PDA

View Full Version : Controls question

cwisbg
03-08-2008, 02:39 AM
I am rigging a very simple blocky figure. he has all separate pieces for his limbs ( arm, forearm...) and i would instead of building controls for moving the ik handles i could just select the actual mesh and pull it around that way.

Geuse
03-08-2008, 02:18 PM
What exactly do you mean? You want to move the ik handle by selecting the geometry for the hand? Isn't your character supposed to be smooth skinned?

cwisbg
03-08-2008, 03:31 PM
yeah, he has separate parts for each limb. made up of blocks but the question kindof applies also if he was one mesh and did have smooth skin. instead of controls can i use the actual mesh, something like selecting in a certain area would activate the control.

Geuse
03-08-2008, 06:04 PM
Ah, not that I know of, but often when animating a character, instead of using the smoothskin for viewing the animation in realtime in the viewport, you have parts for each limb that is directly constrained to the bone they are to be controlling. Most often these controllers are nurbs curves. But In your case you'd want to select the direct mesh to control the appropriate joint. So you could go about a different of ways to achieve just that.
1. The first and easiest would be to actually orient constrain the joint itself to each limb and control the joint by rotating the limb, but this would only work with fk, though. And you would also have to create group nodes which are oriented after the joints so that the limbs end up with the same orientation as the joints.
2. You can parent the mesh to the joints and use a command to select the joint by simply selecting the mesh, but this doesn't work that well with layers, cause if you have the skeleton hidden, the limbs are hidden aswell. Also most people don't like to have the joints to have keyframes on them, but I don't really know a good answer fot that.

What I'd personally would do is using the first example, but in an altered way. I'd have one layer with the fk controls which are the split up meshes for each FK-limb. but when switching to ik, these "mesh fk controls" are hidden and instead a new layer with duplicate meshes are displayed but these meshes are parent constrained to the "bind joints" and a new control is visible for controlling the ik arm and the pole vector. it is up to you if you don't want to use nurbs controls and this would work just as well. just be sure to check off "renderable for these limbs"

I hope I'm making myself clear here =)

CGTalk Moderation
03-08-2008, 06:04 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.