PDA

View Full Version : Clothtag + PLA = Curtain???

~daniela~
03-07-2008, 09:11 AM
Hi there!

I'm trying to get a good/realistic looking curtain using Cloth and Point Level Animation.
I'm not gettig it...

I create a plane with 40/40 Segments.
Then i select every 5thpoint or so on the top-edge to make them sticky.
then I'd like these sticky points to move to one side with the effect of a curtain pulled back.

What do i have to do to animate these points?

Thanks in advance
Dani

JamesMK
03-07-2008, 09:29 AM
As far as I know, animating fixed points will not work. In your scenario, I would probably try setting up a few invisible polygon objects, to which I'd stick the curtain points using belt tags. Then you'd simply animate the invisible objects to open/close the curtain.

MorpheusMan
03-07-2008, 10:07 AM
Yep, do it as JamesMK said.
Animating fixed points does work, but you will quickly find yourself getting bogged down with over complicated keyframes and the like.
Once you have set up your invisible objects it is actually possible to set them up with expresso so that you can just move a slider back and forth to open and close the curtain.
Just make sure that you choose more than one point to belt onto otherwise it wont work. Hopefully Maxon will update that in the future.

Morph

~daniela~
03-07-2008, 11:41 AM
Hi again!

Thanks a lot!
Got it...I had made som stupid mistakes using belt beforehand.

Dani

gildattack
03-07-2008, 02:50 PM
there is a video tutorial i'm sure you will find usefull at benytone's site. Scroll down to see it
http://www.anim3d.de.tl/Clothilde-Tuto.htm
hope it helps

danb
03-07-2008, 08:50 PM
Another way you could do it is use the invisible object method but then instead of having to go into xpresso you could use a spline.

Create some objects you are going to use as belt objects. Give each a spline attach tag. Create a linear spline with only 2 points. Select all the spline attach tags and drag the linear spline into the spline feild. Set each belt object's spline attach position to match up with your clothilde curtain. Belt all the points to the closest invisible belt object. Then animate one point on the spline left or right and all the belt objects will keep an even space between each other.

Sample attached. In sample more subdivisions are needed, but general idea is there.

CGTalk Moderation
03-07-2008, 08:50 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.