PDA

View Full Version : 3D and Motion Graphics Demo Reel

TheApostle
03-10-2008, 02:06 AM
Hey everyone,

I am a graduating Senior at Columbia College Chicago, and just got done with a rough cut of my demo reel.

I was wondering if some of you could take the time and give me some constructive criticism. You can find it here: http://mark.statuskuo.net/DemoReel/MarksWinter08DemoReel.mov.

On the reel, you will find works created with Maya, After Effects, Nuke and Vue.

Thanks a lot in advance, and I look forward to seeing what you have to say!
Peace,
Mark

PS - Please be patient - the file may take a minute to download as it is about 31 Megs...

thehive
03-10-2008, 03:47 PM
ok , not a bad reel but has some weak area at I think it dose ,but here gose

1. i was told over an over at Full sail NO LENS FLARES ( sorry) :O)
2. clip 2 has potential but need some better lighting an better fire mabe add more copies an offset the flames
3. the particle this is interesting
4. clip 4 is good like the growing tree
5. jumps too fast
6. seems like filler , dosent feel complete
7. the guy walkin with the effect in interesting but could be more dynamic i guess
8. the 2d animation i think is the weakest part i would pull it
9. clip after 2d ani is cool but too short.
10. that last clip , jus as i was gettin into it it cuts off

well jus some thought , hope that helps.

UltimateGnarFactor
03-10-2008, 08:54 PM
Coolio. But you should edit your post, so the link is http://mark.statuskuo.net/DemoReel/MarksWinter08DemoReel.mov
as to reduce number of clicks it takes to watch and thus increase views, and add an image, people love images :).
Also, I think you should change the timing on the clips that show your email, so the full email shows for more than a second.

TheApostle
03-10-2008, 10:28 PM
thehive: Wow, you have given me a lot of great feedback - and it was itemized!! I'm will try to make all of the changes you suggested, but will wait about a week to hear back from some other forums and friends. I was kind of hesitant to put the lens flare clip in the reel, but decided to do so because I thought the clouds would be a good start for the clip. I may re-render the sequence, though :-)

UltimateGnarFactor: Thanks for the tip - I'll edit the link ASAP, and was planning on changing the end so that my email was on there longer. Did you find anything else too jarring? Do you think it would be inappropriate to have a list on my end slate of the software I know, or is that too much info?

This is all amazing feedback - please post more everyone!!

thehive
03-11-2008, 12:38 PM
sweet man , your stuff is good , jus keep asking your self is this my best work

TheApostle
03-16-2008, 07:12 PM
Hey everyone,
I'm about to finish up the last few changes to my reel, but in case you want to give me any final advice, you can quickly view my reel here: http://youtube.com/watch?v=bV54AJZfowI

Thanks!
Mark

SoundLightSaga
03-17-2008, 01:08 PM
Nice stuff. But i think at the end your email is too squashed into the screen, and it makes it kinda annoying to try and read it. I think it would be better to display it how you did in the beginning of the reel where your eyes dont really have to try as hard.

CGTalk Moderation
03-17-2008, 01:08 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.