PDA

View Full Version : Slideable keyframe solutions?

Russsssman
03-03-2008, 06:50 PM
This is relevant to any of the particles in Max. Does anyone have a solution for moving keyframes controlling all of the parameters of a particle system? This has been plaguing our project from the beginning. It gets worse that we're using Gamebryo and need to slide to parameters of that too (Start, End, Visible til, System Start, System end, etc). It is a real drag on our development time when we change how something is done and have to manually go into thousands of particle systems and change each number and worse... We have to do MATH! Slideable keyframes just like in animation would be gold. We'll pay someone even if they write a plugin. Bring me whacha got.

charleyc
03-03-2008, 08:29 PM
Can you elaborate on what a slideable keyframe is? I am not certain how particle keyframes differ from any other animated keyframes.

Russsssman
03-03-2008, 09:18 PM
There's no difference. To keep it simple in Max you cannot set emmitance "Start" or "end" parameters as a keyable option. It just not an option. I want to be able to control those among other things in particles as a key that I can slide when I want to change the time it starts. I want to be able to drag that key to that time. You can do it with Size and most of the other parameters, but I haven't found a way to move those other parameters.

charleyc
03-03-2008, 09:56 PM
There are a number of ways to control particle emittence without keyframing the Emit time. The easiest is to use a Rate instead of an Amount and Keyframe that. If you set your curves to Step, you can control this with single keyframes for start and end. You can use a script controller to link the Emit Start and Stop times to another object. Or you can just script the update for all the particle systems. Or, while not specifically dealing with Emit Start/Stop, you can use PF for what it was made to do. Birth your particles at frame 0 (or whatever) then use a Test (like Collision) to initiate them passing into a new event where they perform whatever you need. The idea behind Particle Flow makes it very flexible to handle just such needs.

Russsssman
03-03-2008, 10:12 PM
Ah man That would have been close to my solution. Unfortunately I didn't give all the details. Since I'm in game development the engine we're using is Gamebryo. Gamebryo only imports certain parameters and disregards others. I'm fairly certain this will be one of those, but I'm going to try it anyways. Cheers to you though bro for quite a creative solution. I just hope it actually works.

Russsssman
03-03-2008, 10:21 PM
CharlyNYC your brilliant bro. That's the most roundabout, but actually obvious way to do that ever. I never assumed gamebryo would import the "Rate" animation. It sure worked man. I owe ya one.

charleyc
03-03-2008, 10:22 PM
Good to hear.

CGTalk Moderation
03-03-2008, 10:22 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.