PDA

View Full Version : printing to center of page problem

Ayreon
05-05-2003, 09:44 AM
Hello everyone!
I'm trying to print an image to the center of the paper. The image is 9.42 cm by 13.9 cm, so it should fit on an A4 size paper. When I print this image it's not centered on the page, no matter what I try. I've done several test prints, scaling to fit page, making sure center image is checked. I've even tried rpinting from other programs, like Infranview, but nothing I do helps, the image is always printed wrong, it's positioned a few cm's below the center. Does anybody know what I can do to get the image printed to the exact center of the paper?
Thanks for any help you can give me, it's driving me insane and I have to show it to a client tomorrow. I normaly don't work for print, so I'm a complete newbie to this whole printing thing :D

Ayreon

singularity2006
05-05-2003, 09:53 AM
what printer are u using? In some cases, this is because the borders of the printing area are not all equal. In some cases, the bottom border is thicker than the others, offsetting the centering of the print. Try re-adjusting the page layout and borders to be all equal and that should do it. If all else fails, cut the page. =D not that hard.

oh yeah, if u want the cleanest cut (some people don't know this while others do, so I'll share), get a ruler and a knife and slice the page as opposed to using scissors. Have fun. :beer:

Ayreon
05-05-2003, 10:08 AM
singularity2006: thanks for your quick responce. I'm using a HP deskjet 3420, it's a little cheap printer, but quality is great. And it's only use for test prints. I guess the biggest problem is that the client want's to be able to print this image on her own pc. It's a brochure and she wnat to be able to print them when she needs them. It needs to be centered perfect because after pinting it's folded through the middle, forming sort of a booklet. I always thought a picture could be printed to the center of the page easily, guess I was wrong.
I'll check the borders, but I'm guessing if she's using another program for printing and another printer, this could still go wrong:shrug:

Ayreon

Ayreon
05-05-2003, 10:34 AM
Man, I just cannot get this to work. :thumbsdow I've even installed new printer drivers, but nothing helps. I mean, how hard can it be to print an image at the center of a page. Is there a program that can help with this, something like printshop or something? Or is it just my printer?

Ayreon

Snich
05-05-2003, 03:57 PM
From what you describedl, I don't know if it really matters if you get it centered or not. If your client is using this graphic in a brochure, then she'll be importing it into whatever layout program she's using. The centering will be done by her software, so you're off the hook! Otherwise, like Singularity said, check your top and bottom margins and make sure they're not interfering. Maybe, import your graphic into a Word document within a text box, then you can move the text box up and down to get the image centered. Assuming you have Word that is. :shrug: Sorry if this doesn't help much.

Ayreon
05-05-2003, 04:34 PM
Snich: Thanks for your responce!
Problem is that this client doesn't know anything about computers. I even had to show her how Word works. She has XP and if you click an image file some vimage viewing program jsut start, it's integrated in XP. From there she just wants to hit the print button, and everything should work as she expects. I've got it working on my pc and printer. I hope that it will work on her computer:surprised

Ayreon

singularity2006
05-06-2003, 07:23 AM
oh yeah, some printers, older ones, are just flat out gEYYYYY!!! Try adjusting the image itself to make up for how much it is offset. If it prints but has part of it chopped off at the edge, then ur printer simply cannot print beyond that range. That is also one thing u can try.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.