PDA

View Full Version : How can i make cartoon of this photo?

archlancer
03-02-2008, 10:43 AM
Hello guys,
Please download the sample from here:
http://rapidshare.com/files/96345514/works.rar.html

I am in big trouble. My client wanted to make his sister's picture into the "example of quality" type cartoon. But I gave him " sample". He is not happy with that. He wants that type of cartoon. But I am an 3d artist. I dont have good idea about which software to use this type of cartoon and how. Please help me

CybrGfx
03-02-2008, 03:15 PM
Photoshop does a decent enough job:
http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/9366/cartoonov8.jpg
You just need to simplify the photograph to a line drawing (Do a Web Search for "photoshop photo to lineart tutorial), and then use the Lasso Tool to create shapes of flat color for the shirt, face, and hair. The hair then needs some darker accent lines.

Now, I would point out to the client that the image you are supposed to emulate is one of a white woman with orange/red hair, while you are rendering a woman of color with black hair...I would also make sure that if you are being paid, you get paid MORE to make such a more complicated effect, because it will take more work on your part to make accents and highlights considering the color scheme you are dealing with.

archlancer
03-02-2008, 03:31 PM
Thank yo so much. I am now going to show my client this image. Actually the client is not an artist and its very difficult to make him understand. Do you know how to do that type of cartoon work ( example of quality.jpeg). Cartoon need not to look like the girl of the photo 100%. If you could tell me the way it would be surely accepted by the client. Thanks again.

BoBoZoBo
03-04-2008, 10:56 PM
Ask him if a car engineer should be designing boats or houses.
You do what you do.

With that being said. If 2D illustration is not your forte You either need to:

A) Advise your client that this is not what you do, or
B) Outsource it to someome who DOES do it well.

Never be afraid to say no to a client. Part of your job as a creative professional is to educate your client about what you do and do not do. If not you are going to have a lot of headaches and clients with misguided expectations.

CGTalk Moderation
03-04-2008, 10:56 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.