PDA

View Full Version : Final Gather & Unrealistic Glowing

tomb
05-06-2003, 02:52 AM
Hi. I'm getting this annoying problem where the suface appears to glow when I use Final Gather. The skin appears to glow like there is a light under the surface. I know this is what FG is meant to do but the effect is too strong. Can I tune down this effect somehow?

Just thought I would add this happens in the nooks and crannies like the depression between the eye and nose...

mental
05-06-2003, 04:54 AM
in the material's attribute menu you will also find a mental ray submenu. try turning down the material's irradiance color from white to gray.

hope that helps
-mental :surprised

tomb
05-06-2003, 02:50 PM
Thanks for the reply mental

I think the effect of 100% irradiance is good but just for these blowouts. It's as if the light is bouncing back and fourth off the surface getting stonger and stonger making these hotspots. They only appear in the depressions and look out of place. I'll post an image of the collar bone later on that demonstrates this better...

jeremybirn
05-06-2003, 05:56 PM
The other big variable to play with is the brightness of the surfaces around the character, behind the camera, above, below, to the sides... how well lit their are (or how incandescent they are) will change your FG. If you like the overall tone, but not where it self-reflects, then maybe you need to build a brighter surrounding scene, and then turn down the irradience to compensate.

-jeremy

tomb
05-07-2003, 12:54 AM
OK thanks Jeremy. That sounds like good advice and the soloution.

I'll post this image for your reassurance that this is normal Final Gather behaviour. The second one has level tweaking to clarify the effect...

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.