PDA

View Full Version : Which Photoshop?

Russkiy
03-02-2008, 10:51 PM
Hey guys,

I'm currently working with PS 7.0 (I've had it for years.... lol), and I'm using 3.7 GHz P4 Dell XPS laptop with only 512MB of RAM. Now, PS7 works nicely for me. However, I was curious if it's worth switching to one of the newer version such as CS, CS2 or CS3. Do they offer enough options to consider switching to them? And how are the performance speeds?

~BK

mykhel
03-02-2008, 11:23 PM
That really is hard to say. It, of course. depends on your work. You won't be disappointed if you upgrade;, PS is an app that rarely disappoints, but if you are not doing any thing fancy, I would say the upgrade probably won't get you a whole lot. I found that MOST of the stuff I am doing in cs2 I also could have done in 7. A bit more work, maybe, but if you know your way around channels and selections, you'll get it done. It would help to know how you use PS, but I would say that if you have the spare cash, upgrade. I've always said that PS is an app that accomplishs just about everything it sets out to do. I'm sure you will be pleased with the upgrade.

I hth.

Russkiy
03-03-2008, 03:32 AM
Did it slow down your computer at all? Or it works at the same speed as older PS versions?

CgKumar
03-03-2008, 05:09 AM
Well i use photoshop 7.0,cs2 and cs3. We have it on three machines.

Ok i use 7.0 for a lot of language support and some errors and support is not yet out on the cs versions. But performace wise its a very good and stable release.

CS 2 - better brush and neater interface, some more nice tools. A good design upgrade. I mainly use this for the bulk of my work. Scripting and a whole lot more, so this is the best. Performace wise. Excellent on the Mac. Windows, better than other versions if you have alloted more ram to your photoshop.

CS3 - ok i run this on a laptop, well came as a package so i did not say no. I like the 3D stuff extended can do. Lots of features they have added. I am still exploring this one myself. I find the older interface better, as i keep looking for things relocated. Performace, quite bad i would say. Even with the ram, the stability on windows vista, is not that good. Makes me want to go back to CS2 and try other painting on 3D Software. But the video layers and animaitions are cool features they have added.

Kumar

Calegolas
03-03-2008, 04:46 PM
I have 1 gig of RAM an I found out that PS 3 is ~25% faster on startup than PS 2 Was. The Features you use most are the same in all versions from ps 7 to Ps 3.

Adobe added a lot of architectual stuff on PS 3 and posibilities to create mobile themes (I really do not need them).

Si i would Say you can Stick to PS 7 depending on what you need and then most likely older Program versions need less RAM.
I set my ram usage on CS 3 to about 450 MB. For texturemaps larger than 3k and a lot of layers (lets say 200) it can get busy and starts to need more time to think about applying transformations etc.
200 Layers are not that much when you vectorize Images.
But I found out that the image size is more of a problem than the Number of layers.

So PS 7 or CS 3 I would tend to recommend..

Hope that helped you a bit

CGTalk Moderation
03-03-2008, 04:46 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.