PDA

View Full Version : Really Weird Photoshop Keyboard Issue.

Marcellis
03-01-2008, 11:30 PM
My Photoshop (CS2; v9.0.2) is not recognizing some of my keyboard keys correctly. It's driving me insane. Here's the deal:

The [ ] - = keys just plain don't work. I can't resize my brushes with my keyboard. :(

When I'm using the text tool, this crazy stuff happens:

up = &
down = (
left = %
right =

insert = -
delete = .
home = $
end = #
page up = !
page down =

And once I take NumLock off, 123456789 = #(%$&! (five does nothing).

When I go into my prefs to manually set the right hotkeys to default, I get CRAZY characters.

- =
= =

But all the letter keys work fine, and Ctrl, Alt, Shift, Tab, Caps Lock, Space--those all work. It's like the right half of my keyboard is somehow gobbledigook to PS. I tried using a different keyboard, and I reset all my preferences--both to no avail.

Ideas, anyone? :( I feel like a crazy person.

By the way, I did go to Adobe.com for support, but it seems they like to make it difficult for me to ask them questions, and their forum setup is...not the most user-friendly.

== Since I'm still working on this as I write this post ==

Okay, I just went into my keyboard shortcuts, and attempted to set brush resize to different keys, and then back to [ and ], where they should be, but upon entering [, the character shows up. And then, instead of ], I see . Weird? Yes.

I go back to my test canvas, hit b, then [ and ]--and they work. :shrug:

Now, while this is kinda cool and all, that I can resize my brushes again...it just ain't right. Again, if anyone has any ideas as to what's going on, boy, would I love to hear what you have to say. Or if you know of a resident Photoshop genius I could pm...

mykhel
03-02-2008, 02:30 AM
I have no idea. But if worse come to worser, try restoring the defaults.

Do one of the following:

Press and hold Alt+Control+Shift (Windows) or Option+Command+Shift (Mac OS) as you start Photoshop. You are prompted to delete the current settings.

(Mac OS only) Open the Preferences folder in the Library folder, and drag the Adobe Photoshop CS Settings folder to the Trash.

New Preferences files are created the next time you start Photoshop.

This is for cs3 but I think it the same for v9.

CGTalk Moderation
03-02-2008, 02:30 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.