PDA

View Full Version : Using a curve as an influence object

Eeria
03-07-2008, 12:16 AM
Hey all,

I'd like to use a nurbs curve to deform a polygonal mesh. The problem I'm running into is that the curve only affects the mesh when transformed in object mode. I'd like it to affect the geometry based on the control points. I know I can add clusters and add those as influences, but I'd rather not have to go in and weight each cluster separately. Any ideas?

Thanks
-ee

Geuse
03-07-2008, 02:20 AM
Maybe I misunderstand you which often is the case I'm sad to say, though it makes me seem dumb =/. But cant you use a wire deformer for this?

Eeria
03-07-2008, 08:33 PM
Unfortinately the wire deformer doesn't offer enough refined control over the influence of the geometry. I really need to be able to hand-weight the influence. Do you know of any way to do that other than just the distance falloff on the wire deformer?

Geuse
03-08-2008, 12:39 AM
Sure. You can go in and set the weight points manually for each point on the mesh, but it's not that intuitive since you have to go by the component editor and you wouldn't get any visual feedback in the colors as you'll get when skinning a mesh, but if you don't have that much problem areas to attend to I think it should work. So just set the general dropoff distance and then alter some of the points on the mesh to have greater falloff.

Good Luck. would be interesting to know what you're working on.

Eeria
03-10-2008, 03:46 PM
Thanks a bunch! I'm doing some R&D for different ways to create blendshapes. It was just one of many ideas I'm trying out.

-ee

Geuse
03-10-2008, 04:32 PM
Ok, cool. So this is only for creating the shapes, not animating with? Any other approaches you'd found valuable? would be interesting to know =)

and thank you for your thanks =) means alot.

CGTalk Moderation
03-10-2008, 04:32 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.