PDA

View Full Version : problem with eyedropper tool

ddeveloping
03-08-2008, 07:08 PM
I have had a problem with the eyedropper tool that is driving me crazy. When I use it, it selects color for the background not the foreground. Is there a toggle I'm overlooking?

mykhel
03-10-2008, 10:10 AM
The eyedropper selects background when the alt key is depressed (Windows). Maybe it is stuck? I doubt it very much, but.... Try reseting the tool itself in the options bar.

ddeveloping
03-11-2008, 03:24 PM
Didn't work. I forgot to mention, when I hold down alt it selects the foreground. Anymore ideas?

mykhel
03-11-2008, 08:44 PM
All out of ideas, except....

You can reset ALL photoshop defaults by doing this. If that doesn't restore it, I would think you have a corrupt copy of PS. This will wipe out any personal preferecnces you might have so you will have to put them back manually.

Do one of the following:

Press and hold Alt+Control+Shift (Windows) or Option+Command+Shift (Mac OS) as you start Photoshop. You are prompted to delete the current settings.

(Mac OS only) Open the Preferences folder in the Library folder, and drag the Adobe Photoshop CS Settings folder to the Trash.

New Preferences files are created the next time you start Photoshop

Calegolas
03-11-2008, 11:11 PM
I donīt have a solution for this Problem but I can agree that it is probably a corupt version.
on another forum several Users users used th e eyedropper tool and nearly half of them picked a color slightly different from the background. you could observe this in the final pictures.

we found out that the eyedropper didnīt work correctly because the Users where the problem occured used the english version with a language patch (and crack probably).

hope that helps somehow...

leigh
03-11-2008, 11:23 PM
This has nothing to do with a corrupt Photoshop. You just need to watch your settings.

Open the Colour window from Windows>Colour. Click on the foreground swatch and ensure that it gets a black outline indicating that the swatch is active. This basically sets which swatch is treated as the primary, and which as the secondary. You must have accidentally switched it without realising (I'm not sure what the keyboard shortcut is).

CGTalk Moderation
03-11-2008, 11:23 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.