PDA

View Full Version : Painter Vs Painter Essentials

eMysfit
03-01-2008, 05:14 PM
I'm just wondering what exactly are the major things that Painter Essentials is missing? As a hobbiest 80 dollars is a whole lot less than 380, so all the info I can get is helpful.

I'm mostly looking to have the ability to color/paint freehand with basic brushes.

I'm completely new to painter anyway, I just downloaded the trial version of Painter X. I really like it so far though.

evanfotis
03-11-2008, 10:34 PM
Painter Classic or essentials, which comes with most wacom tablets, has more than enough tools for the hobbyist.
I might dare say, that its simplified options compared to Painter X, helps rather than prohibits creativity.
It misses all the plethora of brush variants and customization of PX afaik.
If one can work with artrage, then Painter essentials is more than enough. Once (and if) one reaches its limits, time to try Painter X.

chillie
03-12-2008, 01:34 PM
You could always download the trial for Painter Essentials 4 and compare it to the Painter X trial.

http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satellite/ca/en/Content/1152796555406

In Painter Essentials 4, you still have the ability to draw/paint freehand, but with less brushes to choose from.

eMysfit
03-12-2008, 07:21 PM
Thank you for the reply, helps alot. I'm currently using GIMP with an old tablet i have....while this actually works fine for me the tablet doesn't always work so well with the program. For some reason it only works if I start up the painter trial version i downloaded, then go back to GIMP, but everytime I restart my pc GIMP isn't letting the tablet work again so I have to start painter, then it randomly works in GIMP again....wierd eh?

I might just buy a new tablet that comes with Painter Essentials. The way you describe it sounds good enough for me and I'd like to get a slightly better tablet anyway.

Thanks again!

CMG
06-05-2008, 04:53 PM
Hi,

this Thread might be a bit old but about that GIMP-problem, I've got it too. It seems like using the tablet within gimp only works if you start gimp with the tablet, i.e. you click the gimp-icon with the pen. Only then I can paint in gimp. You just can't use the mouse to paint, then.

C

Miguimau
06-05-2008, 11:39 PM
Other tablets than Wacom are a joke today. Even the cheapest Wacom worths it, specially with the bundled Painter Essentials.. :)

AnonyMouse
06-21-2008, 11:54 PM
Try Artweaver too (artweaver.de). It is free and is very similar to Painter (and a bit to Photoshop).

CGTalk Moderation
06-21-2008, 11:54 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.