PDA

View Full Version : Non spherical eyes

spaz8
03-07-2008, 05:21 PM
I'm making a character and the design has fairly oblong eyes.. for animating purposes they should be perfect spheres.. I'm wondering how ppl would recommend to approach this.. IN maya you could put a deformation lattice over the eyes to get the cartoony shape but the rotated as if they were still spheres since the lattice effect was after the the bone etc had rotated it.. any ideas how to make functional non-spherical eyes in Messiah?

Ulven
03-07-2008, 05:53 PM
Model your eyes spherically, then parent the eye bone or object to a muscle bone. You can then squash your eye shape, while still retaining normal rotation of the eye.

spaz8
03-07-2008, 06:22 PM
Great.. thought I'd ask.. my Messiah is still in the mail but was wondering how to approach this.. thanks.

Julez4001
03-07-2008, 08:31 PM
Hey Ulven..can you show a picture of your setup for your example.
Pretty please!

catizone
03-07-2008, 08:38 PM
In the past, I have generally used nulls and scaled them. Maybe bones allows you to add weights so you can get more of a variation...

Is that the reason you use bones for that, Ulven.

Best,
Rick

Ulven
03-07-2008, 08:50 PM
It's essentially the same setup as the beachball rig in the example content that ships with v3.

The reason I use muscle bones for the scaling is that with these kinds of eyes you often want to squash and stretch those eyes in animation too. This is easiest done with a muscle bone as the parent of the rest of the eye.

kursad_pileksuz
03-08-2008, 06:17 AM
You can definetely use this technique for muscles as well.

Here just to demonstrate the idea I have used cross muscles to demonstrate the basic premise.I have used one muscle bone for connecting bicep to radius and one for flexing. Here moving the null will drive the muscle that is perpendicular to humerus(upper arm). This is a rough example but I think using double muscle bones can be beneficial in certain cases.

http://stashbox.org/88966/1082811225-messiahstudio-kol_bicep_musclebone_dene.fxs.jpg

CGTalk Moderation
03-08-2008, 06:17 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.