PDA

View Full Version : Cyclops with Furry Legs

Tama
03-08-2008, 09:22 PM
Thought I'd share my first brief attempt at using Messiah3's hair on a Ray Harryhausen style cyclops model I created a while back for one of the CGTalk modeling challenges.

I spent very little time getting this into Messiah by just loading a Lwave layout scene that had this character already rigged using Lightwave's bones. It loaded complete with bones and keyframes from the Lightwave scene. Once loaded into Messiah3 I spent a little time getting the textures tweaked but they all came into Messiah3 complete with the correct uv maps alligned and ready to go. I next adjusted the displacement effect properly and then moved onto attaching the hair effect onto the mesh. I tweaked it for a while until I was satisfied enough to post these quick renders. The renders with Monte Carlo took about 2.5 minutes on my 2.2 core duo XP OS 64 bit machine. I used no fancy fur combing settings other than using gravity and the lay controls. No suggestive morph posing as in the cat example was used as I was interested to see what results can be achieved in a hurry.

http://home.comcast.net/~peachkefir/ClopsDualMessiah3_01aa.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/%7Epeachkefir/ClopsDualMessiah3_01aa.jpg

dborruso
03-08-2008, 09:34 PM
I can't see the image :( Hope to see it soon.

Bugpoo
03-08-2008, 10:40 PM
That's a really impressive quick test! I hope to see more info as you mess with messiah's hair more :-)

dborruso
03-09-2008, 12:01 AM
That is an awesome cyclops! I love his furry legs. What did you use to texture him? zbrush?

Tama
03-09-2008, 12:16 AM
That is an awesome cyclops! I love his furry legs. What did you use to texture him? zbrush?
Thanks, I used photoshop.

borisgoreta2000
03-09-2008, 06:03 PM
Cool looking legs ! :)

catizone
03-09-2008, 08:47 PM
The model is very faithful to Ray's. On the hair, you might experiment with the Volume scale for thickness and also amount of curl. Your model's fur is very thick in overall coverage, and somehwat finer hairs. Also Ray's actual model has the hair in a sort of clumping pattern. Not that you have to go for an exact match in the fur department...but just a couple of things to try if you want to gte closer yet.

I recall the challenge...did you win it? The model is much more accurate than most sculpted kits one can buy.

Best,
Rick

Tama
03-09-2008, 09:07 PM
The model is very faithful to Ray's. On the hair, you might experiment with the Volume scale for thickness and also amount of curl. Your model's fur is very thick in overall coverage, and somehwat finer hairs. Also Ray's actual model has the hair in a sort of clumping pattern. Not that you have to go for an exact match in the fur department...but just a couple of things to try if you want to gte closer yet.

I recall the challenge...did you win it? The model is much more accurate than most sculpted kits one can buy.

Best,
Rick

Thanks for the tips Rick.:) Trying to match Ray's cyclops fur might just be an exercise in frustration but I'm still eager to get something reasonably close. iirc, Ray cut up his mother's fur coat to use on some of his early creations.

Rick Baker won the challenge with his cool interpretation shown here. Looks very 2Dish to my eyes but Rick uses a lot of Zbrush which might explain the look? I do prefer mine for accuracy to Ray's original however.
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b216/robertoortiz1/cgtalk/Cyclopsfinal.jpg

catizone
03-09-2008, 11:29 PM
Hey, well at least you have the satisfaction to know you lost to the best in the business.
Rick's work as a sculptor is legendary. Altho' I never have met him, I have had the pleasure of watching him emerge over the many years, topping each previous project.
And now he has entered the cg realm. That's good. He gives us a quality level we want to attain to.

As to the 2D look, part is lighting and I would think there has been some Photoshop after the render. Likely gaussian blurs to reduce some possible cg sharpness...altho' some of that softness can be the material of the skin, subsurface scattering, etc. Another thing:his arms are not as large as the one's on Ray's model, yours is better there. Rick, however, did, IMO, a closer matching of the overall texture of the cyc's skin. And altho' not part of the model judging, look at the great color and texture in stone face behind him.

Best,
Rick

Tama
03-09-2008, 11:38 PM
Yes, Rick is a super talent and a very nice person! He complimented my entry and wanted to see it get animated. He'll probably need to wait a while longer.:scream: but needless to say he and I are big fans of Harryhausens' work and especially the cyclops. Looking forward to seeing the bluray release of The Seventh Voyage of Sinbad sometime this year as it is the film's 50th anniversary.

catizone
03-10-2008, 01:06 AM
Yes, I am very hopeful for EXTRA special additional features, given that it was probably the film that spawned most of us old guys to try and follow him.

Best,
Rick

Julez4001
03-10-2008, 01:31 PM
Your fur doesn't seem to pick up any shadows (self)
Can you post an update with it using shadows?

Tama
03-10-2008, 07:57 PM
Here's an update. I'll update as I progress.

http://home.comcast.net/%7Ebadtweed/Messiah3_Cyclops_01.jpg

catizone
03-10-2008, 08:31 PM
Also meant to suggest lowering the bump value on chest and face texture. I'd try cutting it to a third. It's pretty laid back on Ray's model.

Best,
Rick

Wegg
03-10-2008, 08:36 PM
Awesome stuff. Its great seeing others experiment with fur. One thing I found was that you have to CRANK the AA settings when using fur. Without fur, AA settings of 3-4 are fine but with the fine fibers of Fur you have to shoot those settings up to around 12 to ditch the feeling of "static" in the fibers.

Tama
03-10-2008, 09:51 PM
Also meant to suggest lowering the bump value on chest and face texture. I'd try cutting it to a third. It's pretty laid back on Ray's model.

Best,
Rick
Thanks for the extra tips and observations, they are appreciated!:thumbsup: I'll try that for the next renders I post. I actually prefer the extra lumpiness after having rendered with more and less. Ray's is actually quite a bit more pronounced than what you see for example on Baker's stylized version which looks a bit too soft. Getting the textures tweaked to perfection will have to wait until I can do a complete rework using either Mudbox or Zbrush.
Anyway, my focus was not to display a completed project (I have plenty of rework to do on the geometry and much more) but to explore the hair and share what little progess I can make in the little time I can devote to it. Way too much grass to cut, too many trees to trim and other house maintenance chores that are screaming and competing with having fun with Messiah3. Bring back the rain...

Tama
03-10-2008, 09:54 PM
Thanks William! I have a go a trying those settings. This is so much easier to deal with than
using Sas and the look is much nicer imho.

Tama
03-14-2008, 06:26 PM
Found some spare time to tweak hair settings and get the fur to look a bit more unkempt.
Still no fancy settings other than the basic settings and a noise shader for the color channel.

http://home.comcast.net/%7Ebadtweed/Cyclop_pmg3_01aa.jpg

isobarxx
03-14-2008, 08:05 PM
Nice! It's looking good. Maybe use a metaeffector to blend from fur to no fur around his waist?

Tama
03-14-2008, 08:25 PM
Nice! It's looking good. Maybe use a metaeffector to blend from fur to no fur around his waist?
Thanks, I plan on getting that taken care of as he does look like he waxes.:eek:
I'll post updates when I can.

Bugpoo
03-15-2008, 03:11 AM
I really like the randomness and curl on the fur :-)
Can you show a screen shot of your settings?

Tama
03-15-2008, 05:27 PM
I really like the randomness and curl on the fur :-)
Can you show a screen shot of your settings?
Sure, this object is rather large in scale so of course the settings will need to be
adjusted as the size of an object/character dictates.

http://home.comcast.net/%7Ebadtweed/Hair_Settings_02.jpg

Bugpoo
03-16-2008, 07:35 PM
Thanks very much for posting that Tama :-)

Tama
03-25-2008, 05:42 PM
Thanks very much for posting that Tama :-)

No problem.:)

I found time to try out using uv mapped control of hair length, density etc.

http://home.comcast.net/%7Epeachkefir/Messiah3_Cyclops_02.jpg

Ulven
03-25-2008, 06:29 PM
Nice :) Makes quite a difference that.

rago
03-25-2008, 06:31 PM
looking good:)
Perhaps a bit longer hair on the upper part of leg?
Great job.

My Fault
03-25-2008, 06:51 PM
Man, that looks fantastic!

Ulven
03-25-2008, 11:54 PM
If I can make a suggestion I would say add some more translucency to the skin, balancing it with diffuse as in the little rat tutorial I did (not as much as there, but more than you've got here), plop it in a scenery (photos and videos of scenery are perfectly good as far as I'm concerned) and light it to match.

My Fault
03-26-2008, 12:07 AM
Good suggestions Ulven but I want to add.... then animate it! :thumbsup:

Tama
04-06-2008, 09:41 PM
Thanks for all the kind comments and tips! Found some more time to play with some shader settings. Probably get around next to incorporating my geometry mesh alterations, adding facial morphs and rerigging.

This fur is quite fun to use. The first render showing a coat of golden sausages was funny enough to post here. The 2nd render is using some recommended skin translucency. Probably going to try out Taron's skin shader network to see what it will yield.

http://home.comcast.net/%7Epeachkefir/Cyclops_002.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/%7Epeachkefir/Cyclops_001.jpg

Julez4001
04-07-2008, 02:11 AM
You might want to change your lighting to take advantage of your skin shader.
Some back lighting is recommended.

Sausage hair looks great and funny.

Bugpoo
04-07-2008, 06:18 PM
Nice! This guy is really coming to life :-) Is it possible for you to smooth out the contrast between his horn and the base it's growing out of? To make it feel like they're more connected and the horn is a part of him? My .02

Tama
04-07-2008, 06:54 PM
Thanks for the observations guys!:) I plan to address both suggestions when time allows.
I have many areas that require adjusting and improvement but not much time so I'm
doing little nip and tucks here and there. My main focus of course has been just to share my
adventures in furville as I discover what it can do.:)

Taron333
04-11-2008, 01:59 AM
VERY nice! I think one way to make the connection between horn and head stronger is also possible by even raising the contrast. That could be done in two different ways by either darkening down the skin around the base and brighten up the base of the horn or the other way around. Just look at a shaved deer, HAHAHAHA!

Anyway, I love the skin shader, you've done an excellent job with it. I think it's actually twice the show off by having just such an arbitrary lighting, yet, you can always gain a more dramatic feel with harsher side or back lighting.

Also I would reshape the belt area between naked skin and furry legs. Think of natural pubic hair growth, so to say or how sometimes hair grows up towards the belly button in the center. That would make it feel more natural, I think.

I actually like the blobby scaly hair. Very fitting in a weird way!

ROCK ON! :thumbsup:

Tama
04-13-2008, 12:16 AM
Thanks a bunch for taking the time to comment and provide some recommendations! :)
I'm hoping to find time to incorporate your suggestions to improve the character.
I'd also like to add another beasty character to allow for some interaction, maybe the dragon from the same movie...:hmm:

CGTalk Moderation
04-13-2008, 12:16 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.