PDA

View Full Version : Not hard question

Hoood
03-01-2008, 04:07 PM
Hi Profissionals, I hope you are doing stunning effects out there !!

A little help from you can make the world worse guys .. in terms of vfx of course :)

wanna know the best way to learn Particle System, and if I need the Dynamics before or after
it?

you see? not hard question

---------------------------------------------
VFX: is to blow the modelers work in minutes :)

scrimski
03-01-2008, 04:30 PM
Great thread title.

wanna know the best way to learn Particle System, and if I need the Dynamics before or after
it?

Maybe.

You see? Answer was easy

Bobo
03-01-2008, 06:44 PM
wanna know the best way to learn Particle System, and if I need the Dynamics before or after it?

How to learn Particle Systems in Five Easy Steps:
1. Take a chair.
2. Put your behind on it.
3. Launch Max
4. Play with Particles
5. Repeat steps 1 to 4 daily for a couple of years

;)

In general, the best people in the industry have learned by doing, because when they started learning the tools, there was no pre-existing learning material. For example, when Particle Flow came out as extension for Max 5, there was little learning material or tutorials for it, so the "early adopters" just sat down and experimented with it. After 5 years, some of those people teach Master Classes for Autodesk.
To become really good, you don't necessarily need books and tutorials, you need passion and practice.

ahmedsheeraz
03-02-2008, 06:13 PM
Bobo....u r the best...very gud answer.

Hoood
03-03-2008, 11:41 AM
A words from profissional can't help those whom miss passion, will and time :)

I believe this is the best way as I learned MAX by myself. But for the Particle System I think

I need some fast learning path for the sake of my MA project.

Why you guys forget about the Dynamics issue? is it necessary before or after learning PSystem?

Thanks for everyone..

Bobo
03-03-2008, 03:18 PM
A words from profissional can't help those whom miss passion, will and time :)

I believe this is the best way as I learned MAX by myself. But for the Particle System I think

I need some fast learning path for the sake of my MA project.

Why you guys forget about the Dynamics issue? is it necessary before or after learning PSystem?

Thanks for everyone..

In Max, Particles and Dynamics are somewhat "divorced". In Particle Flow for example, there is no real concept of real world physics, no mass, gravity is in the wrong units, but you can still fake all the necessary behaviors if you have a good feeling of reality. There is barely any connection to the Reactor dynamics so learning the two in either order should be the same.

Start with the Particle topics in the 3ds Max Tutorials that ship with the application. Then I highly encourage you to search, find and listen to everything Allan McKay and Brandon Davis have ever recorded and published online in regards to Particle Flow. Also visit the www.orbaz.com (http://www.orbaz.com), find the forums and read through the posts there - Oleg, the original developer of Particle Flow, is the moderator of that forum and you can get your more technical questions answered. But don't go there asking "how do I learn PFlow" because this wouldn't be helpful - start doing something practical and when you hit a snag, ask questions.

Hoood
03-03-2008, 08:45 PM
I hope everybody listens to your advice Bobo, not only concerning the VFX, but for anything that could anyone choose for his life's career..

Also, Pete Draper's book "Deconstructing The Elements" is a must in the VFX section as it is a reference for a realistic understanding of materials that act smartly.

Cheers..

CGTalk Moderation
03-03-2008, 08:45 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.