PDA

View Full Version : How to get that specific look?

kossoolli
03-09-2008, 04:42 PM
Hello,
I am coming from a 3D background, my knowledge of PS is limited. Since I ahve a lot to do with cars, I would like to know how to get the look you can see in the attached picture. Which techniques are used to get that cool and modern look?

Regards

Oliver

mykhel
03-10-2008, 09:58 AM
If you are talking about the sheen... You can try the plastic wrap filter. Filter>artistic>plastic wrap. You have to have a good selection, proper feathering and play with the filter settings.

suztv
03-10-2008, 02:08 PM
Solarflares, adjustment layers, layer modes etc. Curves, Levels and a variety of other tricks. It looks like the image was desaturated a little and then the blue sky either composited in or enhanced. The sheen on the car could be that they used an adjustment layer with curves? IDK - you would have to play with it a while to get whatever it is to look just like the image. Play with overlays and layer modes as well.

3dj
03-10-2008, 02:18 PM
Don't forget, a lot of that image was accomplished behind the lens of the camera. they used reflectors and strobes to create the highlights on the side of the car. Probably even light painted them in a bit, longish exposure with a high f-stop. Other than some minor adjustments in PS, a curve, some color correction, this probably has very little work done in PS.

-Jim

mykhel
03-10-2008, 05:08 PM
This took less than 10 mins. I worked on it just enough to give you the idea and not let you be deterred from trying this in PS. Be assured, you can do it in PS. It will take longer than 10 mins, but it isn't very hard. And what I am describing is not the only way. This is just how I would do it.

On seperate layers,I just painted some white hilights with a soft brush, blurred them. Painted some more on seperate layers, blurred these too.

And finally, after selecting what i needed, finished with the plastic wrap filter.

The hardest part is going to be keeping your edges, but that isn't very hard really.

3dj
03-10-2008, 06:25 PM
This took less than 10 mins. I worked on it just enough to give you the idea and not let you be deterred from trying this in PS. Be assured, you can do it in PS. It will take longer than 10 mins, but it isn't very hard. And what I am describing is not the only way. This is just how I would do it.

On seperate layers,I just painted some white hilights with a soft brush, blurred them. Painted some more on seperate layers, blurred these too.

And finally, after selecting what i needed, finished with the plastic wrap filter.

The hardest part is going to be keeping your edges, but that isn't very hard really.

I think I am confused as to what is being asked, because this makes no sense to me! LOL!

blank
03-10-2008, 11:54 PM
Another Technique to look at is HDR photography as I think it has the kind of look your thinking of. Though its not a PS effect but if you have a decent camera you could at least mess around making some. I think CS2 upwards lets you fiddle with HDR if memory serves me correctly:
couple examples i found in a 2 sec google (sorry they arn't cars though sure theres some with a more indepth search):

A lighthouse
http://thorg.chattablogs.com/images/lighthouse.jpg

Straw
http://canvas-art-prints-uk.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/sunset-straw-bale.jpg

Have fun :-)

3dj
03-11-2008, 01:50 PM
Another Technique to look at is HDR photography as I think it has the kind of look your thinking of. Though its not a PS effect but if you have a decent camera you could at least mess around making some. I think CS2 upwards lets you fiddle with HDR if memory serves me correctly:
couple examples i found in a 2 sec google (sorry they arn't cars though sure theres some with a more indepth search):

A lighthouse
http://thorg.chattablogs.com/images/lighthouse.jpg

Straw
http://canvas-art-prints-uk.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/sunset-straw-bale.jpg

Have fun :-)

Good point, although (I am pretty sure you know this ;-) but that image isn't an HDR, as it would most likely have alot more detail in the shadows.

Either way, I agree with you, it is more to do with taking the photo than PhotoShop itself.
Good call on pointing out High Dynamic Range Photography!
-Jim

blank
03-11-2008, 02:00 PM
yeah I know, just pointing out knowing about HDR opens up a whole basket of new visual effects especially now its so easy to experiment with as its cheap to do now with modern digital SLR photography (and even some compacts if they give you enough control on the camera).

3dj
03-11-2008, 03:01 PM
yeah I know, just pointing out knowing about HDR opens up a whole basket of new visual effects especially now its so easy to experiment with as its cheap to do now with modern digital SLR photography (and even some compacts if they give you enough control on the camera).

Andy, Your portfolio is really great! I'll have to keep checking in on your work!
-Jim

thundering1
03-18-2008, 02:18 AM
Granted the image is so small I can't be sure, but it looks like the photo of the car was done in studio - no reflections of ANY of the surrounding environment - and the sheen is a smooth gradation - looks like it's surrounded by reflectors and diffusion panels.

Put into the background shot of the location - the far portion of the shadow doesn't travel upwards (denoting the passenger-side tire is lifting the car OFF the ground), but looks like it connects with the shell of the car.

Color correct to extremes to make their hues and contrast levels match, add a lens flare shooting off the opposite side of the hood like it's a reflection of the sun, and viola!

Looks like the only "Photoshopping" was compositing the 2 images together - the rest appears to be mostly in-camera.

Hope this helps-
-Lew ;-)

thundering1
03-18-2008, 02:20 AM
Looking again, the shadow does indeed look like it's hitting the tire, and there's a bit of room showing space between the road and the body - but it's still looking like a composite to me...

tomt
03-18-2008, 03:49 AM
Good point, although (I am pretty sure you know this ;-) but that image isn't an HDR, as it would most likely have alot more detail in the shadows.

Regarding the Lighthouse in the link, I'm pretty sure that is HDR work, but very subtly applied. HDR work doesn't have to be blatant to be effective. The range of values for the camera to pick up with the bright flaming sky would make the foreground way too dark for it too be seen. Too much of a range for a single shot.

avinashlobo
03-18-2008, 06:21 AM
I think the car is a 3D render. The low quality edge anti-aliasing is a dead giveaway. Also, there seems to be a suspicious irregularity in the curve in the body just above the front left tyre. Thirdly, in the cavity below the headlight, the fins don't seem to be casting any form of shadow whatsoever.

If not a 3D render, then definitely a studio image which has been badly imported into the background.

Either way, it's a comped image. A sun that low in the sky does not produce razor sharp shadow edges.

rayboy
03-18-2008, 12:57 PM
As the sun is quite low, there should also be some light underneath the car.

thundering1
03-18-2008, 01:18 PM
Well, if this was all done in-camera, there are reflectors producing the sheen on the driver's side body and the front end corner, and the exposure was for the sheen and the concrete being lit in the the reflection f the sun - in which case most everything else will go VERY dark just because of latitude. This has also been extensively post-worked so it looks likt ehy made it even MORE contrasty.

However, I'm still thinking the car is a studio shot given how the far end o the hood looks as far as reflection - and there's no sign of the surroundings reflected on ANY of the car, much less off all horizonatl surface - so I'm still thinking it's a studio/location comp.

CGTalk Moderation
03-18-2008, 01:18 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.