PDA

View Full Version : 3dsense Media School /SINGAPORE or Bournemouth University/UK

m3tcy
03-01-2008, 03:51 AM
Hello Everyone,

3dsense Media School /SINGAPORE and Bournemouth University/UK these are the 2 colleges I have shortlisted to go in for my future studies. I am little confused on whatís better for me.:rolleyes:

3dsense Media School /SINGAPORE offers a Diploma in Animations and have topics like sketching and sculpting covered in their course more over they have been ranked one of the top 10 colleges in the world apart from UK and US.

Bournemouth University/UK has MA in 3D Computer Animation to offer, they have been ranked as no.1 in UK but I donít know how detailed they teach the software in MA course.

It would be nice if artists out here can guide me in the right direction and even shed some light on the Bournemouth course content. I need to take a decision soon

NOTE: Ranking is as per 3D World magazine

ManuelM
03-02-2008, 10:43 PM
if i had the choice between those two, i'd go for bournemouth. i've been working in s'pore for some time and i saw a couple of reels from 3dsense students and i think on average the quality of their reels could be improved a lot. i haven't seen a lot of reels from bournemouth but the university has a good reputation and it seems many of their students find good work in london's studios after they finish their studies. aprt from that, afaik bournemouth will also give you a government approved diploma, whereas 3dsense is a private institution, so their certificate might be worth less, when it comes to working abroad (visas and stuff).
another thing i'd consider is that if you choose to study in singapore, most likely you'll enter the job market in se-asia, where projects are often times not that good and pay is low. studying in UK in proximity to london might give you better working conditions in case you manage to aquire a job over there after your studies...
thats my two cents. hope it helps.
cheers,
m.

m3tcy
03-03-2008, 06:28 AM
Thanks a lot Manuel for replying I guess you have brought to notice about certain important things like 3dsense reel, the degree provided and of course job prospects :)

I certainly am looking at the best job opportunities to come my way, but was wondering would the new UK Visa policy affect me in any ways??

More views and perspective of individuals on this topic would be nice

al35mm
03-03-2008, 09:52 AM
I'm not really in the best position to comment because I have never trained in 3D. However, I was reading an article the other day regarding private training centres, and educational centres. The answer was that the most important thing for getting a job, is the quality of your show real. If a studio gets a mediocre demo real from a guy who has great qualifications, and a great, stand out demo real off a guy with no qualifications, who are they going to give the job to? The demo real is the thing that will sell you.

As far as England's new visa rules, I think that so long as you have skills required by a company that needs you and wants to take you on, and perhaps be able to back your skills up with qualifications, you probably won't have any problems.

So I'd say your probably better off going to Bournemouth Uni, learning what you need to create a stand out demo, and within reach of many higher paying studios.

Jinian
03-03-2008, 01:26 PM
I had to think this through as well, while i was in Singapore and i had a lot of time to explore my options. You may want to try out One Academy in Malaysia if you find Bournemouth too expensive. They have an optional 4th year where you can jump in at the very last year of studies and acquire your degree at Bournemouth and actually graduate there.

CGTalk Moderation
03-03-2008, 01:26 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.