PDA

View Full Version : UV's and phototshop

JIII
05-05-2003, 08:49 PM
Can anyone tell me how to get UV's into photoshop.

Currently I am taking a picture of my uv map and then putting it into my base channel. is there some plugin or something that will accept the UV info so I can paint over it and stillsee the UV's.

Like have the Uv's with out having them as part of my image.

gmask
05-05-2003, 09:20 PM
Why not use a seperate layer?

dans
05-05-2003, 11:40 PM
The only plug-in I know that can do that is GhostPainter 2 for 3ds max from cebas. It can create Photoshop paths from UVs (The feature is called Unwrap to Path). GhostPainter can also produce selections from UVs.

http://www.cebas.com/products/feature.asp?UD=10-7888-33-788&PID=5&FID=367

The following list is from the GhostPainter web site:

Advantages of using paths:
- vector graphics sub-pixel precision (thin unwrap lines even at 1600%)
- visible while editing channels and masks
- quick show/hide using shortcuts (Ctrl+Shift+h)
- never appear as part of a texture in 3dsmax
- stay always on top of all other layers
- clearly visible against underlying layers
- accurate undistorted display at each zoom-level
- never influence other tools (e.g. the clone stamp tool with the all layers option)
- lose no quality when changing the image size
- can be stroked with Photoshop brushes

Daniel

theGuest
05-06-2003, 12:44 AM
Hey you know Stu too huh? (Kiwi) :)

I'm not 100% sure of what your asking but i'm going to jump at the guess that you're wanting to bring into PS a picture of your model's UV map to paint it up... right?

Your map should be opened into PS first (in RGB Colour Mode), then new layers added to the document above the map whereby you paint on them in the appropriate places to create your texture map.

In C4D you can use the freeware plugin called UV2BMP (http://www.r-j.de/c4d/beta.htm). It will generate a UV imagemap that you can just COPY and paste right into PS while you have PS open. No need to save out an extra image for this. UV2BMP comes with some simple instructions, but basically you just select the model/parts you want to generate the map for, open the PLUGINS menu and choose UV2BMP. Click the "Box Mapping" button then the "Apply UV Changes" button. This opens the UV map into the render window. Under EDIT choose COPY.

Go back to PS and create a New Document. Accept the defaults except the colour mode... change it to RGB, then click OK. Then Ctrl+V to paste your UV map into the document on it's own layer. Press Ctrl+I to invert the colours -- so you have black outlines now. Change this layer's blend mode to Multiply. Add new layers now BELOW the template layer, and you can paint away, while still being able to see the model outlines.

When done painting your textures, or when you're ready to test it out... HIDE the UV template layer and save out the image -- do NOT flatten your work document. Use the "Save As.." function under the EDIT menu.

Hope that makes sense. :bounce:

HarlequiN
05-06-2003, 02:02 AM
The closest thing to the above for 3DS Max is Texporter , available from http://www.cuneytozdas.com/software/

JIII
05-06-2003, 04:26 AM
thanks guys I have a few ideas big help.

yeah I do know kiwi. he gave me the ieda for this sig.

L_4
05-14-2003, 05:24 PM
One way i do my uvs is to go into the uv texture editor after you lay out your uv's and go into the polygons menu set and go down to uv snapshot. Next go to the browse and find the folder that you want to put it in. Now select the size and put it as a jpeg and hit ok.

Now you can put it in photoshop and what i like to do is invert it so i can use it as a guide.

Right now I'm working with finding a easier way to lay out uvs and I think that I found out a way and if you want to know i'll be happy to tell you.

izzylong
05-14-2003, 06:42 PM
Hey L_4, I'D be happy to know!

theGuest
05-14-2003, 09:46 PM
Yes, me too please. :)

L_4
05-15-2003, 08:29 PM
okay this trick can only work on an object that is the same on both sides. lets say you make half a face in 3d. you go to the u v texture editor and layout those uvs. once you layout those uvs then you duplicate your half made face -1 scale. make sure that your polygon model is in the low res verson first cause you might get a seem. this will go away when you smooth it out. combine the object with the duplicate. Ok now in your uv texture editor and go in and select one uv and go to select menu and click shell selected and drag that over now you have 2 uvs for the same object. filp one of the uvs and sew them together how you want them. Thats it there goes something for you to mess with. if you want to know more in depth then i can put together some pics for you. :thumbsup:

theGuest
05-16-2003, 02:52 AM
It sounds real interesting... yes, PICS PLZ! :bounce: :applause:

koinu
05-16-2003, 03:05 AM
JIII,
Hey Bro,
Listen to theGuest's info, it is the best way to generate your uv map in P/S. This is why you need to have the map in it's own layer (gmask)This will fullfill all your desires...HAHA:wavey:

theGuest
05-16-2003, 10:58 AM
:bounce:

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.