PDA

View Full Version : another xsi noob question - shadows not black

SvenKalkschmidt
03-06-2008, 02:46 PM
hi folks,

got another thing i cant figure out in xsi. i do not understand, why the cast shadow is not black. is there some mbient setting for the whole scene i do not know about? i turned the umbra to 0, i can of course darken the cast shadow by going negative but thats rather a cheap fix, can anyone help me out?

JDex
03-06-2008, 02:56 PM
Yes, there is a scene wide ambience setting.

Hit 3 to go into the Rendering Toolbar, and the Ambience button is the last one in the Modify section.

SvenKalkschmidt
03-06-2008, 03:16 PM
thanks jdex. i did not knwo about that one. problem does not go away though. even weirder now, as one side i black and the other is not. how can there be any reflected light? are there (hidden) default lights in xsi, that i have to switch off? sorry if these are stupid questions

JDex
03-06-2008, 03:29 PM
there is a default light called "light"... it should be visible in the scene explorer (press 8 to open the explorer).

Sil3
03-06-2008, 03:55 PM
On the Light PPG check to see if the UMBRA is like .75... make it 0 for pure Black Shadows, why it is at .75 beats me, one of those XSi Mysteries :D

SvenKalkschmidt
03-06-2008, 07:09 PM
jdex: problem solved! thankyou very much!
sil3: i knew about the umbra slider, but thanks anyway. in 3ds max things were a bit easier to handle. i never understood why there is this ambient lighting at all, but i guess its for those people who have to worry about render times. ;-)

bravmm
03-07-2008, 03:23 PM
Nope, it's just one of these things like Phong, all based on the beginning of 3D rendering, but still in place today. We slowly shift to different ways of lighting, like renderers as Brazil and Maxwell.

SvenKalkschmidt
03-07-2008, 04:32 PM
oh - i didnt know that. sorry for my stupidity

CGTalk Moderation
03-07-2008, 04:32 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.