PDA

View Full Version : Annouce: Mental Ray Render Pass ToolKit 1.0 Released

ghostlake114
03-01-2008, 10:34 AM
NOTE: NOW 32 AND 64 BIT WIN
http://ghostlake114.3dvn.com/home/images/stories/passrender.jpg Rendering pass with Mentalray for Maya is a problem from version to version. All user just want a ONE CLICK solution, but Alias, and now Autodesk, never think of us as end-user, but more "developer" when giving us pieces of shader, buffer, multi-output.

Ya, I wont make complain any more, this has been discussed too much on cgtalk.com also many other CG site. So I decide to make a Tool Kit to allow pass-render for Maya Mentalray with ONE CLICK SETUP.

. This version currently support mia_material and misss_fast_skin_maya

>>>---->>> MORE INFO AND DOWNLOAD HERE <<<----<<< (http://ghostlake114.3dvn.com/home/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=12&Itemid=27)

MIRROR LINK (http://www.highend3d.com/f/5347.html)

http://ghostlake114.3dvn.com/home/articles/mrtoolkit/final_00.jpg

Ultrasonic
03-01-2008, 11:25 AM
Holy shit....this is FANTASTIC! Will test this right f%$&in' now!!!

If that works like you say it's a live safer....i already get some cool ideas after checking out the phenomenons MI File!

You rock dude!
OLi

brogh
03-01-2008, 12:41 PM
Great, i will test it today, overall features looks out really great.

well done man :)

ps

...... it's strange that alias/autodesk had not released something like this before :D, maya pass structure is obsolescent

rcronin
03-01-2008, 12:50 PM
Wicked! Thanks for the weekend play toy! R

ghostlake114
03-01-2008, 02:28 PM
so any of us guys make my "mess" run sucessfully. It may take a little time to install because of external shader/files, but hope I could run on your PC. The problem is shader loaded position, but If you place them right as in my guide, the phenomenon will work without doubt

Dias
03-01-2008, 03:32 PM
Sounds good, I'll try it later. :)

Any idea about when classical Maya's shader will be supported (or car_paint)?

ghostlake114
03-01-2008, 03:40 PM
yes, exactly except car_paint, no need for Other shader IMO because mia_ and misss_fast cover all you need in a normal scene . I will find a way to seperate it into pass.

Dias
03-01-2008, 06:27 PM
Ok, I'm trying it, or least I'm try to do so (something gone wrong during installation I guess). :D

When I launch the very first script I get:

// Error: No object matches name: miDefaultOptions.minSamples //

Any idea?

EDIT: Forget it, I guess I just forgot to switch to MR. GUI appeared, I'll do some test. :)

Dias
03-01-2008, 06:55 PM
Hmm, let's see if I'm do it right:

- mrRenderTool;
- click Setup Pass Nodes
- create a Physical Sun, a sphere and assign "mia" shader
- render

All I get is a Beauty Pass not matter which passes I chose in "mia" shader properties. :shrug:

ghostlake114
03-02-2008, 02:02 AM
I forget 1 small thing.

The current will give pass for persp camera.To get pass with other camera, you need to plug glbufferwrite in hypershade in to secondary output shader.

That s all.

Hamburger
03-02-2008, 02:32 AM
Awesome-o!

Great work there ghostlake, can't wait to test this out. It's things like this that are just an extreme time saver. Massive thanks!

Towbee
03-02-2008, 04:14 PM
Wow nice :)

Hope it will work on 64Bit too, will it? *pray* ;)

ghostlake114
03-02-2008, 04:21 PM
Maya 2008 Win 32 Bit Requirement
The fact, this is just phenomenon and script, so my tool dont has any flatform base, but the shader need to installed is flatform based, and so now, currently neccesarry shader is compatible to 32 bit Win only

achoury
03-02-2008, 04:49 PM
hi
Great job! i will test it
rachid

Ultrasonic
03-02-2008, 05:25 PM
I get this message: phenomenon "mia" root not found

Anyone with the same problem?

ghostlake114
03-03-2008, 06:03 AM
It may be you setup in wrong way, please read my guide carefully. It may the neccessary shader in phenomenon are loaded AFTER the mia, in your case I guess my mia is loaded BEFORE the production shader library

ghale
03-03-2008, 09:12 AM
I get this error.

// Error: No object matches name: glbufferwrite

What can be the solution?

thanks

ghale
03-03-2008, 09:36 AM
oh.. my bad.

I forgot to install ctrl_buffer.

I'm trying it out

achoury
03-03-2008, 10:09 AM
hi
only the diffuse pass are rendered with Render Pass ToolKit 1.0 (http://ghostlake114.3dvn.com/home/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=12&Itemid=26), the others pass are all black and in jpeg format!
whatever format you choose: exr, iff, tif, tga, etc...the extention are ignored only jpeg and black!
can you share a simple scene to look at!

thank's
Rachid

ghostlake114
03-03-2008, 10:35 AM
The output setting for pass is from glbufferwrite, so select it and you get extension what you want, if you choose exr then you will get 32 bit floating

===

achoury: For your scene, has you turn on final gather/GI, are there any thing with specular/reflect/refract in your scene, if you make a ball with default mia then sure you only get diffuse pass.

achoury
03-03-2008, 11:11 AM
The output setting for pass is from glbufferwrite, so select it and you get extension what you want, if you choose exr then you will get 32 bit floating

===

achoury: For your scene, has you turn on final gather/GI, are there any thing with specular/reflect/refract in your scene, if you make a ball with default mia then sure you only get diffuse pass.

hi
Yes i do it in the wrong way so the extention format must be in the glbufferwrite rather than the maya Common tab.
thank you it work's now

rachid

ghostlake114
03-03-2008, 12:45 PM
happy to know it works :applause:

joie
03-03-2008, 05:18 PM
Please tell me when this wonderful piece of art work in 64 bit...

BTW: No shadow pass?, Oh my!

MinaRagaie
03-03-2008, 05:28 PM
Great work ghostlake114 :) (and a nice nickname too)
I've been working on sth similar myself, wich compared to this looks too naive...
anyway... I haven't tested your toolkit yet and sadly I might not have a chance to.

If I understood correctly.. you're putting the data in buffers using a pheneomena based on ctrl_buffers, mia_material and a couple of other shaders.

AFAIK, mia ain't affected by the emmit diffuse and emmit specular on Maya lights... do you have a workaround for that??

a week ago I finished writting my first mental ray shader. it does "almost" no shading calculations and outputs framebuffers... it might be very useful to a phenomena writer like you.

However, I'm no expert shader writer and I'm going to be a bit busy the coming time.. I will not be able to support it. I can share the source code with you, if you know a shader writer that can develop it further or support it.

PM me if you need that shader.
... and yup no shadow buffers... to much headach for a lighting artist like me ;)

-Mina

ghostlake114
03-03-2008, 06:02 PM
@MinaRagaie: ya I know Mia ain't affected by the emmit diffuse and emmit specular on Maya lights, but IMO, these setting are for faking GI case, with a physical setup of light, no need to tweek which light emit diffuse, which light emit specular.

About shadow pass, at first I tend to make one with direct_raw and indirect_raw of mia_material_x, however, then I come to problem with compositing. The linear workflow with tonemap shader affect these raw pass in some way that I can not composite them to make it look like the original render.

Maybe with the new version of ctrl_buffer, that is predicted after the service pack of 2008 and passes could be tonemaped after render, I will make a new update of this toolkit with shadow pass

Dias
03-03-2008, 06:59 PM
I keep trying but it doesn't work for me. :shrug:

There are no visible errors, but when I hit Render it gives me only beauty/final_render not matter which pass I select inside "mia" shader.

MinaRagaie
03-03-2008, 07:40 PM
@MinaRagaie: ya I know Mia ain't affected by the emmit diffuse and emmit specular on Maya lights, but IMO, these setting are for faking GI case, with a physical setup of light, no need to tweek which light emit diffuse, which light emit specular.I'd agree... yet, buffers come quite handy for non physical setups.
Maybe with the new version of ctrl_buffer, that is predicted after the service pack of 2008 and passes could be tonemaped after render, I will make a new update of this toolkit with shadow passummm... how did you know that it's predicted after sp1??
it's been quite a while since Franseca posted anything on CGTalk and ctrl studio don't have a web page AFAIK... anyway that's great news :)

-Mina

Ash-Man
03-03-2008, 08:06 PM
thanks for sharing

will give it a try for sure

ghostlake114
03-04-2008, 02:21 AM
I keep trying but it doesn't work for me. :shrug:

There are no visible errors, but when I hit Render it gives me only beauty/final_render not matter which pass I select inside "mia" shader.
1. Are u using persp camera, if you are using another, make sure plug glbufferwrite into secondary output slot
2. The render image is in your images path of project, and if you just hit render, it will be in images_path/tmp . Do you GET all images file, but they are just black. If it is that, check as I suggest above: make sure you check on GI/FG and really has some thing with specular, reflection, refraction in scene

ghostlake114
03-04-2008, 02:23 AM
Or you could upload your test scene here so I could give it a look. The tool is really easy to use and I cant make sure what is trouble now

Ultrasonic
03-04-2008, 10:57 PM
Hey ho....

...now it works for me too...

For all the guys who are waiting for something like this with 64bit support-> BE PATIENT...i have a similar setup running here using shaders_p from puppet...hope i can share this too in the next few weeks...

@ghostlake: THX for your very good work and inspiration!

c ya
OLi

antokoman
03-04-2008, 11:39 PM
Well, sorry for my ignorance, but i understand that it only supports these two shader types? Is it possible to use it with maya standard shaders?

Thanks in advance,

Antoko

Dias
03-05-2008, 12:30 AM
2. The render image is in your images path of project, and if you just hit render, it will be in images_path/tmp . Do you GET all images file, but they are just black. If it is that, check as I suggest above: make sure you check on GI/FG and really has some thing with specular, reflection, refraction in scene

Ops, yeah, now it works (haven't checked that folder, I was expecting to see different passes in RenderView). If I was you I'd add this little info in tutorial, not everybody know that (especially guys who looks for easy solution like this). :)

Thanks again, I guess I'll render my car with this shader. :scream:

ghostlake114
03-05-2008, 03:27 AM
Well, sorry for my ignorance, but i understand that it only supports these two shader types? Is it possible to use it with maya standard shaders?

Thanks in advance,

Antoko

Yes, only mia and misss_fast_skin support. But you need Maya standard shader for what when mia is a super combo shader and could cover all arch shader.?

@Ultrasonic: puppet is site down. :( . AFAIK, puppet shader only give pass if we use p_shader and also his light shader, that IMO will be a big limitation

inguatu
03-05-2008, 04:24 PM
PDF on the site is missing any images.

ghostlake114
03-05-2008, 04:31 PM
The PDF is automatically generated by my portal (joomla), I disable this feature to advoid this now

tuuhia
03-06-2008, 04:47 AM
thanks for sharing ghostlake114:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:...i'll giv it a try :buttrock:for sure....

Gozer
03-06-2008, 02:30 PM
Hello, awsome work i must say, however it seams i have a problem getting it working. I have followed every step in your very detailed installation description and all addons are up and running and it also renders every pass out with a proper name etc but no matter what i do they just come out as black, fg, gi reflective non reflective, nothing i do changes the fact it's black. What are the possible reasons for this behaviour, where is the logical start to troubleshoot this, any idea? :shrug:

Rendered cam is perspective. The pass shader is assigned to the test object. rgba set in buffer api and format set to jpg. I have had the same problem getting ctrl_buffers to work before but never been able to solve it so would be very happy to pinpoint this problem :)

ghostlake114
03-06-2008, 04:06 PM
upload your scene here so I could see if there is problem... If not, It s your installation, please make sure follow all my guide, the external shader is quite much, also the neccessary shader need to be loaded before the mia if you are using your maya.env

calmasacow
03-07-2008, 05:21 PM
Just out of curiosity. It seems to me that the 32 bit limitation is only due to the ctrl_buffers being 32 bit only correct? why not just use one of the other shader that support this there are quite a few on the internet. I don't understand why people think that ctrl_buffers is the be all end all of buffers in mental ray. To be honest I find it is undocumented, unsupported, and most of all unmaintained. It is completly undependable for a production enviroment. And lack of 64bit support is a huge issue now days. Many studios use 64 bit systems now "mainly linux". Not being 64bit is a deal breaker for a lot of studios.

calmasacow
03-07-2008, 05:22 PM
as a matter of fact here is one that supports buffers for 32 and 64 bit and has the sourcecode with it.
http://www.render3d.de/data/shaders/mentalray/simplePasses.zip

ghostlake114
03-07-2008, 05:49 PM
calmasacow: thanks s for your comment, except the simple pass, could you point out another buffer shader that work as you mention. The simple pass shader is TOO SIMPLE IMO for some thing like this, and its setup is quite complicated, not product or studio oriented

calmasacow
03-07-2008, 06:20 PM
yes but as I stated the source is there. you can make whatever you wnat from there that is the path we are looking at now. I just notice you are using the zdOF shader. this one is limited to 32bit as well unfortunately. I have talked with the author and he is very unco-operative. Hey will not make a 64bit version until Autodesk releases a native 64bit version of maya for the mac. Which to my knowledge is not going to be anytime in the near future. we offeered to work with him to produce it but he was very stand-offish and difficult. So again we are resorting to building this one from scratch as well. I will keep this thread updated with whatever we come up with.

But waiting for ctrl.studio or andreas bauer to make 64 bit versions of their shders is prolly just not going to happen. I mean crtl.studio doesn't even have a website. From what I undestand there are a few differnt people that have come to the forums that claim to have worked at this place but honestly, I cannot find any proof that it actually exist.

ghostlake114
03-07-2008, 06:32 PM
ya. I also have email him for a 64 bit and get the same answer :sad:

I agree about the dependence on ctrl.studio for there new version of ctrl_buffer or 64 bit version (I have raised a thread with this topic and get no info), and dont understand why autodesk/alias dont give us this kind of shader although there are thoundsand of moans from us.

I am just having a little knowedge of scripting and building phenomenon, so I can not do anything but build my tool on top of others's shader. If you could make a buffer shader that handy enough into production, I will immediately make another mia phen based on your shader without doubt.

Hope to see your shader soon

calmasacow
03-07-2008, 07:17 PM
Well in their defense Autodesk only gives us the shaders that Mental Images is giving them.

To be honest with you the fact that this thing is dependant on shaders in the first place is freaking rediculas. All other renders have this function nativly Vray and renderman both have it defined inthe globals and you just click on the passes that you want. It is so much simpler. Unfortunatly renderman is just rediculasly priced if you want to render on 64bit. you have to use renderman pro server. $3500 US per license. This was doen to protect that money. because if there was a windows 64 bit version of renderman for maya the number of licenses they sell of RPS would drop dramaticly. Oh well perhaps with so many of the other affordable renderman compliant renderes comming out the price will go down.

But oh well here we are trying to figure it out with what we have. so yeah as soon as we have something I will definatly get it to you and the rest of this community.

MinaRagaie
03-07-2008, 11:05 PM
I am just having a little knowedge of scripting and building phenomenon, so I can not do anything but build my tool on top of others's shader. If you could make a buffer shader that handy enough into production, I will immediately make another mia phen based on your shader without doubt.

Hope to see your shader soon

My offer still stands, I'd share my shader source code with you if you know a shader TD who's willing to maintain it, update it and keep it running.
I do have a compiled 32 bit version for windows also... with the source code, you could compile the 64 bit version yourself.
I can throw that shader online but...
the thing is I'm a "lighting artist" and that's just the only mental ray shader I made...
I'm not expereinced enough to maintain it... and throwing it online like that would be... well... "just another unmaintained shader"

as for what that shader does... it's very simple...
it defines empty slots named "amb, diff, incand, transl, refr, spec, refl" whatever is connected to them is thrown into the buffers 1 to 7.
there's an extra color slot called "refrWeight" you connect their whatever you're using as a trasperancy map and the amb, diff, translucency gets weigted aganist it.
every component has two check boxes one for primary rays and one for secondary rays.

the shader computes irradiance and stores it in buffer 8 and it has a color multiplier for irradiance.
the outColor is the addition of all buffers.

as you can see it's no rocket since... but it might be the kinda thing that's suitable for a phenomena writer.

-Mina

rwijaya
03-08-2008, 02:09 AM
such a cool idea! *thumbs

but not having the version that compatible with 64bit, plain sucks!

64 bit please, . . . . . . . . only if i know how to compile it myself. not your fault though, the shader need to be in 64 i guess. :/

ghostlake114
03-08-2008, 06:32 AM
Well in their defense Autodesk only gives us the shaders that Mental Images is giving them.

To be honest with you the fact that this thing is dependant on shaders in the first place is freaking rediculas. All other renders have this function nativly Vray and renderman both have it defined inthe globals and you just click on the passes that you want. It is so much simpler. Unfortunatly renderman is just rediculasly priced if you want to render on 64bit. you have to use renderman pro server. $3500 US per license. This was doen to protect that money. because if there was a windows 64 bit version of renderman for maya the number of licenses they sell of RPS would drop dramaticly. Oh well perhaps with so many of the other affordable renderman compliant renderes comming out the price will go down.

But oh well here we are trying to figure it out with what we have. so yeah as soon as we have something I will definatly get it to you and the rest of this community.

haha. I cant agree any more, rediculous with shader thing for pass. But assume we are in "old thread" about pass stuff of MR now. Whatever we say, whaterver we want, I dont think Autodesk/mental images will give a look to end-user like us . It has been years and what they say only "in our future plan :applause:"

----------

Hope we could work together to bring some thing good enough in production and user oriented.

ghostlake114
03-08-2008, 06:35 AM
One more point, any around here experience with XSI? I notice in some XSI screen shot they have PASS OPTION for mentalray, so what the hell with Maya :eek: . I wondered this for such a LOOONG TIME

MinaRagaie
03-08-2008, 08:24 AM
One more point, any around here experience with XSI? I notice in some XSI screen shot they have PASS OPTION for mentalray, so what the hell with Maya :eek: . I wondered this for such a LOOONG TIME
Been a while since I used XSI, but yes.. ever since version 5 there's 5 check boxes that say.. ambient diffuse specular refraction reflection.... (I don't remember what was the last one)
and since version 6 there's a buffer shader similar to ctrl_buffers and a user friendly interface in ther render options to output buffers.
actually I wonder y such a simple shader that stores buffers isn't a part of the new mip_* shaders (at least we can be greatful there's a ray type switch now ;) wow )

-Mina

NUKE-CG
03-10-2008, 12:04 PM
And the people rejoiced! For they received a feature that was sure to never get added by Autodesk's rendering team.

Thank you sir, much appreciated.

daddyo
03-11-2008, 06:23 PM
Yeah, the mental ray integration into Maya is the worst, compared to XSI and Max. Autodesk probably won't spend the money to correct this, as they see that competing renderers will eventually push Mental to take care of it, one way or another.

Thanks to the end-user community, and people like Master ZAP, MR has become more approachable than it used to be.

calmasacow
03-13-2008, 06:02 AM
My offer still stands, I'd share my shader source code with you if you know a shader TD who's willing to maintain it, update it and keep it running.
I do have a compiled 32 bit version for windows also... with the source code, you could compile the 64 bit version yourself.
I can throw that shader online but...
the thing is I'm a "lighting artist" and that's just the only mental ray shader I made...
I'm not expereinced enough to maintain it... and throwing it online like that would be... well... "just another unmaintained shader"

as for what that shader does... it's very simple...
it defines empty slots named "amb, diff, incand, transl, refr, spec, refl" whatever is connected to them is thrown into the buffers 1 to 7.
there's an extra color slot called "refrWeight" you connect their whatever you're using as a trasperancy map and the amb, diff, translucency gets weigted aganist it.
every component has two check boxes one for primary rays and one for secondary rays.

the shader computes irradiance and stores it in buffer 8 and it has a color multiplier for irradiance.
the outColor is the addition of all buffers.

as you can see it's no rocket since... but it might be the kinda thing that's suitable for a phenomena writer.

-Mina

I can convert that to 64bit. And give that shder and it's source a home. I will see you always get credit for it as well.

the Other Thing is the Z-DOF thing my partner is working on writing a shader to do the same thing. Once those things are in place there is no reasons a 64bit version would not be possible.

spaceflower
03-14-2008, 10:25 AM
thank you!

razorback
03-17-2008, 10:45 PM
Hi guys,

Most importantly, much thanks for ghostlake for sharing this. its ppl like you that continue to make cgtalk, and the cg community in general a better place.

I was actually testing out Nuke 5.0, and was actually here looking for some way to output multi channel .exr files from Maya, but came across this instead. Just as well :) A feature to consider in the future ?

Anyway, I've read through the comments here about the 64bit problem. With regards to the Z-DOF, can I suggest that it be changed to the native maya depth pass shader ? Its already native to Maya, so it would work for both 32 and 64bit versions.

If rendered out at 32 or even 16 bit float iamges, it gives alot of control. I personally would prefere this as my camera focus is not set in stone. Working mostly in TV commercials, its not uncommon for a client to sit next to me while I work.... and they are a fickle lot. So something that was infact not ment to be in focus would then later "be in focus" just because it "looks better".

Just a suggestion, pls dont flame me :P

-K

calmasacow
03-17-2008, 11:38 PM
yeah I forced to agree with you. most post defocusing methods are designed for the ramp to be one way and not ramp in and then back out. I think ZDOF is just more of a pain in the @$$ than it is worth.

The only thing is it would be nice to have everything native to MR for those situations where you want to send it to a MR standalone renderfarm. But when my programmer gets back from vaccation next week he is gonna start on this stuff and I'm sure we can come up with something.

Bitter
03-18-2008, 04:37 AM
There are mental images shaders in beta for framebuffers. They have not been rewritten for the new API yet. (2008 SP1) So I have had a couple issues with alpha, but they work otherwise for all platforms (everything except Leopard but there's no new Maya for that anyway).

Autodesk will not release shaders until they have been tested to their standards (whatever that means) which is why the mip shaders are still locked despite having been used since Maya 8.5. So the comment that Autodesk only uses what MI gives them is both true and misleading. . .Zap himself mentioned at SIGGRAPH his shaders would be available. . .and then they were promptly locked out. So to even his knowledge they were complete but Autodesk decided not to make them available (without a hack).

XSI integration of mental ray is the (near) holy grail, but that integration seems to be from the ground up which isn't the case for Maya. And yes, XSI has passes built-in just like Renderman and Vray, etc. Autodesk has also said the base shaders will have future output like the mia_x. Once all of the shaders operate correctly then a drop down menu would be possible (since it would eliminate the problem of using a shader without the outputs and breaking the pass. Like now, mia_x and one lambert. . .oops.)

It's not that it cannot be done.

It's not that it hasn't been done.

It's that they are apparently really slow to do it.

Again, the person(s) that would need to be prodded about it would be Autodesk. They have a suggestion and bug link where you can suggest this/report this. I have done it several times for different issues.

Instead of taking the time to type here, type there, fill out the form and explain that it is a much needed and overdue feature that makes you interested in a non-Autodesk product. :buttrock:

ghostlake114
03-18-2008, 05:36 AM
Hello Ghostlake! :)
First of all - thank you for your Passes Toolkit. :)
And second i have some problem with passes when i rendering with physicalsky/sun.

At this link i think you all understand what i mean. http://lynch.times.lv/
Can u shortly understand how to solve problem and get correct passes with physicalskysun.? Cause the final result is bad in comparison with IBL passes.

Thank you!

I d like to help alot, but your site is terribly slow :| so I can not see your problem. But to my exp, the tonemap to use must be mia_simple. so then you could apply a gain correct and gamma correct to final composite.

There are a weird thing with composite in FUsion, but I dont know what it is with shake or nuke or sth else but I think any compositor could figure out, that s the diffuse and indirect pass must combine in ADD mode, then other pass is SCREEN.

You could also make gain correct, contrast,etc to other pass to get result better.

ghostlake114
03-18-2008, 05:42 AM
@ razorback & calmasacow: I make this tool based on my knowledge only, and I found this Z shader is best for faking DOF, but any chance to make a "floating DOF", mean we could change focus in compositing, so I could leave out this shader :)

ghostlake114
03-18-2008, 05:51 AM
@Bitter (http://forums.cgsociety.org/member.php?u=34231)
Thoundsand times we cry out this, beg for passes output, thounsand topic has been raised, many question was asked, a lot of pain in the @ss, but this still be the same

Why Vray, a new thing, has been so popular, and have many wonderful version. And Vlado is very listenining, he answer, read all the post we make

But as I have mentioned, we are END - USERS, so we dont the the right, and in the list of BIG GUYS.

At the momment, I myself never think we could grasp hand on a pass rendering feature of MR for Maya. I am sure next released of Maya, we will have a frame buffer shader (a very big efford :applause:) , and we still play in the ocean of frame buffer, not PASS, (no we Maya Autodesk dont know what the heck PASS is, in our programing language, only has buffer definition :deal: :D)

Bitter
03-18-2008, 06:00 AM
The hangup for Autodesk is preserving the workflow for Maya. Renderman and Vray are less concerned about that aspect. (Hence why Renderman fur doesn't look like maya fur, they are not concerned with reproducing the look or workflow to a certain degree, they expect you to adapt for the benefits.)

I suspect if MR were a plug-in with a similar idea it wouldn't be where it is now. It would do more of what we want but there of course would be hangups with some things not being translated correctly. (Like no fluids for Renderman.)

It's a craps shoot on what gets fixed next. And I feel your pain, I am having to resort to render layers and horrible setup when I should be able to do framebuffers easier with a faster rendertime.

However, since I do not control the software we use at the studio, nor do I have the time to learn something new. . .yet, there's no point in giving myself an ulcer.

Work does that for me. :scream:

But for now, people like you have at least graciously attempted to solve the issue instead of just complaining. :thumbsup:

MinaRagaie
03-18-2008, 09:04 AM
The only thing is it would be nice to have everything native to MR for those situations where you want to send it to a MR standalone renderfarm. But when my programmer gets back from vaccation next week he is gonna start on this stuff and I'm sure we can come up with something.

I'm looking forward for that :)

-Mina

razorback
03-19-2008, 08:31 AM
yeah I forced to agree with you. most post defocusing methods are designed for the ramp to be one way and not ramp in and then back out. I think ZDOF is just more of a pain in the @$$ than it is worth.

I think the way ZDOF works that way is to make it easier for less experienced FFI operators who dont know how to remap the depth maps to generate post DOF. Ive personally never used ZDOF, but the sample images look pretty much like it.

Not too sure about creating a depth based shader in MR, it seems like your programmer would have to figure out how to rewrite the sampler info in MR.

Good luck with it. Let us know the results :)

MinaRagaie
03-19-2008, 09:38 AM
Not too sure about creating a depth based shader in MR, it seems like your programmer would have to figure out how to rewrite the sampler info in MR.

not really...
I know in Renderman sl you got E (Eye position) and P (Position of the surface) as pre-defined variables. getting the distance between those is a matter of simple vector math.

I'm no shading expert, but since MR shaders are written in C, I bet it would take a couple of extra lines to do. E and P are quite basic and I'm sure there are similar variables in MR.

-Mina

razorback
03-19-2008, 07:54 PM
I really doubt its as simple as that, as what you have mentioned is only eye position and position on surface. Depending on what you need to achieve, it could be as simple as distance between. The real challenge is transforming your location of your point in 3D space to pixel location in 2D image space.

I could be wrong tho'

calmasacow
03-19-2008, 09:05 PM
I think the way ZDOF works that way is to make it easier for less experienced FFI operators who dont know how to remap the depth maps to generate post DOF. Ive personally never used ZDOF, but the sample images look pretty much like it.

yes it is very obvious in its nature but unfortunatly it is not what many of the post production filters that add this effect are expecting and thus they do not work correctly. In the images that you it is the compound blur being used and you get color bleeding becasue the the depth is not taken into account, and it can't be becasue it is not correct. For the effect like Lens blur to work correctly the gradient has to be a one way gradient. And as a uuse point out there is another advantage to this in that if you change your mind later you can ajust it and change you focus zDOF you have to re-render becaue you rendered your focus range into the image.

I think the best choice in all honest is a MR version of the maya depth shader. possbilly though we should prolly inclue a script that will connect a locator to the camera that can be moded to set the far clipping plane and ther for adjusting the depth of the gradient. this will provide the affor mentioned "user friendly approach"

MinaRagaie
03-20-2008, 11:40 AM
I really doubt its as simple as that, as what you have mentioned is only eye position and position on surface. Depending on what you need to achieve, it could be as simple as distance between. The real challenge is transforming your location of your point in 3D space to pixel location in 2D image space.

I could be wrong tho'
I'm not sure why you would need to transform the point into 2d space... or maybe I didn't get what you said.
P is the point being sampled and E is the camera... if would try to write depth shader I'd get the distance between them and remap that to 0..1 range based on two user parameters "near" and "far"...

but as I said I'm no expert... I could be wrong too :)

I think such shader already existis among puppet's shaders and the source code is also included. you can check that if you want :)

-Mina

razorback
03-20-2008, 10:07 PM
yes it is very obvious in its nature but unfortunatly it is not what many of the post production filters that add this effect are expecting and thus they do not work correctly. In the images that you it is the compound blur being used and you get color bleeding becasue the the depth is not taken into account, and it can't be becasue it is not correct. For the effect like Lens blur to work correctly the gradient has to be a one way gradient. And as a uuse point out there is another advantage to this in that if you change your mind later you can ajust it and change you focus zDOF you have to re-render becaue you rendered your focus range into the image.

If I'm not mistaken, it wasn't the intention for it to be used as a depth matte for post DOF, for example : the depth blur in fusion, but for it to be used as an effects matte over a stadard blurred image.

Matte --> Blur Operator / Node --> Original Image

I think the best choice in all honest is a MR version of the maya depth shader. possbilly though we should prolly inclue a script that will connect a locator to the camera that can be moded to set the far clipping plane and ther for adjusting the depth of the gradient. this will provide the affor mentioned "user friendly approach"

Most backroom / desktop compositors would agree, but I find that even the normal depth mattes from the render layer default, set to 16bit output, is enough. No need for the fancy in Maya controls. Any comper worth his salt would be able to set white points and adjust gamma.

Peace

-K

razorback
03-20-2008, 10:25 PM
I'm not sure why you would need to transform the point into 2d space... or maybe I didn't get what you said.
P is the point being sampled and E is the camera... if would try to write depth shader I'd get the distance between them and remap that to 0..1 range based on two user parameters "near" and "far"...

but as I said I'm no expert... I could be wrong too :)

I think such shader already existis among puppet's shaders and the source code is also included. you can check that if you want :)

-Mina

Hehe, I don't think I explained clearly either :P

Anyway, what I originally ment was that having an E and a P as in your original post would not be enough information to simply write a depth shader, as E and P are still values in 3D space. The one more function that you need is how to project those values onto a 2D plane (the image that is rendered out). If this (generating eye rays based on the location of the pixel) has already been handled in the API, then its probably smooth sailing. If not, ouch...

Eitherway, I'm probably quite confused, and have hijacked poor ghostlake's thread. I'll stop yabbering now...

sevver
03-21-2008, 12:43 PM
Hi
very very nice
but I need just like them for lunux and for maya 2008 :)
ctrl-buffer isn't for linux
shader_p isn't for maya 2008 sp1 :(
please help :)

sorry for my bad english :)

MinaRagaie
03-22-2008, 03:25 PM
I'm probably quite confused, and have hijacked poor ghostlake's thread. I'll stop yabbering now...
ouch... me too... I didn't notice that. I'll stop here :)
Sorry ghostlake.
-Mina

calmasacow
04-21-2008, 07:18 PM
Well the 64 bit version of ctrl_buffers is out so now it is just a matter of finding a replacemtn for zDepth. We have not had time to work on it here as we have seen a dramitic increase in our workload and are all working 80+ hour weeks. Currently we have been using FinalRender Stage-2 just becasue the pass system is already there and "just works" we are hoping to come pback to MR and get something working with this toolkit once we get our plate cleaned off a little bit and get to catch our breath.

y-art
04-21-2008, 10:11 PM
but I need just like them for lunux and for maya 2008 :)
ctrl-buffer isn't for linux
shader_p isn't for maya 2008 sp1 :(

Hey,
shader_p is available for maya 2008 linux sp1 / ex2

http://www.puppet.tfdv.com/download/shaders_p_3.2b7_maya_linux64.zip

:scream:

MinaRagaie
04-21-2008, 11:21 PM
Hey,
shader_p is available for maya 2008 linux sp1 / ex2

http://www.puppet.tfdv.com/download/shaders_p_3.2b7_maya_linux64.zip

:scream:

is that out for windows yet??

*edit: nevermind... just found it :)
http://www.puppet.tfdv.com/download/shaders_p_e.shtml

ghostlake114
04-22-2008, 02:52 AM
A great news, Max from ctrl.studio have compile the 64bit version for ctrl.buffer, so my pack is 32 and 64 Bit Win now, mean much practice :drool:

The 64bit of ctrl.buffer
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpost.php?p=5100007&postcount=767

chuckie7413
04-22-2008, 12:41 PM
hey ghostlake114

excited by the fact that your render pass toolkit is now compatible with 64bit. I have been waiting for a while lol.

Downloaded and was following the install process but noticed that two of the shaders that need to be downloaded (JS_FlatColour and zDepthOF) have not been compiled for 64bit. Will this be a problem, im assuming it will be?

dinoiastefano
04-22-2008, 03:54 PM
hi, when i render i got this:

API 0.0 error 301031: call to undeclared function "buffer_write"
API 0.0 error 301032: while defining camera "perspShape": undefined shader "glbufferwrite"
API 0.0 error 301031: call to undeclared function "buffer_api"
API 0.0 error 301032: while defining instance "glcube": undefined shader "glbufferapi"

how come? any ideas?
thanks

ghostlake114
04-22-2008, 06:41 PM
hey ghostlake114

Downloaded and was following the install process but noticed that two of the shaders that need to be downloaded (JS_FlatColour and zDepthOF) have not been compiled for 64bit. Will this be a problem, im assuming it will be?

Oh sorry, I forget about JS_Flatcolour, the fact, this shader is for misss_pass only, so If you just want to extract pass from mia_material, just use my pack as normal. I will soonly make a n update to the misss_pass so it use another shader instead of JS_FlatColor, that is 32 bit.

About zDepth, it is a extra thing to create a custom zdepth pass for faking DOF,current version is 32, I have try to ask the author but he is not in the mood of making a 64 bit :shrug:

---
So currently, only mia_material is supported in 64 bit. But that is not so bad, I am using this pack day by day and it really save time, also the embed gamma of 0.454 in mia_material is fit for current MR rendering with linear workflow

API 0.0 error 301031: call to undeclared function "buffer_write"
API 0.0 error 301032: while defining camera "perspShape": undefined shader "glbufferwrite"
API 0.0 error 301031: call to undeclared function "buffer_api"
API 0.0 error 301032: while defining instance "glcube": undefined shader "glbufferapi"

You are missing ctrl_buffer, download and install it

dinoiastefano
04-22-2008, 08:24 PM
i did install the ctrl buffer, i wonder if i did something wrong and if anyone actually managed to get it working on x64

calmasacow
04-23-2008, 01:27 AM
I have never been able to get it to work just becasue there has never really been any good documentation or tutorials. there were a couple that come people had put on some wbesite but they are all gone now. Ctrl.studio are the kings of releasing unsupported stuff. who knows when we will hear from one of them again. I did read in the main crtl.buffers thread that several people have gotten it to work though.not sure about with the RPTK it is still missing the Zdof. wich perfonaly I have not use for as it's format is incorrect for what nost compositing applications expect for a z pass.

ghostlake114
04-23-2008, 03:35 AM
That s the reason I make this toolkit, to prevent newbie from too much setup with buffer thing, also save time for any project involve.

64bit work perfect. So are you using Maya 2008 SP1?

dinoiastefano
04-23-2008, 12:19 PM
sure i am :)

ghostlake114
04-23-2008, 06:53 PM
so could you check if buffer_store in material session to see if ctrl.buffer is installed?

fabis
05-17-2008, 09:20 AM
ghostlake114, please help me. Maybe you know this trouble, I read all thread ctrl.buffers but don't find any answers about this error message:

PHEN 0.4 error 051015: cannot map frame buffer: invalid fb index (14)
PHEN 0.4 error 051015: cannot map frame buffer: invalid fb index (15)
PHEN 0.4 error 051015: cannot map frame buffer: invalid fb index (16)
PHEN 0.4 error 051015: cannot map frame buffer: invalid fb index (17)
PHEN 0.4 error 051015: cannot map frame buffer: invalid fb index (18)
PHEN 0.4 error 051015: cannot map frame buffer: invalid fb index (19)
PHEN 0.4 error 051015: cannot map frame buffer: invalid fb index (20)

Your Render pass Toolkit based on buffer_write and buffer_api, but when I rendered with your shaders following your instructions, this bus is disappear, all passes rendered correctly. And if I create simple scene, and apply all shaders and nodes accordingly this tutorial (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpost.php?p=2028881&postcount=127) I get an error mentioned above.
Your ToolKit is great and it have more clear information than ctrl.buffer, but I want to understand mechanism and stucture of this rendering sequence. Thanks

ghostlake114
05-17-2008, 11:35 AM
have u click create pass node and make sure are using newest ctrl.buffer with 2008 expansion 2.

fabis
05-17-2008, 12:57 PM
Yes, I download and install newest (http://www.box.net/shared/i6hd2271qk#1:14611102) version of ctrl_buffer for Maya SP2. But don't understand what you mean "create pass node". Is this a create "buffer_store" button or something else? Perhaps you mean this?:
http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/8804/10766641fg4.th.gif (http://img443.imageshack.us/my.php?image=10766641fg4.gif)

ghostlake114
05-17-2008, 06:09 PM
I wonder If you are using my pack and read my manual :wip:...Create pass node is a button in my tool that create necessary node for pass rendering. then you my phenomenon and you get pass.

If you want to setup the pass manual, you could also look into scene after has press create pass node

fabis
05-17-2008, 08:38 PM
Oh, sorry, I think that you advice to press button without your mrRenderTool; think that here is another similar button called "create pass node". Now I understand the trouble which cause this error. I'm newbie in maya and I don't know that I need to create Custom Frame Buffers according to number of passes. Anyway, thank you. Now passes rendered without any bugs and errors. Thanks!

iduna79
05-18-2008, 12:23 PM
Great with the 64bit compatibility. Now I can try it out. Thanks

dinoiastefano
05-20-2008, 08:31 PM
yep, 64bit works, apart from zdepth of course. anyway, thanks for this toolkit!

Hardrawk
05-27-2008, 10:25 AM
Hi!

I my rendered layers turn out all black. I'm on a 64bit system.

I also get this error message in the output window

PHEN 0.3 error 051018: phenomenon "mia" root not found

Ghostlake: You say that on 64 bit it will only work with mia material? I assume all passes will work also? If it works with standard mia material, how come you have customized your own mia material..? Curious.. =)

Regards Johan.

ghostlake114
05-27-2008, 10:47 AM
My phen is also based on production shader. Could you unlock it in your Maya to see if the mip_rayswitch_advance work. I guess there may some missing point here.

The mia_material_x in maya give out multiple output, but It is just a feature but not feature because no way to use them. My task is make them work also add some minor thing and preserve the whole mia_material_x attribute (my phen also work as photon shader like mia_material_x does)

Hardrawk
05-27-2008, 01:15 PM
"My phen is also based on production shader. Could you unlock it in your Maya to see if the mip_rayswitch_advance work. I guess there may some missing point here."

How and where do I do this?

Regards Johan.

ghostlake114
05-27-2008, 02:29 PM
production shader is a wonderful pack come with 2008

http://mentalraytips.blogspot.com/search/label/production%20library

I doubt you get trouble with this pack because the error say missing root, that is my rayswitch.

Or have make correct installation as my guide (especially where to put the shader). The production library is load after my mia phen if you make wrong setup you will get this error.

Hardrawk
05-29-2008, 12:33 PM
I got it working, and works really good..!

One more question.. Is there any way to get the passes working without using any custom shaders like ctrl_buffers etc, only the mia_material_x, or is the implementation in maya so poor you have to use custom shaders..?

Regards Johan.

ghostlake114
05-29-2008, 03:29 PM
The answer is NO.

So buffer and multiple output of Maya MR is sth features that is un-featured stuff.

fabis
06-02-2008, 11:46 PM
Sorry for my ignorance but how can I change Reflection/Refraction glossiness samples in mia shader. Even if I change Glossiness to value less than 1, the samples are still disabled. Maybe I do something wrong?

ghostlake114
06-03-2008, 02:39 AM
I really dont know what s your trouble. When I change glosiness, the sample is available for tweak ;)

fabis
06-03-2008, 06:16 AM
Ahh! Terrible bug, I just re-install your Toolkit and trouble disappear. Perhaps I missed something in installation steps. Anyway, thanks again! But I have one question: Master Zap write very interesting article about combination misss_fast_skin and mia_material_x shaders (http://mentalraytips.blogspot.com/2008/04/beauty-isnt-only-skin-deep-combining.html#links), which allow to create nice reflections and speculars. Any chances to use similar conjunction with misss_fast_skin_pass or it is not impossible in accordance with limitation of your shader (use shader directly on object)?

ghostlake114
06-03-2008, 06:25 AM
I knew about that trick and is thinking of layer mia on top of my phen. Maybe I will spend this weekend to make this hack.

I am also thinking about a conversion script for misss_fast. Because the phen speed is slower than the truely phen. So will be better if we test rendering on a traditional misss_fast_skin. then convert to my phen when rendering.

fabis
06-03-2008, 06:52 AM
Yeah! That will be really great. I already use your very useful toolkit for my Maya=>Nuke workflow. This shaders save my time, thank you and thanks to Francesca. And yes, I try to render scenes with your phenomenon, sometimes it little bit slower than native phen, sometimes rendetime almost doubled, but this method, however, much faster than rendering process when I manually turn on/off some of the shader settings to create different passes.

strange_quark
06-07-2008, 01:12 AM
ghostlake; really amazing. thankyou for this.

so easy and elegant. I completely agree with your motivation for creating this; why has autodesk give us these amazing tools, but no way to really use them effectively or easily. But in max it works just like what you've made for us! oh well.

anyway. Is there any way to make fass_sss_skin work in 64 bit? can we switch out the JS_flatcolor for something else in the .mi file? Or do we really need JS_flatcolor compiled for 64 bit?

thanks for any info!

calmasacow
06-07-2008, 01:59 AM
ghost you site is down. Someone post these files I can mirror in the fure ghost if you need. I have loads of bandwidth.

fabis
06-07-2008, 02:17 AM
Hmm, strange, I check it now, and ghosts site is working.

calmasacow
06-07-2008, 04:34 AM
Firefox can't find the server at ghostlake114.3dvn.com

yeah still down here.

fabis
06-07-2008, 05:50 AM
I try again and it still working. Provider located in Vietnam, maybe this is a reason. Anyway, try this direct link (http://ghostlake114.3dvn.com/home/files/renderpasstoolkit1_0.rar) and mirror (http://royalgames.ru/temp/renderpasstoolkit1_0.rar)

calmasacow
06-07-2008, 05:58 AM
yeah says that it can't find that domain. The mirror worked Thanx.

this is the latest right the one that works with 64bit?

fabis
06-07-2008, 07:51 AM
Hm, most probably it is, because i just download it couple hours ago and reload into the mirror. This is an installation PDF (http://royalgames.ru/temp/Render_Toolkit_1.0.pdf), maybe it will be useful for those who can't open ghosts site

ghostlake114
06-07-2008, 07:23 PM
Thanks guy for make a mirror :D

Ya bottle neck is really suck in my country, so It may cause slowly connection or even time out when other country connect to my site :shrug:

ghostlake114
06-07-2008, 07:28 PM
ghostlake; really amazing. thankyou for this.

anyway. Is there any way to make fass_sss_skin work in 64 bit? can we switch out the JS_flatcolor for something else in the .mi file? Or do we really need JS_flatcolor compiled for 64 bit?

thanks for any info!

For flatcolor thing, I will remove it and make a conversion script instead of use misss_pass directly because of speed problem. The fact the flatcolor just affect the viewport thing, but the pass even without it is floating enough to add exposure thing to misss_skin

So my plan here

1. Add mia glosiness ontop of misss_fast_skin to make it glossiness. Should use this phen
2. Conversion script, so easily switch between misss_fast_skin to misss_pass phen.

fabis
06-07-2008, 07:40 PM
Actually, I was thinking about to find stable server where we can upload and collect all important shaders and scripts. Maybe also upload Toolkit in highend3d or similar site?

strange_quark
06-07-2008, 11:04 PM
well. i will build the js_flatcolor 64bit dll and send it over to you on monday. maybe u can use it if u want. i want to get a working version on 64bit for both mia and sss...

strange_quark
06-09-2008, 06:48 PM
as promised:

JS_FlatColor_x64.zip

seems to work fine here....

can someone eles test?

strange_quark
06-09-2008, 07:31 PM
so now that i have sss_pass working, i have noticed that it doesn't output floating point data.

EDIT:

my bad. the user framebuffers in the camera are set by default to +rgba, not +rgba_fp or half float like they should be...

i may update your script to fix this for us. we prefer to use half float... its the best control vs. file size.

thezuck
06-09-2008, 09:48 PM
this set up looks amazing...
im having a problem getting the mia pass shader to load correctly. i put it in the new C:shader/ directory and all......am i mistaken? there are no shaders that go in the include/ folder correct? sorry bout this...i know im doing something wrong. any help would be GREAT! thanks!

fabis
06-10-2008, 12:35 AM
thezuck, carefully read instructions, it is necessary to complete all installation steps for properly working shaders. You need to create two folders ('lib' and 'include') inside 'shader' folder, and then put into 'include' folder two foles: mia_pass_phen.mi and misss_pass_skin_phen.mi.

thezuck
06-10-2008, 04:11 AM
thanks for the reply fabis. I really think i did follow the instructions step by step. If i throw the mi files in the actually mentalray/include folder i see them in the hypershade but i only get black frames when i render. Im sure this is because that isnt what im supposed to do....but still. i went thru the instructions several times to no avail. i guess ill just have to keep tryin'
thanks anyways!

fabis
06-10-2008, 04:38 AM
Hm, apparently you something missed. According to instructions you need to create two main folders (lib and include) or use mentalray's folders that already exists, but wherever you drop this two mi-files, you need to describe a path to mi-files for Maya. So, create or open Maya.env in User_Document\maya\2008\ folder and type this lines:
MI_CUSTOM_SHADER_PATH = C:\shader\lib;C:\shader\include;
Change the path if you throw this files in another directory.

ghostlake114
06-10-2008, 04:13 PM
as promised:

JS_FlatColor_x64.zip

seems to work fine here....

can someone eles test?\

Ha, great, finally we could get it. Many many thanks you quark :thumbsup:.

strange_quark
06-10-2008, 11:13 PM
update: this will probably only work on 64bit windows

you may need the visual studio 2008 x64 redistributable to use this. i'm sorry but i dont' know how to compile it without this dependency.

if you need it:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=BD2A6171-E2D6-4230-B809-9A8D7548C1B6&displaylang=en

strange_quark
06-17-2008, 03:16 AM
may have found a bug, if i connect anything to cutout opacity, it seems to crash mental ray....

strange_quark
06-17-2008, 04:03 AM
update:

it looks like using BLACK in here, either by setting the value manualy to 0 or by connecting something that has black in it (like a 'checker' for example), will cause a hard crash.

i have tried fooling about with the .mi phenomenon settings, but i can't make it work...

:eek:

ghostlake114
06-17-2008, 05:47 PM
I found that thing a couple weeks ago but still not have time to look at it. I am in middle of a Non-Maya Non-Rendering Project so dont have chance to make update to the tool.

I am planning another toolkit that do much more this little hack (another render option that is more clear, better ui and embed pass for chosen like the Vray UI). When I have free time or do another project related to maya rendering, I will jump into it

Thanks all for supporting :love:

strange_quark
06-17-2008, 06:15 PM
Thanks for your reply. Appreciate the support of your free tool.

well. this fault is not yours, its a bug in the mia_material_x. i've tracked it down for about 2 hours last night.
here is the bug i've logged with autodesk:

--------------------

using any of the "result" outputs of mia_material_x when it has a cutout opacity of 0 will crash maya when u render.

for example: create a scene. create an mia_material_x. in "advanced" section of the mia, set the cutout opacity to 0. create a surface shader. connect the mia result to the surface shader color. assign to object and render with MR. render begins and then crash.

although this example is kind of simple, it just illustrates the bug. the same crash will happen when u try to utilize the mia_material_x multiple output to write to buffers, and at the same time use textures in the cutout opacity.

rasamaya
06-18-2008, 01:42 AM
the site keeps timing out. I will try with explorer now...
nope. Explorer doesnt work either.
hmmmf

I wanna play too.

fabis
06-18-2008, 02:31 AM
Use this (http://royalgames.ru/temp/renderpasstoolkit1_0.rar) and this (http://royalgames.ru/temp/Render_Toolkit_1.0.pdf)

rasamaya
06-18-2008, 02:57 AM
and this one is also 64 compatible?

Thanks...why is the site not viewable...I swar I was able to visit ghost site before.

Thank You

newuser2008
06-27-2008, 02:35 AM
Edited post.

ArianTibbs
07-10-2008, 07:37 PM
I guess the Mac and Linux are out in the cold again?

RassilonsRod
07-20-2008, 01:19 PM
That link doesn't seem to work for me... all I get is a blank page saying "no specified input file"

-Marc

zatlax
08-04-2008, 09:11 AM
same here! That link doesn't seem to work for me...
thx

fabis
08-04-2008, 03:59 PM
Huh, I have this tool, maybe will be better to upload this one into well known sites like highend3d or mymentalray, if the creator don't mind. What do you think, ghostlake?
P.S. Of course with link to your site.

strange_quark
08-05-2008, 01:21 AM
for some reason the mia Pass ambient occlusion setting won't allow you to change it to "ON with color bleeding". its in the miaX material and it works well there... would this be an easy fix?

ghostlake114
08-05-2008, 11:33 AM
my site is online now, I move the server so It is down for a while

Sure, i will put it in highend 3d after suffer some broken connection in past time

jcrogel
08-06-2008, 12:04 AM
Please do so,

Here's the link to the tools section upload. Let me know if you have any problems

http://www.mymentalray.com/index.php?option=com_shaders&Itemid=115&ClassId=5

Thanks

strange_quark
08-08-2008, 08:00 PM
i suggest you make this update to mia_pass_phen definition file.

line 82 WAS:

boolean "ao_do_details" default on,

should be:

integer "ao_do_details" default 1, #: min 0 max 2 enum "Off:On:With color bleed"

this will enable color bleeding AO...

nilscresneal
08-28-2008, 07:04 PM
hello sir
I try ur Render Pass ToolKit 1.0, but its not working in my Maya, i have maya 2008
can u mail me the full details vise file in any format exm. word pad or notpad
i love to see the final resul of thes toolkit.
Thanking You
Neal
nilscres@gmail.com (http://forums.cgsociety.org/nilscres@gmail.com)

EverZen
09-10-2008, 12:05 PM
Thanks a lot for sharing this.

I'm finding with my initial tests on the sss shader, as soon as I set up the SSS pass nodes, my render time goes from 15 seconds to nearly 5 minutes (on a simple test sphere lit with HDRI), even when I'm not batch rendering.

I know you said that your sss is slower to render, but I must be doing something wrong to get this result.

EDIT - Nevermind, set up a new scene and seemed to fix it.

One general problem I have using framebuffers though, is that when I use physical sun and sky all the layers come out far too bright, and I've no idea why. No problem with direct lights or hdri. Would be very interested to know what's causing that.

Cheers

vishalanand3d
04-01-2009, 07:32 AM
NOTE: NOW 32 AND 64 BIT WIN
http://ghostlake114.3dvn.com/home/images/stories/passrender.jpg Rendering pass with Mentalray for Maya is a problem from version to version. All user just want a ONE CLICK solution, but Alias, and now Autodesk, never think of us as end-user, but more "developer" when giving us pieces of shader, buffer, multi-output.

Ya, I wont make complain any more, this has been discussed too much on cgtalk.com also many other CG site. So I decide to make a Tool Kit to allow pass-render for Maya Mentalray with ONE CLICK SETUP.

. This version currently support mia_material and misss_fast_skin_maya

>>>---->>> MORE INFO AND DOWNLOAD HERE <<<----<<< (http://ghostlake114.3dvn.com/home/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=12&Itemid=27)

MIRROR LINK (http://www.highend3d.com/f/5347.html)

http://ghostlake114.3dvn.com/home/articles/mrtoolkit/final_00.jpg

Hello,
thanks very much for the plugin, its interesting, i tried ,but its not working for me,do u have any detailed procedure to install it .it will be real helpful, actuall problem is when is hit the occ pass, it says ,it cant create. and no passes are to be seen to be black.
plz let me know.

cheebamonkey
04-01-2009, 09:54 AM
Hello,
thanks very much for the plugin, its interesting, i tried ,but its not working for me,do u have any detailed procedure to install it .it will be real helpful, actuall problem is when is hit the occ pass, it says ,it cant create. and no passes are to be seen to be black.
plz let me know.

http://www.highend3d.com/f/5347.html

instructions.

Drosselmeyer
04-25-2009, 02:22 AM
One general problem I have using framebuffers though, is that when I use physical sun and sky all the layers come out far too bright, and I've no idea why. No problem with direct lights or hdri. Would be very interested to know what's causing that.

Cheers

Howdy,

This is due to the fact that the physical Sun/Sky is intended to be used with a Linear lighting workflow. Check your camera under the Mental ray tab. An exposure node was plugged in there increasing your Gamma to 2.2 from 1.0.

This is a very interesting topic, Linear workflow. Check out this link and tutorials. Lots of eye opening info here. Specific practices will vary, but the basic idea is the same.

http://www.floze.org/2008/07/six-tuts-on-light-and-shade-part-i.html

Cheers!

Dave

dim1984kimo
08-18-2009, 07:27 AM
hi,

The intro on highend3d.com are unavailable.

Please undate or make a new intro-document!

Thank you, thank you, ...,thank you*1000000.

;P

Narann
09-09-2009, 11:17 AM
lol I've done the same:

http://www.fevrierdorian.com/blog/index.php?post/2009/02/26/fdMiaMaterialXCreateFB-Cr%C3%A9ez-automatiquement-vos-renderPass-pour-le-mia_material_x

I was also working on SSS shaders :)

I hate the "pass system" of maya for now, I prefere use mia shaders everywhere and use my script :)

Sybexmed
10-05-2009, 09:10 AM
Hello, does your toolkit work for Maya 2009?

joie
10-05-2009, 02:35 PM
Do you have an explanation of your method in other languagge, english may be?.

Thank's, looks cool.

3DRenderer
12-18-2009, 06:37 AM
yeah, that'd be cool-ENGLISH

pix3lm0nk
12-18-2009, 11:42 AM
just use google translate. You'll get the gist of the site.

DQvsRA
01-17-2010, 05:25 AM
Hello.
I use maya 2009 and try to use your script.
Do everything what write in creativecrash:
http://www.creativecrash.com/maya/downloads/scripts-plugins/rendering/mental-ray/c/mentalray-render-pass-toolkit
and after try this in script editor:
source gl_mrRenderTool.mel;
mrRenderTool;
I have a error message like this:
// Error: file: C:/Users/DQvsRA/Documents/maya/2009/scripts/gl_mrRenderTool.MEL line 491: No object matches name: miDefaultOptions.minSamples //

What's happend?

Sybexmed
01-17-2010, 07:45 AM
Hey will this work for Windows 7 64bit?

crispy4004
01-17-2010, 08:34 AM
I don't get it, Deex releases a outstanding, super easy solution (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=87&t=843425&page=1&pp=15), granted it's in early stages, and Sagroth writes a extensive tutorial with yet another new script (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpost.php?p=6301980&postcount=28). Why are there people still asking if this old solution works with versions past 2008?

DQvsRA
01-17-2010, 09:15 AM
Thnx for this information!
Deex create a very usefull stuff !!! So far soooo GOOODD!!

CGTalk Moderation
01-17-2010, 09:15 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.