PDA

View Full Version : First Post - Environmental Scene

PSekula
04-18-2002, 03:32 AM
This would be my first post to CGTalk. I've been browsing through people's finished pieces as well as WIPs and I like what I see. So I thought I would dive in and post one of my works here to see what you all think.

I want to break into the gaming industry, so doing game-style scenes, models, and textures, I think, is the way to go.

http://www.sekula.com/pete/Images/alley.jpg

Modeled in max4, textured in Photoshop.

Please visit my website at http://www.sekula.com for more.

Thanks guys.

bike
04-18-2002, 03:59 AM
:buttrock:

nice one! the graffiti is a nice touch.

no crits, except you can tell the tile on the sidewalk.

popnGEAR
04-18-2002, 02:04 PM
one good buttrock deserves another 4

:buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock:

toma
04-18-2002, 08:55 PM
WOW yes i like it very much !

The ambiance looks to be very clean.
Maybe you could post close-ups, and give more information about this scene : number of faces, size of the textures, number of textures, if you used a lightmap or not etc.

To be more precise, you could even make renders of a players' point of view, at a "game" resolution like 1024*768 etc to get a more realistic render.

What kind of render is it ? GI or just normal lights ? Be more precise please :)

Anyway i like it

toma.

PSekula
04-18-2002, 10:42 PM
The number of faces is around the 10,000 mark. Kinda high for what it is, but it can certainly come down.

The size of the textures vary. I planar mapped everything, of course. I took the buildings, unwrapped them, then mapped them proportionally.

No lightmaps are used.

I used max's lighting. There are two omni lights, and the ambient light is set to a dark blue to give that nightly feel.

I'd render out an eye-level shot, but I'm at work right now and don't have the scene on me. Here's the only other render I have.

http://www.sekula.com/pete/Images/alley2.jpg

Henrik Hörlin
04-19-2002, 12:49 AM
Well, You defenetly get a game feel to it and I like it alot.
I don´t have to much experience with the game industry but I think they use less (unfortunatly) detailed maps. It looks to nice to IN a game. Most objects textures shuld fit on one or two 512*512 pixel image.
I culd be wrong about this. It may be old info...

PSekula
04-19-2002, 02:09 AM
Yea I know about the 512x512 mapping. But it's not like I can't take the maps I have now and chop them up to fit that resolution, so it's no big deal.

Here's a more recent rendering I did. I did this entire project in a week's time, textures and all. These textures do indeed fit the 512x512 requirement ;)

http://www.sekula.com/pete/images/cathedral.jpg

I posted it as a link instead of attaching it because the image doesn't have compression on it. Thanks.

jeremy weldon
04-19-2002, 09:17 AM
this is a really neat and grimey place!

windowlicker
04-19-2002, 01:49 PM
Looks great! Nice mood in your images! :)

Have you tried converting that scene into a map for a game, say HalfLife? It would be sweet to compare the MAX-images with real in-game shots!

diazgl
04-19-2002, 06:02 PM
you have a very nice touch to it, but I feel there is something I gotta crit. If you wanna crash into the game business, try to think more of the games that will come out in a year or so. I mean, these renders could look like from a 1st person shooter say. Try imagining that you are walking in these streets. The detail you are getting is very small, and would look like older games, like Kingpin. Try playing any of these new games for PS2 (eg Devil May Cry, you will see what i'm talking about) to get an idea of the detail available. When in-game, the player wants to see stunning detail, but the machine needs to keep it low-poly. Now, in your seen, you got a fairly OK polygon count, but the close-up detail is not as much. Your cathedral looks very nice on the other hand, though it could use a bit more touch.

Oh, and your texturing is DAMN nice. Wish I could texture like dat.

M4Dn355
04-20-2002, 06:58 AM
Got q3ut? Lol it looks like a map from q3ut :) It looks good though, nice textures and clean design

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.