PDA

View Full Version : Finger Controls

dude5487
03-08-2008, 12:36 AM
I have a quick rigging question. As an animator would you much rather see an FK control for each finger joint or a slider option that curls the fingers? I have gotten mixed feedback about both and lately all I hear is give the animators as much control as possible.

Thoughts?

Josh

stewartjones
03-08-2008, 02:46 AM
It's really down to the animators who use your rig. If your feeback is mixed, then why not do both?!?! :)

spacegroo
03-09-2008, 03:17 PM
Both.

While the ability to curl fingers via sliders can be convenient to get pre-sets and general gross movements, I absolutely hate animating exclusively from sliders. I much prefer direct bone manipulation for more nuanced posing. I find animating from sliders and other control objects to be far less natural.

What I've done is built upon some of Paul Neale's scripting (as outlined on his CG Academy DVD) to create a two-way wired finger rig so that I have the option for slider driven posing, but if I choose I can also rotate the fingers directly, which in turn updates my sliders.

This is all in Max, but I'm assuming other packages have similar capabilities.

dude5487
03-10-2008, 01:24 AM
Thanks to the both of you for the feedback.

I am looking into setting up the hand rig for my character later on this week. When I get something functional working which will allow both I will post a video clip of my set up.

Thanks again!

Josh

CGTalk Moderation
03-10-2008, 01:24 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.