PDA

View Full Version : MoCap with Maya Live

thrive3
03-03-2008, 07:22 AM
Hi all, I'm relatively new to maya but I have a version of 2008 version with maya live. I've read the interview with the FX leader for pirates of the carribean and from what I can tell they used only 3 cameras a set angles to triangulate the positions of tracked points and create motion capture data from this. I also see that a piece of software called movimento does something similar.

What I'm wondering is if I can use maya Live to track the same point from multiple camera angles and then use that motion data with some mel or python script to triangulate for the positions in 3d.

it seems like such a waist of maya lives motion tracking to not be able to do so. However, any comments or suggestions like "this is just stupid and here's why" are entirely welcome.

Thanks

earlyworm
03-03-2008, 11:08 PM
This is done quite often and requires at least two cameras - one the 'hero' camera shooting the scene and the other a 'witness' or 'survey' camera which shoots the scene from another angle. Both cameras are matchmoved, or lined up in the case of the witness camera which is normally a static angle, the points are then either tracked or rotomated from both cameras which is how the 3D position of each track is calculated.

I'm not sure it's entirely possible to do this with Maya Live straight out of the box, I don't think that the solver is really up to the task - if someone knows different, feel free to chime in.

The first thing I'd suggest is to try doing this process by hand (rotomation) first to see how the concept works. Then you can try work out how to take the tracking data from two different cameras and use it to calculate the intersection of those two 2D coordinates in 3D space.

For the curious, Rotomation (aka Matchamation) is the process of animating a character by lining up the character with filmed footage.

thrive3
03-06-2008, 06:10 PM
I know some basic C and I believe I could make a program that would compute the 3d position of a point based on two sets of 2D cordinates and the distance and angle between the references. I'm looking at MEL and it looks like the structure of the commands is very similar (except a few parts ). I'm wondering if there is a way with MEL to access the 2D tracking points for the points in maya Live.

CGTalk Moderation
03-06-2008, 06:10 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.