PDA

View Full Version : Eschaton: Elephian Fighter

AC_Shrike
05-06-2003, 01:09 AM
Hi everyone,
I recently completed my first texture assignment for Gnostic Lab's upcoming game, Eschaton ( http://www.eschaton-online.com ). This is the Celerity Class Fighter of the Alephian race. It's a max5 render and not an ingame shot (those are available at their site, though). The model (not modeled by myself) is approximately 13k faces and uses 11 materials (42 textures total, including diffuse, specular, bump and self illumination maps, all at 512 x 512). The game engine scales all this down as necessary, but I thought I'd share a nice tight render from max, just to make the textures a tad more clear. More screens can be seen at my site, at:

http://www.hollanholmes.com/images/eschaton/celerity/celerity_beta_phase1.html

Comments are encouraged.

http://www.hollanholmes.com/images/eschaton/celerity/cel_fighter_final_01_800.jpg

jdevin
05-06-2003, 01:43 AM
That's great!

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

jfalconer
05-06-2003, 01:43 AM
very impressive. I especially like the planet's texture.

AC_Shrike
05-06-2003, 01:47 AM
Thank you, jfalconer, but unfortunately, that background image of the planet has nothing to do with the game. Its a NASA photo I downloaded and edited in Photoshop simply to use as an interesting backdrop for the ship renders. Thanks, though, for the kind words.:) You too, jdevin, thanks.

metal me solid
05-06-2003, 01:47 AM
0_0 that is awsome work, the texture looks perfect to me, awsome detail.. whaaaaa

acl, who DID the model, that guy kicks ass as well.. maybe this is about the textures.. but.. ehh.. *sweat*.. can we please see a wire..?

AC_Shrike
05-06-2003, 01:53 AM
metal,
The ship was modeled by a gentleman named Dan, who goes by Balrog as his nick. Thats all I know (I just joined the team and Dan just left). Since it isn't my model, I'm not at liberty to show anything more than my own work, sorry. Thank you for your interest, though.
Wireframes may be available later, at the Eschaton site. Other ships' wireframes are there.

http://www.eschaton-online.com

goodlag
05-06-2003, 06:44 AM
amazing!

I Love It!:drool:

gaggle
05-06-2003, 09:55 AM
Schweeet ship. I.. uh.. one question: it's flying away, ie. we're watching the rearend, in the screenshot right?

I'd say feel free to post the flat textures if you'd be up for it, would be nice to see how you've managed to stretch 512^2 over all that surfacearea. Used any uv-recycling techniques?

The ship seems overall very clean. It's certainly not always appropriate to cover these things with various forms of damage, but.. I just wanted to point it out in case the lack of damage was unintentional.

AC_Shrike
05-06-2003, 01:44 PM
Gaggle,
Thanks, glad you like it.

Q:Schweeet ship. I.. uh.. one question: it's flying away, ie. we're watching the rearend, in the screenshot right?

A:Yes, you're viewing the ship from its aft section.

Q: I'd say feel free to post the flat textures if you'd be up for it, would be nice to see how you've managed to stretch 512^2 over all that surfacearea. Used any uv-recycling techniques?

A: I think you misunderstood. There are 11 materials (42 textures total) that cover this ship. Each material is comprised of up to 4 textures, which control specular, bump and self illumination, not just diffuse. Recycling techniques were used extensively, but I tried very hard to avoid mirrored seams that so often ruin otherwise good texturework. It took 30 hours alone, just to uv map this model. 13,000 polygons...ugh. Its painstaking work. The ship I'm uv mapping now has a whopping 41,000. I'll have screens of it when the NDA allows me to post.

Q: The ship seems overall very clean. It's certainly not always appropriate to cover these things with various forms of damage, but.. I just wanted to point it out in case the lack of damage was unintentional.

A: The Alephian race built their ships of materials unknown to any human. I actually had to go in and remove much of the initial weathering, because I'd beat these ships up a bit too much, heheh. The design style for this race calls for very sleek, metallic surfaces, with little damage and weathering, but it is present, which you can see here:

http://www.hollanholmes.com/images/eschaton/celerity/celerity_beta_phase1.html

Thanks for everyone's helpful comments and wonderful praise.

gaggle
05-06-2003, 02:42 PM
Holy shi.. uh.. y.. yeah I did misunderstand the texture-thing.

So this ship loads up 41 unique 512^2 textures? Or are some of them 8-bit alpha-channels? Still, just 11 unique diffuse colour 512^2 textures for one model seems like a lot.. My God.. how many megabytes are we talking about here?

AC_Shrike
05-07-2003, 01:58 AM
gaggle,
Yeah, its alot of textures for one model, either for a game or otherwise. Their game engine, however, does some unique trickery to handle the textures in a very efficient manner, although it does involve some serious loss of detail, at least in the examples I've seen so far. I know little of the engine, actually. They just recently contracted me to texture some models for them and we've not had a chance to get me up to speed with arranging for me to test my work myself in the engine.

All of the textures, other than than the diffuse textures, are black and white, resulting in slightly smaller file sizes, however all images are .bmp format. The entire texture set for this model is about 20 meg. How the engine deals with such a mass is beyond me, but it does it well. More later, when I better understand the process.

SyDemon
05-07-2003, 10:55 AM
GODLIKE!!! Nuff said.

illOgic
05-07-2003, 06:51 PM
that is extremely impressive. nice work, and no crits.

Dichotomy
05-07-2003, 07:39 PM
...Beautiful...

Will we ever see it animated, in like a cut scene or something so the engine doesn't affect the detail??
Can't wait :bounce:

AC_Shrike
05-07-2003, 11:33 PM
Sy, ill and Di,
Thanks for the fine compliments. Now to wait for the swelling to go down so I can get my head through the door...Quick, someone flame me, heheheh.

Unfortunately, Dichotomy, it is unlikely that this ship will appear in any prerendered cut scenes, at least from Gnostic Labs. I may someday animate it for my demo reel, but certainly no plans are slated for that work just yet. I'm anticipating Gnostic Lab's demo for Eschoton (the game in which these ships will appear), that they are preparing for presentation at E3 (Electronic Entertainment Expo) in LA on 5/15, will reveal a little more detail than their current screenshots reflect. Even that issue aside, Eschaton is going to be an extremely immersive game, visually at the least, which was one of the main reasons I accepted their contract offer. More soon. Thanks again, everyone.

megaman
05-14-2003, 12:15 AM
Damn, shrike, just noticed you're posting here :)
That's extremely nice!

AC_Shrike
05-14-2003, 02:22 AM
Megaman!
Thank you, kind sir. This work is the very reason Alien Culture has received so little attention on my part. I've not given up on it, though, so after this month, I should have more time to throw at it. I am, however, continuing to concentrate on my work with Gnostic Labs, since it counts as industry experience, which is worth its weight in gold. (hmm, how much does industry experience weigh anyway? hehehe). I'll have additional screens of new ships soon.

Thanks again for the kind words, bro. Stay in touch, and stay busy!:beer:

robin
05-14-2003, 02:40 AM
just Wooow !!!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

AC_Shrike
05-14-2003, 02:42 AM
Why, thank you, Robin. Thats great to hear. =)

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.