PDA

View Full Version : How to Calibrate Scanner/Monitor/Printer

Yorgo12345
05-04-2003, 08:56 PM
Hi everyone

I remember a little while ago I found a website selling a weird contraption that suction-cups to your monitor and takes color readings. With it, you could calibrate the colors of your scanner/monitor/printer. it also comes with a colorchart.

I'm not neccesarily interested in this particular product, but I'm hoping someone knows some way of calibrating all your devices to match each other and real world colors.

does anyone have any ideas?

singularity2006
05-05-2003, 01:54 AM
depending on hardware, u most likely will never be able to callibrate anything to real world colors.... that's probably impossible, at best. =D But you can get really close if u have really good hardware. I would start with the Adobe Gamma Loader wizard because that covers most of the screen callibration. Some printers are able to actually use the callibration file generated by Adobe Gamma Loader to callibrate itself, but sometimes is not necessary ... do a search on the forum for "color callibration" and you might find a few threads relating to that ... I remember us talking about that in the technical hardware forum a few times.

Marcel
05-07-2003, 09:10 AM
The monitor calibrators make sure your screen is calibrated to a certain standard. If you calibrate 5 screens, they will all have exactly the same colors on screen (if the screens are good enough).
With good calibration you can use color profiles of printers (I mean the companies making the actual paperprints) to be sure that what you see on screen is what you will see in the printed result. The 'suction cups' are getting cheaper (even affordable) now, and they also have versions for LCD screens.

Calibrating your scanner and printer will be harder. I guess your scanner could be calibrated with a test photo and the right software. When I was working for a company doing print stuff we had profiles for certain photo brands (Kodak, Fujifilm, etc).

All in all calibrating your system is an expensive hobby, not really worth it unless you are doing professional print work.

Yorgo12345
05-07-2003, 10:08 AM
Thanks for the replies guys,

I ask because my scanner seems to scan everything too dark. It looks like the lower levels are getting lost and there's alot of dark grey in my scans.

I guess I don't really care about the printer, but it's totally unacceptable to lose color value like I am.

it's an old scanner, maybee it's wearing down. I guess I'll have to pick up a new one.

It's a good idea to be able to match the colors "going in" with the colors on the screen. At least as close as possible, I'll keep investigating, I'll post if I find anything more.

Jer
05-15-2003, 01:21 AM
Check out http://www.colorvision.com/home.html . Their's also http://www.monacosys.com/ . Both offer great systems for a reasonable price. But if the only problem is with the scanner scanning to dark, I'd lean towards getting a new scanner. Epson's 1600 series are great, definitely worth the money vs the sub $100 now on the market. Their are also a number of books on the subject.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.