PDA

View Full Version : Joint Flipping

jmarcus0117
03-07-2008, 06:54 PM
I am rigging a character and I have an issue with one arm. The joint rotation axis are all set to 0 and they all have been oriented. I have a controler for the shoulder joint and when I orient contraint the controler to the joint, the rotaion of "Y" fo rthe shoulder joint rotates 360 and this is a problem when I am blending the IK/FK. I tried creating a null group to take the junk info but that is not working either. Please help me anyone!

JamSession
03-07-2008, 09:17 PM
what package are you using?

If Maya, freeze tranforms on the shoulder control object.

When you do the orient contraint, open the box and "CHECK" maintain offset. This should fix it.

jmarcus0117
03-08-2008, 01:49 AM
Thank you for your reply. I have allready froze the orientation of the joints and the orient constraint is set to maintain offset. I have more info on the issue. I noticed that the shoulder controller for the FK joints could be the problem. When the controller is oriented to the shoulder joint the Y orient is fliped from 0 to 360. When blending b/f orienting the the shoulder controller the flipping does not occur. No to counter this I tried creating a null group and orienting it to the shoulder the deletting it and then orient the controller but that did not work. Nor did using the group as a middle man between the connections worked. Any suggestions. Oh I am using Maya 8.5.

ilmostrog
04-01-2008, 02:22 PM
Here is what I do.

create your controller curve, point constraint to your bone, delete point constraint. Freeze transformations once it is in the position that you want. Group the curve under it self. Point contraint that group to the shoulder joint and then delete that constraint, orient constraint to the shoulder joint and then delete that constraint (do not check 'maintain offset') then parent the shoulder to the controller. It should work you don't delete the group node of the controller this allows you to maintain your zero transformtions and still be oriented to the shoulder.

jmarcus0117
04-03-2008, 12:10 AM
thank you for your response. I ended up doing that a few weeks ago and everything is cool now. Shalom.

CGTalk Moderation
04-03-2008, 12:10 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.