PDA

View Full Version : Help me make this brush

videogrfx
03-02-2008, 09:08 PM
I'm using Painter IX. I'd like a brush like this: A #6 rigger (in old school terminology) long, sable brush very handy for cartooning or watercolor painting. I'd like a very thin, tapering (not blunt ending) line when using a light touch and very heavy line with pressure. That's it. The closest I've come to it is thin to thick line but the thin portion tends to go transparent and grainy and that's not what I want. I want 100% saturation with a variable thickness. I've tried ink and every combination and just can't get this simple brush "look". Has anyone made a brush like this? Please walk me through how to do it as I've spent hours on it now and I'm getting frustrated.

Jinbrown
03-03-2008, 11:17 PM
Hi,

Try this:

NOTE: It'll be easier for you to see the effect of each brush control adjustment if you paint a brush stroke on a blank white Canvas before moving to the next brush control adjustment. Then, if this isn't exactly what you want, making these brush control adjustments should at least give you some ideas to work with.

1. Choose the Oils' Round Camelhair variant.

2. Restore it to its default settings (Brush Selector menu > Restore Default Variant).

3. Open the Brush Controls palettes. (Window > Brush Controls > General will open all of the Brush Controls palettes in a docked group.)

4. In the General palette, choose None from the Opacity Expression drop down list.

5. In the Size palette, adjust the Size slider as needed. Then move the Feature slider to 2.0 (this increases bristle density), or adjust as needed. See demo below:

http://www.pixelalley.com/brushes/feature_slider_Jins_ThckThn_Opq_RndCml.jpg

6. In the Well palette:

Move the Resaturation slider to 100%,
Change Resaturation Expression to None,
Move the Bleed slider to 0%,
Change Bleed Expression to None, and
Uncheck the Invert box to the right of the Bleed Expression drop down list.
7. Save your custom brush variant and give it a unique name not already used by Painter (Brush Selector menu > Save Variant).

8. Restore the Oils' Round Camelhair to its default settings (Brush Selector menu > Restore Default Variant).

Good luck!

#

videogrfx
03-04-2008, 09:27 PM
thanks so much Jin. I'll let you know how I make out.
Darrell

videogrfx
03-04-2008, 09:38 PM
Jin,
At first it looked great, but when tested on the illustration I've been working on, it lost all the great quality. No taper. No expression at all. Not sure what's going on. The resolution is the same on the drawing as well as the test canvas. Both at 100% size. Weird.

Jinbrown
03-07-2008, 10:43 PM
Hi,

Did you save your custom brush variant with a unique name not already used by Painter?

Then, after restoring the Round Camelhair variant to its default state, did you choose your custom brush variant?

If the answer is "no" to the first question, go back to the beginning of the steps I listed above and redo them.

If the answer is "yes" to the first question, make sure you choose your custom brush variant instead of the original, Round Camelhair variant.

Good luck!

#

CGTalk Moderation
03-07-2008, 10:43 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.