed :>

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.