PDA

View Full Version : Do I really need a S-PVA panel?

lukasdesign
03-05-2008, 01:27 PM
I need a new monitor.
I was shure that it has to be a s-PVA panel but I have more and more doubts.

At work I have a HP2065 S-PVA panel on DVI, I like the colors a lot, but I wonder if A NEC or EIZO TN panel would be any worse than that screen?

I NEVER bring files to professional printing, I'm rendering, animating with Maya, I do some Photoshop works, some Presentations in InDesign. I work alone so the viewing angle has no importance to me, is that correct? Or influences this while using such a big screen?
But I also like to play games...

I would like to buy a Eizo 24" or NEC 24", NEC is much cheaper, but what's about the quality differences?
The price differences between the PVA and TN panels are big

Srek
03-05-2008, 07:36 PM
I use a PVA panel at work and a TN at home. There are difference i note, but nothing breathtaking, i don'T even notice them until i realy start looking for it hard.
Cheers
Björn

lukasdesign
03-06-2008, 09:30 AM
anyone can tell me if a NEC display wil do the job or if I should go for EIZO?
Let's assume I take a TN from one of those mentioned companies.

thanks a lot,

ajcgi
03-06-2008, 10:56 AM
If you're going for TN, NEC will more than suffice. My impression of Eizo is that they aim for higher quality... do they even do TN?
I have TN at work and S-PVA at home. Most of the time I like this TN, but it's when looking at the same work on my S-PVA that I notice how more punchy the colours are and better the contrast is.
Day to day TN is fine for non-colour specific work.

lukasdesign
03-06-2008, 05:08 PM
you are also using for games, videos etc?
If yes how does it behave?
Yes EIZO does a 24" Tn (Flexscan2401W) it is priced like the NEC 24" s-PVA.
Should I consider also Samsung?

ajcgi
03-06-2008, 05:30 PM
I would. I own one :thumbsup: Yup I play games and watch videos, dvds etc. I rarely notice any motion smearing. In fact it took me months to spot it. I have the Samsung 244t , which is now superseded by the 245t which is even better colour, viewing angles etc. I highly recommend it. I've heard good things about the Benq and NEC 24" ones too.

Vall
03-06-2008, 08:40 PM
If this will help..

I was strugling long for my new LCD screen mainly for my low budged (I'm a student). I looked at many screens, TN, PVA/MVA or S-IPS and I decided it has to be PVA or IPS. The colors were just much more richer and natural. There was also some shading and blocking on very smooth gradients with TN LCDs. Of course it depends on the model but generally the rule is: "the more you pay the better your LCD will be". I decided I'll buy a smaller LCD but with PVA instead of a bigger TN. And I'm a very, very happy owner of EIZO Flexscan S1931. The other one on my eye was NEC 1990Xi (or similiar codename on a PVA matrix).

I wouldn't change it to any other TN screen, (I haven't found one I liked more) even if it was 22". So my advice is:

Go for PVA, gather up a little more money and buy a better LCD, it's a purchase for years (probably). And the best thing to do would be to go to a local store and look on TN next to a PVA. You'll see the difference (if not take the TN ;)).

Cheers!

BlueTide
03-07-2008, 05:26 AM
I have the Samsung 244t , which is now superseded by the 245t which is even better colour, viewing angles etc.

In case you are interested about 245t, I just brought one home yesterday. I can run a few test if you like to see how it calibrates and whatnot. As of now I can't yet say anything except that it turns on properly and that it has got some rather good reviews.

lukasdesign
03-07-2008, 10:09 AM
but it's price is around the EIZO 2431 s-PVA panel.
looks like I will go for a s-PVA. I will compare 245t/Flexscan2431 to the NEC ones as they are quite a bit cheaper.

xLonewolfx
07-16-2008, 03:32 PM
nm*

CGTalk Moderation
07-16-2008, 03:32 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.