PDA

View Full Version : Mudbox Subdividing issue

BurningEssence
03-07-2008, 07:15 PM
im trying to make a normal map for a model, but mudbox wont let me subdivide more than once it will crash at 90% :( the only way it will work is if i dont keep the texture coords while exporting out of max....but then theres no point cuz i cant make a normal map :*( plz help

-------------> video on whats going on http://files.filefront.com/Mudboxrar/;9772804;/fileinfo.html

BurningEssence
03-07-2008, 08:09 PM
anyone? i really need to finish this model :(

S-P-Y
03-16-2008, 06:17 PM
hello,

thanks for uploading the video file. (i was hoping it was the obj file) eitherway. So the only time i've ever ran into that error before was when i had illegal geometry. Mudbox won't subdivide triangles at all. the other time i ran into a subdivision issue, i thought i had faces sitting on other faces. This, even though they are quads, will still cause an issue and mudbox will give the same error. I found those faces mirrored across the origin by the way. (a by-product, so to speak, of extruding along the origin)

I hope this helps.

- Steve

greenboba
03-17-2008, 10:35 PM
i've had this problem as well. my fix was to do something to the geometry, no matter how small before subdividing again, like slightly smear a vert, then subdivide, worked for me. good luck.

CKPinson
03-18-2008, 12:27 AM
I think tris will be fine but you probably have nGons or nom-folds. Cleanup your mesh in Max, unfortunately you're gonna lose this one but it's not worht squat unless you model it correctly. I've sucessfully mapped a mesh with tris in it but got outlandish artifacts.

S-P-Y
03-18-2008, 12:59 AM
Yeah mudbox will definatley load a mesh with triangles and you can bake onto a mesh that contains triangles. But if your subdividing a mesh with tris it will crash. (i'm running skymatters last version don't know if they allow this now though).

CGTalk Moderation
03-18-2008, 12:59 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.