PDA

View Full Version : First thoughts on Messiah 3..?

StOuen
03-04-2008, 11:44 AM
Ok guys so whats the verdict on Messiah 3? What new features are rocking your world?

Ulven
03-04-2008, 12:28 PM
Fast, smooth GI and Fur are probably highest on my list.

MoodyB
03-04-2008, 06:01 PM
The big GI improvments for me. Fur is also very nice, esp considering it's free atm :) I'd also add instancing, as it'll save me quite a bit of memory on the project I'm updating in v3.

lanosrep1
03-04-2008, 06:18 PM
Same as above..GI.. nice!

Check out the new Ramp shader and Vernoia (SP?) along with the improvments in Noisette. The distort feature in Noisette is crazy good. Makes procedurals look so organic..

Compare the quality of the gradient you can make with the Ramp.. so smooth.. no stepping.. combine multiple Ramps for lots of things

G.

Zimtower
03-04-2008, 06:49 PM
I was wondering if anyone else had this problem. When you have a PNG texture saved with microsoft paint, these textures crash messiah. I spent an hour trying to figure out what was crashing my lightwave/messiah setup, when I resaved the textures in photoshop it loaded fine in both lightwave and in messiah. I would like to know what would be causing this because I use microsoft paint a lot when converting textures.

StOuen
03-05-2008, 09:37 AM
Thanks guys. Sounds like mostly render and texturing improvements then? <not forgetting fur!>

MoodyB
03-05-2008, 09:46 AM
Ulven posted a list here of the improvements / changes :

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=92&t=600631

StOuen
03-05-2008, 11:57 AM
Thanks ALan / Ulven.

Looks like the fully mappable keys and edit sphere improvements float my boat!

Tama
03-05-2008, 04:40 PM
I'm no heavyweight messiah user and my animation skills aren't stellar.
Prior to this version of messiah and due mostly to the render anamolies and lack of a fur option I've avoided getting very familiar with it and have waited for things to improve.

I can honestly report that I'm quite pleased so far with my upgrade investment to rev3.
I've found the 64 bit version to be very stable and quick on my 2.2ghz dual core.
The renderer is improved, seems speedier and renders just look nicer overall.
It now handles 5 point polys well( yes!) although tri polys are still not supported.
The new fur renders surprisingly fast as well.
Oh, and the edit sphere is very handy and now getting items manipulated isn't
the chore it used to be for me at least.

Meesiah3 is a significant revision and big congrats to the pmg team for keeping at it
and delivering.

lanosrep1
03-05-2008, 05:20 PM
Lets see some renders folks!.. I'm working on some as well.. :)

I'm no heavyweight messiah user and my animation skills aren't stellar.
Prior to this version of messiah and due mostly to the render anamolies and lack of a fur option I've avoided getting very familiar with it and have waited for things to improve.

I can honestly report that I'm quite pleased so far with my upgrade investment to rev3.
I've found the 64 bit version to be very stable and quick on my 2.2ghz dual core.
The renderer is improved, seems speedier and renders just look nicer overall.
It now handles 5 point polys well( yes!) although tri polys are still not supported.
The new fur renders surprisingly fast as well.
Oh, and the edit sphere is very handy and now getting items manipulated isn't
the chore it used to be for me at least.

Meesiah3 is a significant revision and big congrats to the pmg team for keeping at it
and delivering.

lanosrep1
03-05-2008, 06:05 PM
Yes.. me too.. OK.. So it seems that when you select the middle of the edit sphere.. it automagically goes into screen coordinates mode... is that how you all see it too?.. Seems to work better when using the keyboard shortcut for toggle between motion, rotation and scale. sometimes when i try to select the middle it does not behave the same way.. (in other words, does not always go into screen corrids mode).

Thanks ALan / Ulven.

Looks like the fully mappable keys and edit sphere improvements float my boat!

rago
03-05-2008, 06:51 PM
I generally use Messiah for render purpose, since I'm a designer, I chose it because it gives me an inexpensive yet valid rendering, plus animation, package for my product design, and interior visualization.
Messiah 3 handles way better noise reduction and is quite faster, I'm using the 32bit version for now, but it still has a crash problem, at least on my computers, when in Hybrid GI mode.
Is it the same for you?

I'll post some renders as soon as I have some decent ones to showcase.

Zimtower
03-06-2008, 06:25 AM
Ok, this has pissed me off for about 6 hours but I finally figured it out. Messiah does NOT like 1 point polygons so if its crashing on you for no reason, i suggest going into your modeler and cleaning 1 pt polygons out with the edge tool. There should be some warning about 1 pt polygons or have messiah give warnings about model incompatability to prevent your models from crashing your entire project. Anyhow, I cant wait to start animating messiah 3 :D

lanosrep1
03-06-2008, 04:48 PM
After working more with this version more, I am seeing a dramatic improvement in the worldview navigation speed!. Rotation and general movement in the viewport has always seemed a little awkward in the past and kind of reminded me of the old days in LW where rotating in one direction was way slower.. (for those of you that remember dealing with that).

This version seems so much more responsive.. Others that I talked to in the past about this issue did not always seem to have the problem.. so your results may vary ;)

This makes a huge difference IMHO.. I have been told it is a result of the work done on the edit sphere.. and changes made to accomodate it.. KUDOS.. BIG TIME!

Makes animating so much more fun!

G.

lanosrep1
03-06-2008, 04:55 PM
I have the same problem with single point polys in ZBrush.. really need to eliminate them... very easy for them to crop up when building a model.. using spin quads.(In LW for example). This has bit me in the butt several times.. Gotta get rid of those suckers :)

Ok, this has pissed me off for about 6 hours but I finally figured it out. Messiah does NOT like 1 point polygons so if its crashing on you for no reason, i suggest going into your modeler and cleaning 1 pt polygons out with the edge tool. There should be some warning about 1 pt polygons or have messiah give warnings about model incompatability to prevent your models from crashing your entire project. Anyhow, I cant wait to start animating messiah 3 :D

Tama
03-06-2008, 05:21 PM

Not sure why you'd need to have one point polys within your model to be begin with.
Did you leave them there intentionally?

Zimtower
03-06-2008, 10:55 PM
I never knew they existed in my models until I saw random points in the mesh. I went through my model conversion process about 8 times and then I saw the option of save 1pt polygons in the merge points tool I use in my conversion from milkshape. I stop checking that defaulted checkbox and now everything loads like it should but now I need to fix all my models for use in Messiah >.<

lanosrep1
03-08-2008, 12:21 AM
The camera settings have been enhanced.. Significantly ! :)

We now have a Camera Type settings pulldown, which provides for Lens Compensation\Panoramic\Panoramic Stereo

Very cool...

Most used will likely be the Compensation.. Very helpful especially when using wide angle zooms. What this means is that you will no longer get renders where a ball looks like an egg because of the lens setting.. This corrects for that.

Can't wait to try panoramic renders...

G.

dborruso
03-08-2008, 09:51 PM
I am new to messiah with messiah 3 and am learning it very fast. I tried out messiah last year, well I actually bought it then a few weeks later ran into some money trouble and sold the license. So I have used the interface very briefly in the past. But now I am really getting into it and really enjoying it. I find it a very good compliment to my truespace software Which I modeled my first messiah character with and made my morph targets with. I just finished rigging him with autorigger and weighting him and making a facial rig following joe cosman's rigging tutorial. I also added the morphs. Some things confused me at first but as I am going I am finding the software easy to use. I even did some expressions. Messiah 3 is stable mostly except once in a while it crashes randomly at load scene when there is another scene already open. But it is rare and not too bad a bug.

So It is rockin my world!

lanosrep1
03-09-2008, 01:56 AM
Welcome aboard!! Sounds like you are diving in, and using the best resources to help speed your progress :) Hope to see an example of your work in the Messiah V.3 Gallery thread!

I am new to messiah with messiah 3 and am learning it very fast. I tried out messiah last year, well I actually bought it then a few weeks later ran into some money trouble and sold the license. So I have used the interface very briefly in the past. But now I am really getting into it and really enjoying it. I find it a very good compliment to my truespace software Which I modeled my first messiah character with and made my morph targets with. I just finished rigging him with autorigger and weighting him and making a facial rig following joe cosman's rigging tutorial. I also added the morphs. Some things confused me at first but as I am going I am finding the software easy to use. I even did some expressions. Messiah 3 is stable mostly except once in a while it crashes randomly at load scene when there is another scene already open. But it is rare and not too bad a bug.

So It is rockin my world!

chikega
05-27-2008, 03:41 AM
I just upgraded to messiah 3 this past weekend. Looks like a lot of nice additions. Unfortunately still seeing some of the same few problems from previous versions.

1) Mesh tears when displacing objects with tri polys. Have to make sure mesh is completely quad based.

2) Rendering artifacts are still noted at five-star intersections especially with SSS and, yes, this is with Pregenerated Polys at even a Sublevel of 20!

I've found that Subdividing the mesh in a modeler seems to help with both problems above. My thought is that the renderer should handle this internally or one will have to make sure and switch out objects for the denser ones before rendering.

Still exploring though ... it's been a while ... :)

CGTalk Moderation
05-27-2008, 03:41 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.