PDA

View Full Version : having issues using Curve Flow and particle Instances!?

joeniemeloenie
03-10-2008, 02:01 AM
Hi everyone,

I'm making a twister using "curve flow" and particle instances.

I'm having soms issues I can't find an answer to:

1) - the instances interpenetrating with eachother.
2) - the instances flying too close (or through) the camera.

Things I tried to solve these issues:

1) - the instances interpenetrating with eachother. (see one of the bottom Playblasts -links)

I tried creating a Radial Field and enabling the "per vertex" option, didn't work. Eventhough I found a topic on the forums where they claim this is the way to go. http://forums.cgsociety.org/archive/index.php/t-160098.html

I think it's just me overseeing something, I hope... Or it's something that can not be done when using Curve Flow...?

2) - the instances flying too close (or through) the camera.

I tried parenting a sphere/cone to my camera, and make it collide with the particles... At first it seemed to go well, but the particles seemed to be popping/snapping when reaching the end of the object.

yeah, that's about it.

Thanks for helping!
J.

alexx
03-10-2008, 03:30 PM
hi,

the popping can be solved in 2 ways that you should use bot:
first lower the goal value of the particles (only a bit). second: dont use an object that repells the partcles. better use a field with a falloff value set. that will make it smoother.
you could as well write a goalPP expression, that changes the goal weight of the particles from a low value to 1.0 after a certain lived age.

the interpenetration should work like written there.. but that will create a stange effect at the end of your animation. so i guess you will have to create another per particle expression that dmapens the effect of the radial field at the end.
if you dont see any effect be sure to set both: affect selected object(s) AND use selected as source of field. sounds like you missed one of them.

cheers

alex

joeniemeloenie
03-10-2008, 10:57 PM
hey,

thanks for your fast reply!

I gave it a try, lowering the goal weights (down to 0.5 and even lower: 0.1) and then making sure I enable "affect selected object(s) AND use selected as source of field"...but still I get no reaction from the Radial Field.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance!
J.

gmat
03-12-2008, 02:33 AM
Hey joeniemeloenie,
I was trying to find the same information as you are, and couldn't do that . . did you have some any new information about that !? it would help me out to fix an animation right now.

Thank you.

g-

joeniemeloenie
03-12-2008, 05:55 PM
no not yet.

I'll leave it like this for now, cause my deadline is approaching. Just with fewer particles, so the interpenetration is less obvious.

if you'd happen to find a solution, please be so kind to share your knowledge ;). I'll do the same, ofcourse.

greetings,
J.

gmat
03-13-2008, 01:11 AM
of course, I will let you now if I'll find the way to fixed it, it must be some script or something like that...

let's keep in touch !!

g-

CGTalk Moderation
03-13-2008, 01:11 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.