PDA

View Full Version : Outpost Challenge -> from 2D plate to 3D?

Dalaran AW
05-05-2003, 11:33 AM
Hello there,

I saw the awsome challenges, and I was blown away by it. (Outpost Challenges -> VFX )
Now I have a question regarding the plates and camera motion.

- How did they manage to get a 3D environement of a 2D image ?

I saw that they first had a 2D Bg. plate and from there they created a 3D environemt. Did they texture it with a special technique?

Can somebody explain this...? :blush:

Greetz,
Dalaran AW

xeno
05-05-2003, 06:56 PM
They "remake" the surface in 3D, basically like folding a (NURBS) surface "around" the image, with as many details as possible, and then they have the shadow catchers as well as a base to place the 3d models in

Dalaran AW
05-05-2003, 11:07 PM
Okee...

So correct me if i am wrong.

Just from looking at the picture, you rebuild in 3D. Then you cut your plate in seperate textures, to texure the 3D environement? Or just put the whole plate directly on the entire model? I am sorry, but it still not clear to me... :shrug:

Thanx,
Dalaran AW

Dalaran AW
05-06-2003, 02:31 PM
Okee...

I found out that the technique is called "Camera Projection". Can somebody explain this, or tell me where I can find a tutorial for Maya, on Camera Projection ?

Thanx,
Dalaran AW

izzylong
05-06-2003, 04:27 PM
Check the docs for Camera Projection.

It's in there:)

ndog
05-07-2003, 05:12 AM
dvgarage has a camera mapping lab for $99 bucks, kinda pricey if you aren't real serious about it.

http://www.dvgarage.com/market/product/product.php?prod=maplab

xeno
05-08-2003, 07:55 PM
Actually u dont even touch the textures at all, ur landscape, or whatever it is that ur mapping, consists of just the nurb surface. In that case the surface is the shadowcatcher, shadows can be cast on the surface, but the surface itself isnt seen.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.