PDA

View Full Version : Bouncing Ball-Basics

rdsarna
02-29-2008, 08:46 PM
Hi ppl!
This a bouncing ball.....Plz tell me what does the "ball" feel like? Suggestions and critiques most welcome and needed!

http://www.vimeo.com/740250

Tollman
02-29-2008, 09:01 PM
what kind of a ball is it?

either way, it's floating in the air for far too long, if it is a bathing ball it isn't too far away, but still hanging in the air, also the forward movement stops in mid air, and again if it is a very light, big ball, it could brake in the air by the friction but it looks kind of wierd..

but a good start. keep it up

//Jonas

rdsarna
02-29-2008, 09:04 PM
Hey Jonas!
Its a big balloon or air ball. Is it looking like such?

rdsarna
02-29-2008, 09:38 PM
Here's a newer version....incorporating the suggestions from Jonas....

http://www.vimeo.com/740483

C&C needed!

Sercheli
03-02-2008, 06:13 AM
Hi RDSARNA.

First of all, sorry about my English.... it's not my first language.
Here are some comments about your bouncing ball:
It's difficult to know what type of ball you are animating (light, heavy, solid, etc?).

Because it stays a long time floating in the air, suggesting it's very light, but when it reachs the floor, it doen't bounce... indicating a heavy ball.
What I'm trying to say is that you animated 2 different kinds of ball...

Suggestions:
- every animation begins with knowing what you are going to animate.
- you also need to decide if it will be a realistic or non-realistic animation
- if it's a realistic animation, try to stick to the real behavior of the object
- if it's more like a cartoonish animation, try to use the animation principles (timing, squash and strech, etc)
- try to stage better the whole scene... like... the floor could be a little bit higher in your composition.

Well, I hope it helps. :)

rstratton
03-03-2008, 08:23 PM
Because it stays a long time floating in the air, suggesting it's very light, but when it reachs the floor, it doen't bounce... indicating a heavy ball.
What I'm trying to say is that you animated 2 different kinds of ball...

I agree....it looks as though you are creating a light ball but its forward momentum is stopping for no reason. If there is something like wind effecting it you should probably indicate that some how. If nothing is affecting it then the balls momentum should continue forward until the ball completely stops bouncing, which if it is light you do need more then just one or two bounces to end its movement.

rdsarna
03-03-2008, 08:32 PM
Hi Sercheli!
Thanx alot for the crits....I've tried to improve on it....Actually I wanted to give an illusion of a BIG air ball, which is why it doesn't bounce up so much.....see if I've been able to do so in this version...

Hi Randy!
Thanx Alot! I've tried to improve the arc so that it doesn't seem to stop that abruptly but slows down slowly due to air resistance.....Thanx again and do check out the new version and critique!

here's the next refinement on the basis of the critiques i've got.....

Air Ball Refined (http://www.vimeo.com/740768/)

Do tell whats wrong with this and if it looks a bit better or not....

rstratton
03-03-2008, 09:22 PM
The forward momentum/forward arch when the ball enters the scene and starts its decent is still dying to much. Its nice that you added the forward movement on the ball when its bouncing later in the animation but I would let the first arch go a little further because right now it looks like it is hitting something and just dropping.

Sercheli
03-05-2008, 01:36 PM
That's much better!

Now that I understand what you are trying to achive (a big air ball, very light, like a bubble):

- you can notice that bubbles, or baloons change form while in the air.... it doen's stays like a perfect sphere all the time....
- you can play around with some deformers (lattice, for example) and animate the form of the ball, so it has a very little and slow deformation on it's form.

Another thing:

- people just perceive movement when there is something (another object or shadow) as a reference.
Like, if you create a tree (very simple, cartoon, like a vertical cilinder and a ball on top), or you could create a rock on the floor... so it could be used (for the human eyes) as reference for your movement.

But you are in the right way.... :)

Sp3ctre
03-06-2008, 07:06 PM
I get what you're trying to accomplish. I've seen beach balls actually slow down in the air curving upwards after being thrown and then drop down, but they don't bounce that much. So, potentially, you could cut out a bounce or so and just have it roll around slowly. I don't think a ball this light, falling so slowly would bounce that many times or for that long.

CGTalk Moderation
03-06-2008, 07:06 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.