PDA

View Full Version : Physics properties in Maya Fluids?

NordJan
03-06-2008, 02:17 PM
Hi,
I am quite new to Maya and this seems the place for questions.
For my job, I have to investigate the possibilities to use Maya Fluids Effects for architectical purposes: for example, wind flowing past buildings.
As I have a background in Fluid Dynamics, I am wondering about the physics foundation under the fluid effects. Specifically, I am looking for the way to set the Reynolds Number in the calculations. I have found an item within the help file, but this seems a very rough setting "When Viscosity is 1, the material Reynolds Number is 0; when it is 0, the Reynolds Number is 10000.". Does this mean there is no way of setting the Re-number to 1 million or even higher?
The ultimate question is of course whether Maya is suitable at all for fluid dynamic calculations, but for now any light on the fluid properties will make me happy.

Thanks.

thehive
03-06-2008, 08:15 PM
Well you have to ask

1. are u goin to animate the secens
2. you went on about how fluids work and your back round , so kinda got lost as to what your really asking

so ill would take a shot an say if you want to wait for long renders for stills then sure use fluids , if there is a full blown need to use fluids in arch viz stuff then have it, i wouldnt to be on the safe side.

hope that helps cheers

hkspowers
03-06-2008, 09:38 PM
Well to me it seems that you would like to be pretty acurate in your wind solve. If this is the case I would go with Next Limit's X-Flow. It is very close to reality and uses physics very accurately. I am sure you can set your values for your physics in that software. Hope this helps.

James

NordJan
03-13-2008, 04:01 PM
Thanks for your answers, so far. I didn't mean to expand too much on fluids, but merely quoted what I found in the help file.
I know this forum is about CG, and this question is probably on the limits. I could easily step over to a different program (or a CFD solution), but I am interested to know whether Maya could be used for flow calculations and what the limitations would be, specially with respect to accuracy of velocities.

CGTalk Moderation
03-13-2008, 04:01 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.