PDA

View Full Version : polypainting and uvws in 3ds or maya etc program

Boomstickbum
03-06-2008, 12:27 AM
im a noob at textureing but i have tryed unrwaping and wraping uvws in 3ds max and was woundering. If i have a obj in zbrush and polypaint it in zbrush would the texture uvws transfewr over to other programs. I havent tryed polypainting yet but read some tuts on it and was woundering do i need to still wrap the textures in the other programs or is there a way to import it into other programs whith the textures still on. also do i need to unwrap the obj in another program to wrap the texture. i read some were cant rember were but that polypaint sorta of helps the prossces of uvw unwrap and wrap sry if my question sorta confuseing i noob and just looking for some insight on how polypainting works with other programs.

Boomstickbum
03-07-2008, 06:37 AM
need insight do i need to unwrap uvws if i polypaint if not plz let me know yalls work flow

hakanpersson
03-07-2008, 10:20 AM
With scripting skills, you could probably write your own exporter that exports the mesh with polypainting. But since polypainting means that you change the color of each face, It would become horribly heavy for any other 3d app.

->Polypainting has to be converted to texture. For this you will need uv coordinates.

Any Uvs would do. A proper layout in max/maya etc, or any cheap automatic method.
And AUVtiles and GUVtiles in the texture tab in zbrush are specially great for polypainting, basically each face gets a pixel (if the texture size is enough), and conversion will be lossless. But if you want to continue your painting in photoshop, a regular proper uv layout is to prefer.

Boomstickbum
03-07-2008, 05:53 PM
thxs a lot that help out

csprance
03-13-2008, 01:32 AM
basically how polypainting helps you with the uvs is that fact that you can worry about uvs very last and just focus on the model and than painting it. because you don't need uvs to polypaint than after you have the texture export your model uv map it import it back into zbrush and hit the color to texture button and it maps the color onto an image.

CGTalk Moderation
03-13-2008, 01:32 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.