PDA

View Full Version : "Make material Local" effecting Hierarchy

foxco
03-04-2008, 05:31 PM
Hi all

When I run the make material local command on a parent it runs the operation on all its children too! I Have 200 objects and 10 materials between them but when i wanted to make a one-off material to a parent of 50+ objects I all of a sudden had 50+ new materials :).

Does anyone know how to fix this or have a good work around?

Thanks

Chad

Stoehr
03-05-2008, 06:03 PM
The order of overrides is:

scene --> branch --> local --> group --> layer --> partition

Sounds like your original material is applied as a branch, so I'd recommend using groups to control large amounts of same materials.

foxco
03-05-2008, 06:54 PM
Thanks Stoehr,

I have taken a moment to test Branching materials and applying individually, but no mater what, all children(with same materials or completely different materials) are still making their materials local when the operation is run on the parent. I have also made a new scene and tested it, still the same problem, maybe I need a reinstall. :)

Chad

tc
03-05-2008, 06:57 PM
weird.. it doesnt happen to me. How did you applied the material?

What happen if you click on the material icon and say "yes make it a local copy first"?
Another thing is the material manager.. it shows a "who uses" tab which is pretty cool to check this kind of thing...

ThE_JacO
03-06-2008, 08:47 AM
haven't tested it yet, but as a workaround have you considered breaking the hierarchy before running the command and than re-creating it? Less than ideal, but better than impossibility.

foxco
03-06-2008, 01:43 PM
Thanks for the suggestions guys, my work around has been to have a small sphere in the camera view at all times, I assign the parent's material to the sphere, make that local and then assign the new local material to the parent. Works fine this way.

I have tested this xsi 6.5 problem at home and on other machines at work with the same results, starting to think its a bug.

Cheers
Chad

tc
03-07-2008, 06:30 AM
If it's a bug it's really weird because I don't see this here... and I tried pretty much everything with materials lately... in project where I had to use a lot of shared materials and branching..

Anyway.. if you find it try to contact support at softimage.com and let them know about it.

CGTalk Moderation
03-07-2008, 06:30 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.