PDA

View Full Version : Who is going?

PaulHellard
03-03-2008, 05:17 AM
Who plans to go to the ADAPT 2008 in September?

Stay tuned here for speakers, locations and other tidbits.

erilaz
03-03-2008, 09:19 AM
When I know who's presenting, i'll make a decision. :D

jgoldfin
03-07-2008, 05:42 PM
I just had lunch with the organizers, who told me I could mention the date of the 2008 conference - but that's it! :)

Stay tuned for more information..

September 22-26, 2008 - Montreal, PQ

This is really turning into an event not to be missed - Softimage is looking very forward to participating again!

Hope to see you there -

jen

Canadianboy
03-07-2008, 07:53 PM
Hey guys im going to be in montreal at the time so I might attend. Is there any rules or anything on who can attend. Im not a professional or anything but will be in a few years hopefully.

Incarnadine
03-07-2008, 09:50 PM
I was there last year and had a wonderful time. It's also the week of my brthday so maybe I'll give myself a treat again.

ShadowM8
03-08-2008, 06:32 PM
I attended both years so far and it's been a blast and I'm planning to go this year again!

JeanCharlesGingras
03-08-2008, 10:57 PM
I went last year and it was a great first experience...I'm definetely going back this september and taking the masters program this time! Great place to learn new stuff...have a good time...and get free stuff =D

Rebeccak
03-13-2008, 08:09 PM
Can anyone discuss why this event is useful for them and what they got out of the conference?

Incarnadine
03-14-2008, 03:55 PM
For me, as a serious hobby artist working primarily in CG, I found the presentations both inspirational (as in inspired to try this, that and the other thing in my own work as well as give me a target as to where someday to aspire to) and educational (new ideas for techniques as well as what goes on behind the scenes in commercial CG work).

It was also very useful in meeting many of the local players and becoming aware of what is going on in this area.

I also got the chance to persoanlly thank Syd Mead for the inspiration his works gave me both as an engineer and as an artist - that was cool.
As a discalimer - I do not expect to take a career in this area as I am currently happily employed in a senior engineering position in one of the major helicopter manufacturers.

ShadowM8
03-15-2008, 07:39 PM
I like the fact that this event is entirely focused around lectures, and with 3 lectures per day it will keep you busy. It has a good mix of presenters from all sorts of disciplines which helps keep things fresh and interesting for everyone attending. The special feature presentations are fantastic as well. The atmosphere is really laid back and friendly which makes it ideal to mingle with your local colleagues and for a quick chat with the guests.
For me overall this event is primarily inspirational, seeing and listening to what is the latest and greatest always gives you a nice boost for the winter months ahead. I do however whish for a few more technically inclined lectures but perhaps this isn't the right venue for it.

Rebeccak
03-16-2008, 07:55 AM
Incarnadine and ShadowM8, thanks for the replies. :)

Canadianboy
03-16-2008, 08:23 PM
when the time comes maybe we can all meet up before we head over there or something. I wont know anyone there as none of my friends are interested in 3d lol so it would be great if I could tag along with some of you guys. Im moving back to Montreal in a few weeks also so it would be awesome to meet some locals!

Incarnadine
03-16-2008, 08:26 PM
That's a possibility.

animation-angel
03-18-2008, 09:29 PM
Ya I also attended both years. It was awesome. I would hope that Ian McCaig would speak for 2008. I missed him the first year and he was not attending 2007.

I can't wait to see the list for Adapt 2008

megalmn2000
03-20-2008, 02:09 AM
One of the organizer went to my school for presenting the 2007's. I've planned to go there as a volunteer but it was too late. But this year, I'll try to go there!

shauii
03-27-2008, 09:33 PM
hey

What's going to be in this event? Im just starting up 3D and would love to go if it can benefit me ( learning wise. )

Stahlberg
04-02-2008, 05:40 PM
I'm going. Never been before, from what I hear it should be lots of fun. :)

Houkah
04-04-2008, 03:10 PM
I'm planning to go this year depending on the presentations.

dude5487
04-06-2008, 11:43 PM
I would really like to attend. I am a current resident of the United States though and ADAPT is in Canada. How difficult would it be for me to be able to go?

Houkah
04-07-2008, 12:33 PM
It's just like visiting any other country. Easy as long as you have a passport.

dmak
04-10-2008, 04:54 PM
Just remember to ad "ay" to the end of every word and you'll do fine. But seriously, it's just a passport away, make sure to get that taken care of two months before the trip (now would be a good time). Getting your passport quickly isn't very common.

Any news when a schedule might be coming out?

Intervain
04-18-2008, 02:45 PM
For me the master classes were great, especially the 2D ones. Great isight into the workflow of the artists presenting!

bentllama
06-17-2008, 10:47 PM
i may make it out there this year

henes
06-18-2008, 10:35 AM
i ve been saving for this event for a long time , i m waiting for the registration to open on (www.adaptmontreal.com) but still nothing & on this other link (http://www.adaptconference.com/flash/ ) i can't find anyway to contact them for the visa.

any advise because it take time to get a visa and plane tickets etc...
i m really looking forward for this experince ...

SheepFactory
06-18-2008, 09:40 PM
Missed it last year but I am hoping I can make it this year.

stroggtank
06-20-2008, 03:50 AM
I also missed the conference last year. It would be cool to meet some of you there guys, ive never been in Canada, always want to be there, so it is also a good chance to take part as a tourist too :)

anyone knows if there would be any trip-hotel-conf-package or something to international attenders? you know... to skip the hotel-search headache and stuff... (it would be easier for me, i easily get lost in my own town :)

thanks!

Carlos

jlelievre
06-22-2008, 11:38 PM
I'm really looking forward to this as it will be my first time there; and the lineup of speakers is looking pretty solid.

henes: I don't think you have to worry about any visa issues. Coming into Canada with a tourists visa should be no problem as long as you have your passport with you. You fly into Canada, go through customs and that should be it. It's pretty much the same as traveling to any other country; as long as one has a clean criminal record you shouldn't incur any problems. :)

henes
06-26-2008, 09:10 AM
Intrinsia: Thanks for th reply . i must get the visa from the embessy here i can't just fly to canada this the policy here ... (or the policy between canada & egypt ) ..

about this other link , is it an official site or i must wait till they open the registration on www.adaptmontreal.com ,,

Info-red
07-08-2008, 08:01 AM
wow - //ADAPT has launched a brand new website @ www.adaptconference.com (http://www.adaptconference.com/) and it looks awesome!!!

This site and lineup looks amazing and I can't wait to be there this year!
Anyone else going to be there?

-Info

Bartek|3D
07-08-2008, 12:54 PM
Time to register! :D

http://www.adaptconference.com

Smithers1
07-08-2008, 03:41 PM
so the new site is up, nice, and they are officially selling tickets now for an event in 2 months ? seems a little late. but then again, last year they were giving tickets away for free pretty much to anybody that said they knew some of the organizers. I know i got in for free that way. If you want to go, i suggest you do because they more than likely won't be around next year.

Bartek|3D
07-08-2008, 03:50 PM
so the new site is up, nice, and they are officially selling tickets now for an event in 2 months ? seems a little late. but then again, last year they were giving tickets away for free pretty much to anybody that said they knew some of the organizers. I know i got in for free that way. If you want to go, i suggest you do because they more than likely won't be around next year.

:curious: interesting :P

Info-red
07-08-2008, 04:07 PM
wow site is awesome... and content looks sweet!

- Bartek you going to //ADAPT?

I'll be paying my ticket unlike Smithers who apparently is "special" .... Hey Smithers - know the loto 6/49 numbers for next week please? Need some quick cash! :P

Bartek|3D
07-08-2008, 04:15 PM
wow site is awesome... and content looks sweet!

- Bartek you going to //ADAPT?

I'll be paying my ticket unlike Smithers who apparently is "special" .... Hey Smithers - know the loto 6/49 numbers for next week please? Need some quick cash! :P

Lol.
Perhaps, I still have to see what my schedule will be like this year :)

Incarnadine
07-09-2008, 02:25 AM
I'm holding on to see who the speakers will be and the schedule. They don't seem to be posted yet. Need to be soon. It's basically to determine whether it'll be the full ticket or a master's one.

Incarnadine
07-09-2008, 02:41 AM
Bartek, hope your schedule permits, it's always cool to see people who are local and into the fun of CG.

Incarnadine
07-09-2008, 11:01 AM
The speakers list is up and looks interesting to me. Probably going to take the full ticket again this year.

ShadowM8
07-09-2008, 05:28 PM
Speakers list looks cool, I like the larger presence of studios this year.
I hope I can make it out but I doubt it. I really don't understand why on earth do they make it a month after Siggraph? Who can attend 2 week long conferences in such a short time? They lose business just because of their schedule :(

Houkah
07-17-2008, 05:32 PM
I like the speakers and the smaller size so i'm going this year (instead of siggraph).

RaeTracer
07-17-2008, 07:34 PM
Speakers list looks cool, I like the larger presence of studios this year.
I hope I can make it out but I doubt it. I really don't understand why on earth do they make it a month after Siggraph? Who can attend 2 week long conferences in such a short time? They lose business just because of their schedule :(

True, it's tough to convince my employers to send me to the conf because "they just paid for Siggraph." But living in Vermont now, it's only two hours away so I may just go on my own! Like everyone else, waiting to see the lineup of speakers.

tonychancg
07-26-2008, 03:33 PM
i don't know u talk about

Waz
07-30-2008, 02:54 AM
I'm planning on going now, looking forward to visiting Montreal. I think I'm going to come a few days early and be a tourist for a bit as I've always wanted to visit the city and see some more of Eastern Canada. We are going to have to try and setup a CGTalk meet.

MurdokX
08-09-2008, 01:34 AM
I am going yay!

nickmarshallvfx
08-14-2008, 10:54 PM
Syd Mead, Craig Mullins AND Jonathan Harb? :drool:

Man i so wish i could go!! If this confrerence was held in summer i just might, but ill just have started my final year of my degree, so i wont be able to make it.... crying shame...

I hope the event is as great as it appears it will be!

Nick

Incarnadine
08-15-2008, 04:45 PM
I made my reservation finally, had to check the budget carefully as I just picked up the Cinema4D R11 upgrades... September is going to be a good time!

Matellis
08-19-2008, 03:16 AM
This conference should be great. I think I might have to go since I missed out on Massive Black when that was in montreal and I have been kicking myself in the ass ever since.

It would be great to meet up with some local cgtalkers. As someone else said I dont have any friends interesed in digital art so I will be flying solo. So if you see some guy latched onto Syd Meads leg with security guards beating the hell out of him its probably me, say hello!

Funds will probably be pretty tight too. Does anyone know of some cheap place close to the conference? Or anyone need a roomie for the trip to save some cash.

pm me :D

Cheers!

Sil 369
08-24-2008, 09:46 PM
Was the schedule removed? A few days ago I think it listed the day numbers, but now it says Coming Soon... ??

PainterPM
08-31-2008, 02:34 AM
Hi All,

Painter will be there and will be sponsoring the Artist Gallery. Look forward to seeing you all there!

Cheers,

Rob
Product Manager Corel Painter

A_Ghost
09-02-2008, 05:01 PM
I found the ADAPT conference inspiring last year. It was a good place to meet up with people of like minds, and see the tricks of the trade from everyone from Disney to ILM. Not to mention other great speakers like Syd Mead. Golden opportunity. The events and parties were well worth it - it gave a perfect avenue to meet the people who gave talks, including the ones you may have missed. If you have the chance - don't miss it this year.

henes
09-10-2008, 01:01 PM
finally this year i m going ... i m so excited :))))

Incarnadine
09-10-2008, 09:25 PM
A-Ghost, I believe we met there last year, and I do agree - it was a lot of fun. Going to be there again?

Heozart
09-13-2008, 05:38 AM
I just found out about this conference, and looks like I will be going. Sounds like everyone who's been there seems to have enjoyed it. Plus it is very hard to pass up the opportunity to see Craig Mullins. I don' know anybody that is going either, but would like to meet some CGTalk people.

I-NetGraFX
09-14-2008, 10:42 PM
Looking forward to this conference ... !

Heozart
09-15-2008, 08:37 PM
Is anyone still looking for accomodations? I just booked a double room with ensuite bathroom at HI-Montreal Hostel (http://www.hostellingmontreal.com/en/auberge_montreal.aspx) for 5 nights (Monday-Friday, Saturday departure.) It will come to about $400 after taxes, so if I can find a roomie, it will be $40 per person a night. From Google Earth, it looks to be about 10 blocks from the Pepsi Forum, so definitely within walking distance to the conference. If anyone is interested, please post or PM me. Thanks,

Wes

Andrew-Plumer
09-21-2008, 03:43 PM
Paul Hellard and I just hit town. It is quite a long trip from South Australia! Scott Stahley and Renee Dunlop get in later today. we will all be around for the whole week.

Waz
09-22-2008, 12:09 AM
I arrived Friday and have been having a great time checking out the sights of Montreal. What a great city to spend a week in. Can't wait for Adapt to start tomorrow, I checked out the venue a little earlier and it is nice and close to where I'm staying. The Atwater Market is awesome...

Houkah
09-22-2008, 12:31 AM
I also got in today. Just walked around st. catherines and peel street a little looking in vain for a sports bar that played all the US football games. Glad to here the venue is nice, i'm looking forward to it. I believe tomorrow is strictly for registration with no lectures? I'm hoping to hit that atwater market tomorrow after registering.

PS - Great city. I was here around the same time last year and loved it. Good food, nice city to just walk around in, and everyone is super friendly.

PaulHellard
09-22-2008, 05:46 AM
Hi there,

The suspense is building over here in Montreal for the ADAPT conference, beginning tomorrow at the Pepsi AMC Forum. We visited the venue today and it is fitting together really well. Here is the link to the first pre-show diary page. This is where we will be posting all things related to this great boutique CG show.

Click through to here (http://features.cgsociety.org/adapt08/index.php#s4698) for full show diary coverage, growing as the week progresses.

Incarnadine
09-29-2008, 04:18 PM
Well, I had a great time. Lots of interesting speakers, some of whom gave me some fun ideas and inspirations (as well as trechnical insights!). Next year!

CGTalk Moderation
09-29-2008, 04:18 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.